BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Expanding Space Marines to 1750

Apparently, most of the games at one of my FLGSs are played at 1750, an odd points value that I've never played at before. Here's the list I've got so far - anyone want to lend a hand and help me figure out how to spend those last hundred points?

HQ
    • Terminator Librarian w/Storm Bolter

Elites
    • 5 Terminators, 1 Assault Cannon, 1 Chainfist
    • 10 Sternguard Vets, 3 Combi-Meltas, Power Fist Sergeant, in a Drop Pod
    • Hellfire Dreadnought (TL Lascannons/Missile Launcher)

Troops
    • 10 Tactical Marines, Plasma Gun & Plasma Cannon, Power Weapon/Meltabombs/Teleport Homer Sergeant, in a Rhino
    • 10 Tactical Marines, Meltagun & Missile Launcher, Power Weapon/Meltabombs/Teleport Homer Sergeant, in a Rhino

Fast Attack
    • 2 Landspeeder Typhoons

Heavy Support
    • Predator w/TL Lascannons & Heavy Bolters

This leaves me with 105 points to spend. Here are some things I've been thinking about:
    • Scouts?
    • Scout Bikers?
    • Ordinary Bikers?
    • Techmarine to ride down with the sternguard (and bolster a ruin)?
    • Drop pod for the dreadnought?
    • Something else?

Other stuff I could do to scare up a few more points, opening the door to more expensive additions:
    • Downgrade the pred's lascannon to an autocannon (now that I have lascannons on the dreadnought I don't need them as much)?
    • Alternately, downgrade the dreadnought's lascannons to a less expensive upgrade that's still compatible with its role (heavy bolters, autocannons, plasma or assault cannons)?

Anyway, what do you think?
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 10-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

How about a thunder fire cannon for a 100pts and you can still bolster ruins for the strenguard.
    thats my thought

Veteran-Sergeant

If I'm honest with you EP, theres never a reason to go the TL las route. Autocannon and 2 las sponsoons is cheaper but far more efficient. Would use the spare points to add 2 regular meltas to the sternguard, and a 4th combi (3 meltas per combat squad, if you choose that route. Averages enough to roast any vehicle in 1 round.)

Would swap the missile to a multi melta in the tactical squad. Missile and melta mix is like mixing the opposites, do it ends up fairly inefficient.

As for the last 100 points. Perhaps a vindicator? Or a 3rd typhoon? Or maybe a pair of attack bikes?

I would advise trying to put another scoring unit on the table. I find that more often than not lists like this end up putting out a lot of damage throughout the game and then finish by losing because they can't score enough objectives in the end. You're only 20 marines away from playing for a draw. Combat squads can help to a point, but I'd feel better about the list as a whole if you added another troop unit.

Sniper scouts can happily sit in cover on a home objective and free up your power armour dudes to go do their thing. They're erratic and won't ever do lots of damage, but they're still very useful (and in cover with camo cloaks, surprisingly hard to shift!). Buy them a heavy weapon for extra killing.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan