BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

Only Independent Characters can join squads. Normal characters can't join squads unless they are already included in the squad.
    The Doom of Malan'tai, for example, is a character because it is 'Unique'. However, it cannot join units.
    Yeah but where is the rule that states that "Unique" characters must be alone? Just would like fore personal reference of-course.

Quote Originally Posted by Animus Silvanna View Post
    Yeah but where is the rule that states that "Unique" characters must be alone? Just would like fore personal reference of-course.
    There is no rule. However, there is no rule that a unique character can join units, either. It all comes down to whether or not the model in question has the Independent Character rule. As page 110 says, special characters like Crowe are unique, even if they don't specifically have the unique rule printed in their entry. Page 5 of the BRB FAQ, in turn, specifies:

Q: Do models classified as unique count as characters? (p63)
    A: Yes, but not in the case of vehicles (with the exception of Bjorn the Fell-handed).

Note, though, that a unique model counts only as a character - not an independent character. Thus, a unique model cannot join a unit unless it explicitly has the Independent Character rule. Crowe is an example of a unique model that doesn't have Independent Character, and thus he cannot join a unit - even though, as a unique model, he is a character, and thus can participate in challenges, make precision shots/strikes on to-wound rolls of 6's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Hmm, it is purely RAW and the reason i brought it up was to ask for any possible faulties in my logic. I do not understand why anyone would be so upset if I used a skill on a character that "is working as intended"?
    The person you're playing against might object when you explain how Crowe's masterful sword-skills somehow make his psychic flames better, that's all. Chances are in the next FAQ his sword will be upgraded to use a typical weapon profile. There's nothing wrong with the opposing player saying "Hey, this seems to make the character much more powerful and was most likely unintentional, can we play it differently?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Animus Silvanna View Post
    There isn't a rule like that - but the only thing that allows a lone model to join another unit is the Independent Character rule. Crowe does not have the Independent Character rule, and thus can't join units.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 11-08-2012 at 10:53 AM.

I had never thought this before, but as RAW, Castellan Crowes Cleansing Flame is rending stuff up on 4+

Codex Grey Knights
    page 42, Master Swordsman:

His close combat attacks have the Rending special rule, and will rend on a To Wound roll of 4 or more.

and to back original claim up:

FAQ Grey Knights 1.1 for 6th edition

Q: Is Cleansing Flame a shooting attack or a close combat attack? (p31)
    A: A close combat attack.

So, does this indeed mean that: Crowes Cleansing Flame is indeed rending on a 4+, or am i missing something?
    The only thing that might prevent it is that it might not be considered a "To Wound" roll even though you are rolling to see if it causes a wound.

Dunno, they do these campaigns / tournamenst every once in a while, taking turns in FaBa and 40k.. It's not that big of a problem, i got full sized table, and more GW terrain that can even fit on it at home, thus my group practically always comes here to play..

Also, i just remembered two other reasons why i didn't join (f.ex my IG):
    - No Heavy 1 weapons on flyer can shoot flyers (GG Vendettas / Stormravens with multimelta / TL LC)
    - Wounds couln't be allocated to models that were hit by blast if there was no los to them (contrary to the clear rules in the book)

Anyway, thats off topic. Time to get back to Crowe, Characters and general lament for the haters of grey knight order
    Your local meta is totally F*ked up. They really should realize they are turning people away more than helping those who want to play. You should bring a tourney ready necron force and make them ban fliers all together. I mean seriously, what makes the flier's heavy weapon rule valid.. Not to mention their blatant ignorance of the rule book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12