BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    I disagree with this. A person who is interested in an aspect of something will do it. They will not necessarily strive to improve their game. I assume you're a Warhammer fan, since you're here. Do you really strive to improve the quality of your painting, modeling, and playing, beyond simply doing them? Most Warhammer fans I know of will strive to improve to a certain point, and then decide simply to do, because striving to get better is no longer worth the time.
    Seeing as I sculpt professionaly I'd say I do.

I think my point has not come across well, let me rephrase it.

If someone is dedicated enough with their training then they make the necessary changes, both in terms of the styles of training and their diet, the body then follows, you just need to adapt your training based on what you're striving for and if you've reached that point then well done, you've achieved what you set out to do, if not, then something needs to change.

The thing is it's obvious who is there to make those changes or maintain them, compared with who is there to pull or get attention (and yes, this happens with both genders).

As for your second point about sports fans, well that's not really something I'd know anything about, I'll support my country during things like rugby (football and cricket and especially tennis does not interest me) but I'm not mad about it I've always preferred playing sports rather than watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    I myself would say I'm a heavy metal fan - I enjoy listening to it, I enjoy going to gigs. Nightwish are one of my favourite bands, I own all their tracks (even the rare ones), I know all the lineup changes that Nightwish went through (and that they were way better with Tarja), but I can't tell you what type of guitar Emppu uses - do I fail the Nightwish geek test?

Or do I pass because I know why he uses a different one than his trademark purple guitar in the Bye Bye Beautiful clip?
    I was talking to a guy at work who was also a Nightwish fan, and plays guitar. He commented that it was a good model of guitar though I didn't understand fully why, not being musical myself, and then he commented that it was odd he changed recently. I of course told him the story of the changed guitars, and we both had a laugh about it.

Isn't enough to simply enjoy what we love with each other?
    Love each other? What sorcery is this????

You make a solid point there, but I think part of the problem might well have been my choice of gym metaphor, because it's one of those things where there are not fifty shades of grey (I cannot believe I said that...).

It all comes down to one thing:

Are you there to improve or try to improve yourself (be it size, strength or shape) in theory everyone is, which you would think is why they joined, but it then progresses, some people are content to come in day after day, doing the same routine over and over again, there's no change, no variation and there in lies the problem.

Have you achieved what you wanted to?
    A: yes - then well done, have a cookie and kudos on losing x number of pounds you wanted to shift or hitting a certain lifting weight, body fat % etc
    A: no - then what are you going to do about it? - keep working at it.

Use a gym, see what it's like, it's very obvious who is there trying to work hard (regardless of what they are wearing, lifting, or listening to) and who is there to try and pull/show off/perv.

The issue was people judging other people for not meeting their standards, as if their is some sort of mythical test that determines the "true fans" from posers or... I don't even know - n00bs or whatever.
    I may well have missed that point in the initial post, I saw the photo and the angry old man inside me (Bernard) woke up. But I don't think there's any kind of discrimination in gyms (the discrimination of "that person does not look good, or doesn't lift X amount of kg on clean and presses), certainly not with the larger guys (like deadlift) as I said, it's easy to see who is trying and who is not, regardless of what their training is like and that is where my initial rant came from (thinking of a very specific girl who pandas to the bicep boys and sadly is guilty of eyeing up the larger members).

Also as scadugenga points out, there are different views on what means what - here in Australia we don't have big fitness centres where you can just hang out but we certainly get plenty of pea***** in the gyms. They may be there for different reasons, but I don't doubt they enjoy going there. The same as I wouldn't doubt anyone's conviction if they dressed up as a comic/game/tv character - hell even if they don't know anything about the character and just felt like getting dressed up to go to a con who am I to judge or doubt them?
    It's a shame, Aus used to have an awesome gym scene.

As for cosplay events, people do what they want, if it makes them happy then why should they be censored.
    Last edited by Build; 11-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Build View Post
    eyeing up the larger members
    >_>

<_<

So anyways...

I may well have missed that point in the initial post
    For a neat summary of the OP, which is where I'm coming from, [URL="http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/35644420254/tonyharris"]check this link out[/URL] (it has a screencap of the Facebook post that started it all). I will warn you that it might make you depressed about humanity.

For reference the macro in the first post was created as a response to this one:

posted with this comment:

However, it is a pet-peeve of mine when I see a fashion model (for example) slip on a pair of glasses, hold-up a comic book over her ta-tas and then try to say “Look at me! I’m a gorgeous geek.” As a loud and proud geek, this offends me… that’s all. Someone can be a fashion model… or even a nude model. That’s fine. But people should embrace what they really are without lowering themselves to false-advertizement, you know?

by a writer for Newsrama, Bleedingcool and Image comics. Full account [URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/11/fanboy-rampage-jennifer-de-guzman-vs-dirk-manning/"]here[/URL].

If you have time, please give those links a read as it might make my position a bit clearer

[URL="http://feminspire.com/idiot-nerd-girl-has-a-posse-taking-back-the-meme/"]This article[/URL] is a really good read about the Nerd Girl Meme. I particularly like this:
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Id say shes not cos no one would wear those glasses by choice. Therefore they are a fashion statement in a hipster way and shes wearing "nerd" as a fashion statement., therefore suggesting its something she really aint.

Tje myth of non geek girls pretending to pull is somethkng created by the most rejected on geek classes to protect their egos at times.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Oh I don't know, you should see some of the glasses vintage girls wear. I also know some geeks and geek girls who look for the most unfashionable glasses they can find just as a poke at the whole nerds in glasses thing.

Of course even if she is just pretending the assumption is she is doing it to deceive as opposed to just poking fun at nerds by donning hte worst glasses she can find. Goes back to the whole 'women are deceitful' thing, clearly she can't just be being mean she must be out to trick nerds and rob them of their virtue and/or money.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

I don't know ? She just looks like a "self righteous up her own arse needlessly pouting know it all teenager" to me
    Basically like most teenagers lol. I am quite sure I was one many years ago.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

Honestly isn't this somthing more suited to a playground trying to brand people into different groups? I mean having a joke about been a nerd is one thing and hell I wish more of the girls I know and meet were into the same kind of stuff as me but it sounds like some people need to grow up and just accept that we don't all fit into these segregated little groups.

Chapter-Master

Is this the answer?lol

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

cos no one would wear those glasses by choice. Therefore they are a fashion statement
    What.

*blinks*

No, wait.

*reads quote again*

No, wait. What.

A "fashion statement" is a deliberate choice in clothing or aesthetic apparel designed to make a statement about who you are. A carefully considered choice.

So to restate what you've said: no-one would wear them by choice, which means that she's wearing them by choice.

I literally have no idea how your logic works.

self righteous up her own arse needlessly pouting know it all teenager
    A phrase which coincidentally describes every 40K internet pundit ever.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    A phrase which coincidentally describes every 40K internet pundit ever.
    Exactly. All these 40k fanboys, going round calling themselves nerds, they're just posers. The games got tanks and planes and stuff, no way that's nerdy. Only fantasy players are true nerds.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast