BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Does anyone actually paint and play Ultramarines ?

Just wondering why the boys in blue are the poster boys for GW ? Not slighting the chapter in anyway but there does seem to be a plethora of other more interesting chapters, many of the "codex compliant" chapters seem to be more flavourful than the Ultras to me. Just wondering who is or has played ultramarines and what drew you to them.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

I put bits from wrecked Ultramarines vehicles on the larger bases of my Exorcists. Does that count ?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I know at least 2 people who run Smurfs yeah, they're really popular with younger people too, since they tend toward Space Marines and the boxes and posters almost always show the Ultra's

My stepson uses Ultramarines as we got the assault on black reach boxed set to get him in to the game, I still have my Tau from the year dot. He's only 9 but he soon realised that if he painted the models as a non Ultramarine or other codexed SM chapters, then he wouldn't be able to get hold of any special characters.

Chapter-Master

Ultramarines were my first chapter. I took them on based on the fluff from WD126 (UK) - an EPIC article stating they had an over large proportion of techmarines, whcih meant they had massive fire support and planetary bombardments. I now and again add a unit here or there.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I am in the process of painting an Ultramarines army; Third Company as led by their new captain, Mikael Fabian. It is my fifth army.

Chaplain

I really like the roman archetype they use for the ultramarines, just because I've always been interested in the roman army and I like sci-fi so the ultramarines are a pretty natural selection. Colour scheme is bright making it more interesting to paint in my view but not overly complicated (like a quartered scheme say though I do like those too)

Librarian

Ultramarines seem to be the starter army for most people. They then either drop out, never picking up anything else (hence the preponderance of second-hand Ultramarines stuff with AWFUL paintjobs on eBay), or else they learn that they're not allowed to like Ultramarines any more (because everyone else plays them/Matt Ward likes them/they're the beginner's army), and nerd peer pressure forces them to change to something else. Which is a shame. Either that or they see the shiny models other Marine armies get (Sanguinary Guard, I'm looking at you, Best Marine Kit Ever Irregardless Of Rules) and go "I think I'll do them".

Mostly I think it's a peer pressure thing. Gamers are really bad for it.

I generally don't play Space Marines, but when I do I break out my Ultramarine army which I add to from time-to-time. I like having an army that is essentially the archetypical Space Marine army. I also like the Roman army theme.

Chaplain

I've met alot of ultramaines players over the years and countries I've been in actually.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast