BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Well.... Eat my hat.
    I thought the Hat hammer days were over...

I see where you are going though. Ultimately this is a hobby, and we buy into it knowing that regardless of how much we spend on it, we don't need it to survive, regardless of how we feel about FW vs GW. I guess they are doing something right with marketing, considering we're all on the internet discussing it to begin with. They've got us exactly where they want us.

Yep, they gots us by the balls man!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

At no point did I say being 14 was a negative thing, my point was that writing for a teenage demographic uses a different style than writing a military history. Example terry prachett writes two types of disc world books. The main series and a young adult series. I have read and own both, this isn't a bad thing and both are super enjoyable, it's just the writing style. I never said that the codexs where bad I just sai they where written in the style that is used for books written for teenagers. Harry potter is another example of this written for teenagers but loved by adults every where. A military history is a different style and is written with the target audience being adults, this doesn't mean teenagers can't read or love them (as I did as a teenager) it is just the style. Alan Bligh and steve Ambrose are not going to be winning any awards for young adult fiction any time soon.

As for people behaviour I would think you would find that in gaming circles 14 year olds tend to step up and act in a more mature way as they are surrounded by adults, it's part of the process of growing up and learning how to be an adult and how to behave in social situations. As for the adult who flips the table one could observe that dispute being an adult their behaviour has never matured. In fact flipping a table is the act of a child (4-10 years) rather that of a teenager or adult.

It doesn't matter which type of book you enjoy, nor does it define you as a mature or immature person (I make plane and tank noises) as long as you enjoy your hobby. We are playing with toy soldiers after all. I mearly wish to note that I noticed the two different writing styles. It has also being interesting to note people's reaction to the term 14 year old, as it seems everyone has taken it negatively where in reality there is nothing negative about it, just people's perceptions.

Anyway I'll end my social commentary and experiment here

Montpup - Your choice of wording is, at least in any of the many parts of the US I've lived in, exactly the way someone might phrase "x is immature, y is mature". For example "Justin Bieber is for 14 year old girls, adults listen to real music". You ran into an idiom problem.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Tl;dr.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by imperialpower View Post
    I think the prices of FW models really show that it's aimed more at mature customers unless mummy or daddy buys them for their silver spoon kids anyway but that's beside the point I think the codex is what it is a game aid somthing you use in probably 99% of your games so doesn't need to be packed with in depth background
    Or, I dunno, a kid that saves his money and decides he wants some Tartarus terminators instead of call of duty 12. That silver spoon Crap is a load of BS.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Or, I dunno, a kid that saves his money and decides he wants some Tartarus terminators instead of call of duty 12. That silver spoon Crap is a load of BS.
    I'm 16... I worked for my Dark Vengeance... cant afford anything else now... the semi job I had ended (coupon handing out, no one was using the coupons)... I would kill to be able to get forgeworld stuff

on the current talk about 14 year olds... kids that are into collecting an actual army and have read atleast one black library book... are pretty damn mature, comparative...

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm 16... I worked for my Dark Vengeance... cant afford anything else now... the semi job I had ended (coupon handing out, no one was using the coupons)... I would kill to be able to get forgeworld stuff

on the current talk about 14 year olds... kids that are into collecting an actual army and have read atleast one black library book... are pretty damn mature, comparative...
    Yup most kids now days are pretty much little punks who don't have silver spoons...they have silver other things though im sure -_-
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Forge World makes an attempt to do 40K as military history
    Yeuss. This. Kinda.

For all the shallow reads of "oh, there's Space Maureens, so it's all dumb, hurr hurr" that 40K invites, the older material's got a lot of experience and knowledge in it. Priestley, Jonson, et al. had their intellectual hands in a lot of literary pies, and 40K's original strength comes from its pastiche nature. Moorcock, Dune, Tolkien, Star Wars, history, anthropology and mythology all mixed together to form a whole that had frayed edges, but managed to feel vast and inviting due to its willingness to cross highball fantasy and dry verisimilitude. An understanding of military history underpinned a lot of this. You have giant tank battles on Tallarn, or the slow-burn drama on Armageddon as the Imperials hunker down for an endless greenskin siege. Sure, there's Space Marines and all, but they were leveraged in realistic ways, and the rest of the universe worked along similar principles.

Nowadays, Forgeworld's the only one carrying on that tradition. Meanwhile the Codexes that get farted out from the modern Studio are all mired in the incestuous swamp of the Warhammer 40,000 Franchise/IP, the diminishing returns of a system that's not allowed to have energy put into it anymore, scribbled down by a staff that's seemingly disinterested in anything beyond the most broadly recognizable pop culture. It's fine to make fun of them (and their audience) - they're the Nickelback of game writing.

I was in full time employment when I was 16, jus' sayin'.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast