BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caliban's End

Chaplain

Just to clarify- The tale of two heads talking is gives two stories, one- that the deathwing painted there armour white in preperation for death when a single squad cleared an entire world of genestealers. That tale is a cover up for the real reason, which is that the deathwing are part of the inner circle and are in fact hunters of he fallen (so doublewing armies are actually fluffy). Both stories- the former and the second have both been retconned several times back and forth, with the white at one stage being the blood of the genestealers they killed. The story was originally published in one of GW's monthly comics ("Inferno" I believe) and should not be considered canon. However the point of the story is that the Dark Angels have secrets within secrets.

Its also worthy of note that in 'The Primarchs' Lion El Johnson takes Ouroboros from Typhus (at this stage declared for the Warmaster) and also from Iron Hands Loyalists, declaring himself neutral. The story also sees the Lion state that he would happily kill his brothers on both sides of the conflict and destroy his own chapter as he believes only the Emperor, or himself could rule and he would rather see Guilliman and Horus dead than ruling and was happy to waste his chapters lives to do so. Also the Daemon engine Ouroboros has mechanicum-cultists tending to it, who bear resemblance to the watchers in the dark.

Also just for background sake- Dark Angels generally have the names of fallen Angels/demons from Judeo-Christian sources, with the dark Angels representing a charicature of the corruption within the catholic church in the middle ages. Luther however, and his side of the DArk ANgels civil war generally have better names, and Luther himself is parallelled with the Luther of the reformation (generally seen as a good guy who rebelled against the corruption, and also started protestantism in protest). But then the Imperium are the 'good guys' and Luther having thrown his lot in with chaos it gets pretty convoluted. Anyway my point is not to assume that the Dark ANgels are clean cut and that there secret is the fallen. There secrets have secrets and it makes the chapter quite enigmatic and fun.

Librarian

way to go with the spoiler alert

tale of two heads talking, is mentioned in the last codex, so now is canon.

but yeah, the DA have a very long and twisting history.
    i have not looked into the religious aspect of the DA so cant comment.

but my own opinions (i am quite vocal on them TBH) on the DA is that luthers men are the green DA and the black 'fallen' are the lions men. t'chulka seeing the lion at odds with his father/brother (as luther was both), did what it thought was best for him and removed the marines loyal to the lion. leaving the calibanites on what was left of caliban (alduruch, tower of angels) to later cover up the failings of their primarch and kill anyone who knew the truth.
    t'chulka was a warp engine capable of matter transferance/teleportation over great distances and with ease, it easily moved an entire fleet in the blink of an eye (the lion). this may be the reason for the deathwings use of teleportation tactics.
    the current art on DA shows the mechanicum creatures (they may be adepts in the shape of watchers, or watchers, or just adepts) tending to an unknown sperical object, this may be part of t'chulka as it was described as being more in the warp than in real space, there may have been access points created other than the main t'chulka device (which was large enough to need a facility and ate people at an alarming rate)

the tech adepts on perditus, i did not read as like watchers however, the watchers i read as watchers (he talks to them in the closing scene). the adepts are openly named as 'order of the dragon' however, which is the cult of dark mechanicum on mars that revere the hidden knowlege sealed in the vaults by the emperor when he claimed to be the omnisiah. (see mechanicum)
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 10-08-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Brother-Sergeant
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Thornblood View Post
    The story was originally published in one of GW's monthly comics ("Inferno" I believe) and should not be considered canon.
    The Tale of Two Heads Talking dates back to at least 1994, if not earlier. It's from an anthology called either Dark Millennium or Deathwing (I think), but in either case it's ancient and as with all ancient fluff, is of debatable accuracy.

I like the vagueness about the story though. Space Marines are mythical figures in the eyes of the average imperial citizen, especially a chapter as shrouded in mystery as the Dark Angels. Having variant versions of the tale reinforces that.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Psyfer View Post
    The Tale of Two Heads Talking dates back to at least 1994, if not earlier. It's from an anthology called either Dark Millennium or Deathwing (I think), but in either case it's ancient and as with all ancient fluff, is of debatable accuracy.

I like the vagueness about the story though. Space Marines are mythical figures in the eyes of the average imperial citizen, especially a chapter as shrouded in mystery as the Dark Angels. Having variant versions of the tale reinforces that.
    The original short story was in the Deathwing anthology. Always thought it was strange that the story spoke of DA recruiting from a basically Native American population, yet the artwork of the period (including the cover of the anthology) basically pictured Dark Angels as Nordic blondes.

Librarian

the original was in space hulk v1s expansion, come on people.

it was expanded in other forms and the one we know now was seen in the 90's in 'inferno' the monthly fiction rag from GW (was it pre BL? i cant remember), yes it was in the deathwing anthology but that was only a reprint, just like the anthologies we have today.

and again, since it has been mentioned in a codex. that makes it canon.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    way to go with the spoiler alert

tale of two heads talking, is mentioned in the last codex, so now is canon.

but yeah, the DA have a very long and twisting history.
    i have not looked into the religious aspect of the DA so cant comment.

but my own opinions (i am quite vocal on them TBH) on the DA is that luthers men are the green DA and the black 'fallen' are the lions men. t'chulka seeing the lion at odds with his father/brother (as luther was both), did what it thought was best for him and removed the marines loyal to the lion. leaving the calibanites on what was left of caliban (alduruch, tower of angels) to later cover up the failings of their primarch and kill anyone who knew the truth.
    t'chulka was a warp engine capable of matter transferance/teleportation over great distances and with ease, it easily moved an entire fleet in the blink of an eye (the lion). this may be the reason for the deathwings use of teleportation tactics.
    the current art on DA shows the mechanicum creatures (they may be adepts in the shape of watchers, or watchers, or just adepts) tending to an unknown sperical object, this may be part of t'chulka as it was described as being more in the warp than in real space, there may have been access points created other than the main t'chulka device (which was large enough to need a facility and ate people at an alarming rate
    I believe in this as well, but it isn't to supported in angels of darkness or the HH books. I think the codex will paint the fallen as renegades in the alpha legion way, banished but not chaos (although some did fall to chaos). But this also the coolest part of the DA IMO, is all up in the air until they but the lid on it and say its on way or the other.

Were can I find out more about this t'chulka? I'm newish to da (about a year) and have only just started reading fluff books and such.

Librarian

the book, the primarchs. the story 'the lion'

its a great read (or listen if you prefer the audio books). tells the tale of the lion 'running' from the night haunter only to stumble upon a planet he himself brought to compliance.... a planet that had a secret few knew of. and he intended to keep it that way.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    the book, the primarchs. the story 'the lion'

its a great read (or listen if you prefer the audio books). tells the tale of the lion 'running' from the night haunter only to stumble upon a planet he himself brought to compliance.... a planet that had a secret few knew of. and he intended to keep it that way.
    I have that book, but its like 3 or 4 on my reading list.

Speaking of caliban, didn't astelean attribute part of the destruction to the planet being stripped and industrialized? Something along those lines was mentioned during his interrogation...

Librarian

yeah fallen angels covers that part and astellans part in the DA at the time

i dont wanna spoil the books so i try not to tell too much

TBH i would just jump to read 'the lion' it and the emp childern one (about lucius) are the only ones worth reading.

Veteran-Sergeant

I play the fallen so this the more of the things I learn the more I want to finish painting my army. Maybe I'll grab that audio set that came out with dv, is that any good?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast