BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default One particular thing I HATE about Facebook

When I first set up my Facebook page I intended it only as a generic means to keep in touch with friends I don't see every day. That's it. I do not care about my friends' extended group of friends. I do not want to get to know them. I certainly do not give one flying fornication about their opinions.

Lately I've noticed that some of my friends' friends seem to think it's cool to go into posts that mutual friends have commented on, on the pages of people their friends know (but whom they do not know at all) and make asinine comments. Yeah, I know I can mark my posts so that only friends can see them, but I don't think I should have to. I shouldn't have to go to any effort to keep some total f-tard I do not know from posting on my personal Facebook page. And in general I think people should have the common decency to not inject themselves into private conversations they are not a part of.

Is that really too much to ask?
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Iron Father

Can't stand FB, I deactivated my account for the very same reasons you have stated.

The other thing was those "like this picture if you blah blah blah" "ignore if you like animal abuse" etc etc.
    Sure I don't "like" cancer but I don't have to like a bloody picture to prove the point.

There was loads of those pointless sentimental bull**** pictures flooding my page from friends of friends etc. another reason I got myself of FB. It's mostly pointless drivel.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 12-16-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Don't have Facebook, never going to have Facebook.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I've had facebook since back when you had to have an email address from an approved College/University. Back when all statuses were of the form "Mark Smith is...". Back when you could only have a total of 64 photos uploaded at any time, and they all had to be pretty small and fairly pixelated. Back when it was actually a useful communication tool to organise study sessions, the occasional party and work out if it was worth calling someones home phone or pay quite a bit more to call their mobile (IF they had one, and that was a reanably big if...)

It was really useful. I have enjoyed having it these last few years and it has certainly made my life easier in many respects, especially with friends from primary school and the like who have spread themselves across the globe. I do have to agree though that it has changed for the worse.

Don't get me wrong; most of my Albums on their are more than 64 photos, and are of pretty high quality. I like that my status can actually be what is on my mind or informing people of something important rather than simply stating where I am. I lvoe the fact that via the magic of mobile technology I can have a chat with a good friend in New Zealand without it costing me a penny more than my phone contract.

It is the rest of it. I don't fully agree with the friends of friends making comments thing, as I have actually met some very cool people that way and formed some pretty decent relationships. Although I suppose that depends as much on the asinineness of the comments and I can certainly understand why that's be annoying. I do fully agree about the "like if you love/hate XXXYYY". If it is something inane, it is a waste of time and money. If it is something about hating a disease, stop making your pathetic pictures and use that time and effort to go out and raise money/awareness and actually do something positive with your life.

Lastly; the games. I have made my friends abundantly aware that I have no interest in playing them and losing so many hours of my life growing virtual crops. Admittedly I spend plenty of time on here, but generally that is constructive, inspiring and generally a good thing. Same for Minecraft and the like; I actually do something creative, with a small amount of drama/suspence thrown in when I go exploring, forget my torches because it is day light and find myself a very very long way from my house with no way of finding the way back until the sun come up. I have started unfriending anyone who sends me a game request (unless they have actually spoken to me about it and have given me a sufficiently good reason to give it a go). A couple of people got really annoyed at me for it. I still can't work out why. They never contacted me for anything else until I unfriended them? All of a sudden they can't believe I didn't want to be their friend. WTF?

So, to sum up (sorry, that got a lot longer than I thought) generally it is a useful tool still and I don't want to get rid of it, but I do wish they would provide some way of blocking out a lot of the crap!
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    When I first set up my Facebook page I intended it only as a generic means to keep in touch with friends I don't see every day. That's it. I do not care about my friends' extended group of friends. I do not want to get to know them. I certainly do not give one flying fornication about their opinions.

Lately I've noticed that some of my friends' friends seem to think it's cool to go into posts that mutual friends have commented on, on the pages of people their friends know (but whom they do not know at all) and make asinine comments. Yeah, I know I can mark my posts so that only friends can see them, but I don't think I should have to. I shouldn't have to go to any effort to keep some total f-tard I do not know from posting on my personal Facebook page. And in general I think people should have the common decency to not inject themselves into private conversations they are not a part of.

Is that really too much to ask?
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment that morons shouldn't post on the pages of people they don't know, the reality is they will. The internet has become the ultimate tool for free speech; people view it as a forum to air their views, no matter how pointless or offensive they may be. People don't feel constrained by the social niceties they would follow in real life. Rightly or wrongly, that is what it is and if we want to use Facebook and forums and twitter and whatever we have to accept this. If you have an issue with that, set your privacy settings so they can't. I don't see why it is an issue, you don't want them contacting you anyway, so don't let them.

I'd also suggest reviewing who you are friends with on Facebook. If any of my friends were friends with the kinds of cretins who posted on my facebook page uninvited it would be grounds for instant removal from my friends list.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

I'd also suggest reviewing who you are friends with on Facebook. If any of my friends were friends with the kinds of cretins who posted on my facebook page uninvited it would be grounds for instant removal from my friends list.
    This +1.

You set boundaries for your social life in real-life; why should Facebook do it for you? It is set up to get you to have as broad a social net as possible so it can maximise revenue because (surprise!) it's a business. As a result, like any computer program, it needs to optimised for your personal use. You don't like those inane pictures? Just unfriend the people who post them. If you're worried about offending people, send them a message first. Funnily enough, communicating with people is the key to success at a tool that is designed for communication.

Personally, I find Facebook an immeasurably useful tool because it's a much easier way than most to keep in quick and effective contact with old friends who have emigrated elsewhere (of which I have many) and family members who live far away (again, I have many). I use it as a different form of personal email - nothing more - and have been fine with it so far.

I deleted my account for a while to disconnect from the bullcrap. It was very cleansing.

When I was ready again, I remade an entirely new account and then readded the people whom I would have no other means of contact. When I have much fewer contacts, it's easier to manage what I get from them as well.

It makes facebook a tool rather than a black hole of morons.
    Calm down. This is supposed to be FUN.

Librarian

readded the people whom I would have no other means of contact. When I have much fewer contacts, it's easier to manage what I get from them as well.
    Is this not how people normally use Facebook?

Seriously, I've never understood the whole "We were mates at school, add me on Facebook!" thing. If I don't know you and speak to you on a regular basis, or we aren't once close friends separated by geographical distance, you aren't getting on my friends list. I also tend to have a yearly spring-cleaning of friends, unfriending the ones I've not spoken to in a year or so; seriously, what's the point in having them there? Any who complain... well, it's never happened yet, so it can't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Is this not how people normally use Facebook?

Seriously, I've never understood the whole "We were mates at school, add me on Facebook!" thing. If I don't know you and speak to you on a regular basis, or we aren't once close friends separated by geographical distance, you aren't getting on my friends list. I also tend to have a yearly spring-cleaning of friends, unfriending the ones I've not spoken to in a year or so; seriously, what's the point in having them there? Any who complain... well, it's never happened yet, so it can't be a big deal.
    That's the criteria that I used for the new ones. Needed a change.
    Calm down. This is supposed to be FUN.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have never had a facebook account and from the amount of people I know who have had arguments over the bloody site I think it's a good idea to continue to shun the site.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast