BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Daemon-Prince

If you even think about putting a GW mini in there you will be sued so fast.......
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Veteran-Sergeant

Step 1: Replicator
    Step 2: Holodeck
    Step 3: ????????
    Step 4: Profit!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    If you even think about putting a GW mini in there you will be sued so fast.......
    As long as you're not reproducing them to give or sell to others, according to US Law you can do it all you like.

How is it any different than this:
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

Im confused as to what Defenestratus is doing, a RTV silicon mold of what?

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

They look like ruin bases to me

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    As long as you're not reproducing them to give or sell to others, according to US Law you can do it all you like.

How is it any different than this:
    It's not. That's copyright violation too, at least in the US, assuming the items you're copying are copyrightable - which they certainly seem to be to me. [EDIT: Eh, "certainly" is too strong. But if they're copyrightable, you're committing copyright violation by copying them without permission.] You can't copy somebody else's copyrighted work solely on the grounds that you're not going to profit from it.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 03-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

I'm siding with Nabterayl. You could argue that by not having had to spend money buying X amount of a copyrightable product for personal use because you copied it you are in fact financially better off and have profited at their expense.

Occuli Imperator

In England & Wales casting is also not covered by "fair use", I thought it was until a little while ago when I researched it a bit more and discovered that I was mistaken.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Along the lines of "why would we ever need a 3D printer", any one seen the company producing gun part 3D blueprints for these printers? They also posted a video of an AR-15 being fired with these parts incorporated. Although I'm not too sure of the ethics in this case you can see the huge potential for rapid distribution of a product with real world use. Imagine being able to order car/bike parts, or furnature and have them in your hand in a few minutes from a company the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blusox69 View Post
    I'm siding with Nabterayl. You could argue that by not having had to spend money buying X amount of a copyrightable product for personal use because you copied it you are in fact financially better off and have profited at their expense.
    That is precisely the argument. At least in the United States (if I can strip out some legalese to make the point), copyright exists so that people who want a thing have to buy it from the person who created it, and if they want more than one of the thing, they have to buy them all from the person who created it. The whole point is that the person who creates a desirable thing be able to turn people's desire for it into money.

The cases in which copying is non-punishable have to do with incentivizing activity that society has judged to be useful even at the expense of taking money out of the pockets of creators of desirable things.* Copying something because you want a copy is, perhaps obviously, not one of those situations. As the legal adage goes, fair use != personal use.

* For instance, you aren't allowed to copy your favorite portion of your favorite book just because. If you are posting in an online discussion forum disputing the meaning of that favorite passage, you are [generally] allowed to copy it. This is not because you aren't profiting from it, but because society has judged that people discussing the meaning of particular passages of books is so valuable - and that it would be so hard to do so if one were never allowed to quote the passages under discussion - that it is worth letting people trample on creators' copyrights to incentivize.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast