BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default Crusade/Heresy Death Guard Project

Just finished the first of my all Forge World Death Guard units for use in the new Horus Heresy expansion. I was really dubious my ability to pull off the Death Guard color scheme as it is deceptively complex and I am a fairly simplistic painter at best. I was so pleased with the results that I just had to post a picture just to show off a bit. I apologize for the low picture quality, I don't have great light at the moment.

I intend to complete a full Death Guard army (Isstvan III loyalists of course, though when they release Mortarion I will have to have him...), so if people are interested this can be considered the first installment. It will be a fairly long project as I have to squeeze it in between work and grad school but after this first squad's completion I am really excited to keep the project going.

All comments welcome
    Last edited by Just_Me; 11-23-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chapter-Master

death guard are cool, I look forward to seeing more
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Fly Lord

It really is a subtle tricky scheme. I welcome you my fellow DG brother.

I'm 4th Grand company, which are you?
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Other than the Mk7 helmet in the middle, looking good!!

www.queencityguard.com

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    death guard are cool, I look forward to seeing more
    I look forward to delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    It really is a subtle tricky scheme. I welcome you my fellow DG brother.

I'm 4th Grand company, which are you?
    Thanks! Truth be told I haven't actually decided which Great Company yet. My first instinct is 7th, Garro's Great Company. I'm a loyalist at heart. On the other hand I tend to like creating my own background when possible so I might end up choosing a different one so that I can fill in the blanks on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Other than the Mk7 helmet in the middle, looking good!!
    An easy mistake, but that is actually a form of MKIV helmet which mearly resembles the later MKVII (or rather, the other way around). Check out the Legion MKIV armor kits from Forge World and you'll see it includes several alternative helmet styles including that one. The green stripe denotes a squad sergeant.

Librarian

A small progress update, I recently made some additions to my original Legion Tactical Squad (a sprinkling of holstered bolt pistols and ammo pouches) as well as finished a second squad.

First squad again:

Second squad:

Both finished squads:

Librarian

I also have my leaders built and awaiting painting. I converted a Legion Moritat with bolt pistols (not the most efficient build but they look cool). I also want to give him a Charnabal Sabre representing him fighting in melee with his pistols at point-blank range, Grammaton Cleric style. I figure the boosted initiative and rending could represent the extra "reach" of short ranged shooting and increased chance to make a truly critical shot through an eye-lens or throat.

The second is my take on Crysos Morturg until we get and official model. Because I'm tired of waiting. Although with my luck it will come out about 30 seconds after I brush the final coat of paint on my model, and knowing Forge Word it will be spectacular and I will just have to get it anyway. I tried to model every piece of wargear he has and get a pose that captured his defiance and bitter determination to stand tall and endure anything thrown against him.

For both of them I chose to avoid helmet crests because they just don't seem to me to be the right style for the Death Guard in general and these models in particular. The Moritat is a ruthless lone wolf gunfighter who would eschew anything that would get in his way, while Crysos is grim outcast who has been shunted aside because his background and psyker talent and left to languish in an obscure dead-end command.

Last edited by Just_Me; 11-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Librarian

Finished Crysos Morturg today. I must say I'm extremely pleased with how he came out:

Comments welcome.

They look good so far. One observation on Crysos, since you picked out the studs on his helmet, the fact you left the studs on his backpack white stands out.

Scout

Awesome work I have just ordered my first parts of my own DG hope they turn out half as good

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast