BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Dark Eldar 1750 "Meta-change" list

In 5th edition, my tournament lists focused around a lot of close combat mixed with shooting and relied heavily on the Flyer kits for sheer turn-one power. Flyers of course have gotten even better in some ways but the game has obviously shifted away from close combat.

In response, here is my Dark/Eldar "6th edition meta" list. This isn't a list designed to copy others, but it is designed to capitalize on new strengths created by the rash of changes in the 6th edition rules. Naturally, I've exploited the powerful synergy between the Dark eldar and Eldar codices as well as used the Aegis Defense Line to beef up the surprising durability of what I've long referred to as the "plexiglass hammer" nature of the Dark Eldar codex.

Without further delay, here is the list!

Core Army (Dark Eldar):
    HQ
    Duke Sliscus (Warlord)

Troops
    Kabalite Warriors (x20), Dark Lances (x2)

Kabalite Warriors (x5), Blaster
    Venom Transport, Dual Splinter Cannons, Nightshields

Kabalite Warriors (x5), Blaster
    Venom Transport, Dual Splinter Cannons, Nightshields

Fast Attack
    Scourges (x10), Haywire blasters (x4), Solarite

Heavy Support
    Voidraven Bomber, Shatterfield Missiles (x4), Night Shields, Flickerfield

Voidraven Bomber, Shatterfield Missiles (x4), Night Shields, Flickerfield

Ally Detachment
    HQ
    Eldrad (x1)

Troop
    Rangers (x5), Pathfinders (x5)

Fortification
    Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun

When we examine the list, we have a number of strong (indeed, sometimes exceedingly powerful) units that work surprisingly well in concert. While a large portion of the anti-tank firepower is invested in the Bombers, it's worth noting that the Scourges in particular can cause remarkable damage to most tanks even on purely average rolls. If a unit of Scourges were to control a Skyfire Nexus random objective, there is a very likely chance that they would handily destroy any flyer in range before even the Quad Gun. Against ground vehicles, they free up the underwhelming Dark lances and Blasters to focus on weaker targets while the Scourges reliably knock down Leman Russ, Monoliths, Land Raiders and similar big bads with ease, or at least set them up for a swift dispatch.

The 3+ poison unit is where the fun really begins. With rerolls from Eldrad through the Divination chart, the unit rarely even needs the Foreboding power to cause massive damage against enemy units on overwatch. When combined with Foreboding, this unit will readily wipe out most enemy infantry units in one round of shooting, regardless of player turn. The Venoms are a pleasant addition, functioning as mobile harassment units that often win games by kiting around enemy shooting and vehicle assault units. They also tend to do great at sniping out that one character alone in the back corner with their high mobility.

The Rangers have proven to be game-saving all-stars on many occasions. In particular, they are excellent at picking out enemy gun emplacements and turrets before the opponent has a real chance to fire, saving my aircraft from a swift death on numerous occasions. They also have that wonderful "AP1 on a 5+", meaning that half my hits against infantry ignore armor saves and rends can do immense damage to vehicles.

Eldrad of course is the real "Warlord" here, but Duke also steps up with a nearly one in three chance of giving his unit Feel No Pain from the get go and otherwise almost always being a strong candidate for accepting challenges. He also benefits the big unit with a lot of nasty shooting, and gives delivery options for the Venoms when parking them behind the Aegis line is not good enough to avoid damage. Eldrad too is a good challenger choice against low-wound HQs or those with no invul save, especially if he gets the "Precognition" psychic power. This power can turn Eldrad into one of the finest candidates available for sitting in front of a vulnerable unit and taking the brunt of the enemy attack with his rerollable 3+ invul. If he goes to ground behind the Aegis Lines, of course, he becomes nigh-invulnerable.

Generally like it, just a few thoughts.

-Dark Lances on warrior squads are a bad idea. They're overpriced to begin with, and using them means the rest of your squad is sitting idle and wasting Sliscus' 3+ poison. Splinter Cannons would be much cheaper and much better suited to purpose for the squad. The points saved here and a few other places could buy you a Ravager or some Blaster Trueborne.

-Basically same point about the Void Ravens. Every turn you use the missiles you're not firing the Void Lances at something meaningful. I think you've already got fairly solid anti-infantry with all your splinter weaponry, but if you want missiles a Razorwing comes with them included in the cost plus it can take disintegrators which are a lot better complement to the anti-infantry missiles. Otherwise if you take a Void Raven I'd forgo any missiles and just keep it aiming at other flyers or heavy armor. Dropping the missiles from both plus the Dark Lances from the Warriors gets you a Ravager.

-Scourges aren't bad, but don't overestimate them. On average you'll do 2.2 glancing/penetrating hits--from a fragile 260pt unit. They used to be a really nice suppression unit in 5th, and while the chance to actually kill vehicles is nice now, if they don't they're liable to suffer return fire and take a lot of damage. You might consider splitting them in to two squads of 5 so they're less of a target, and they can work independently to pick off weakened enemy armor.

-You mentioned using Fortune and Divination powers at the same time, can't do that. You can take take powers from multiple different disciplines, but you can't mix discipline powers and book powers.

Double post
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; 02-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Librarian

I ran Splinter cannons for a while, before the Scourges. The simple reality is that even with the rerollable and numerous blasters and lance weapons elsewhere in the list the giant unit is essentially useless until something trips (or is forced) into the 24" range. 2 Dark Lances fixes the issue by forcing my opponent to walk into range, or by killing the Dreadnought in the back, or the Paladins that just DS'd on the other side of the defense line, etc.

And no, I can't do Fortune and Divination. But Divination includes the Precognition power, which allows the psyker himself (3++, Eternal Warrior Eldrad) to reroll his own save. Shove him up front, watch as numerous nasty shots just seem to disappear. Especially behind that Aegis Line.

I will test the Scourges tomorrow. I am just a tad worried that they will die too easily with only 5 man units. A 10-man squad doesn't worry nearly as much about missing with 1 model, as the 2+ Glance for each successful hit pretty much guarantees a reliable vhicle kill every turn.

Chapter-Master

Just a note mate, Eldrad is not an Eternal Warrior. Otherwise, I like the list for the most part, though I agree with Archon's suggestions mostly. Here's an army list I came up with that is quite similar to yours that I feel would work better;

Dark Eldar 1500

HQ
    Duke Slicus – 150
    Haemonculus w/ venom blade, liquifier gun - 65

Troops
    Kabalite Warriors (20) w/ two splinter cannons – 200
    Kabalite Warriors (5) w/ blaster, Venom w/ dual splinter cannons, night shields – 135
    Kabalite Warriors (5) w/ blaster, Venom w/ dual splinter cannons, night shields - 135

Heavy Support
    Ravager w/ night shields – 115
    Ravager w/ night shields – 115
    Voidraven Bomber w/ flickerfield – 155

Allies

HQ
    Eldrad Ulthran – 210

Troops
    Rangers (5) w/ pathfinders – 120

Fortification
    Aegis Defence Line w/ Quad Gun - 100
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

I run a similar list with gunboats instead of massive ground troop units. I use Sliscus with a group of Trueborn, usually 5-7 (depending on the points level of the game) all with either shardcarbines and splinter cannons. They ride around in a tricked out raider with the disintegrater cannon. This puts a lot of hurt on anything it touches.
    Its nearly as many shots at 18" with the 3+ poison/plasma combo as your big squads and more mobile.
    Takes out nearly everything it touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    Generally like it, just a few thoughts.

-Dark Lances on warrior squads are a bad idea. They're overpriced to begin with, and using them means the rest of your squad is sitting idle and wasting Sliscus' 3+ poison. Splinter Cannons would be much cheaper and much better suited to purpose for the squad. The points saved here and a few other places could buy you a Ravager or some Blaster Trueborne.

This.

Battle-Brother

I would give the Scourges haywire blasters, they have a shorter range but I find they cause damage more reliably when you need them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pater Sin View Post
    I would give the Scourges haywire blasters, they have a shorter range but I find they cause damage more reliably when you need them to.
    Do you mean Heat Lances? He has Haywire Blasters equipped already. I think it's a matter of taste really. While more damage potential is nice, I don't like Heat Lances because it basically turns you into a very expensive suicide (likely Deep Striking) that's almost guaranteed to die the turn after attacking. Unless you can pop a Landraider, which isn't necessarily a guarantee, there's a pretty good chance you won't even come close to making your points up.

Battle-Brother

Yes, I meant heat lance, I think I just had a brain freeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast