BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Guns are an important (and often vital) part of country life,
    Why ?

Vermin. Rabbits, foxes etc. need to be killed to stop them killing livestock or destroying crops. Often you also need to be able to quickly put down an injured animal so it doesn't suffer. Shooting can also be an important source of food for rural families.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

Vermin. Rabbits, foxes etc. need to be killed to stop them killing livestock or destroying crops. Often you also need to be able to quickly put down an injured animal so it doesn't suffer. Shooting can also be an important source of food for rural families.
    **** me, Rabbits are killing cows and sheep now ? Monty pythons The holy grail was right.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Rabbits destroy crops, foxes kill livestock.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Vermin on an agricultural scale needs to be dealt with by something other than people with guns.
    I can't imagine what "livestock" can be eaten by a fox, certainly not sheep, cows or goats maybe a chicken but industrial size chicken sheds are fox proof?

There are other, more humane, cheaper and more efficient ways to put down livestock.

Pretty sure all farmers go to the shop for food, every one I know does.
    Last edited by Magpie; 04-08-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Foxes kill chickens and young animals. We've lost sheep to them. Rabbits can be trapped and rabbit proof fences erected but often you still need to shoot them. It's not just foxes, feral dogs are a problem too.

There are not other, more humane and more efficient ways to put down livestock, actually. A bullet through the heart or head is faster than poison or cutting their throat and the cost of a bullet is negligible.

Everyone I know shoots.

Foxes kill chickens and young animals. We've lost sheep to them. Rabbits can be trapped and rabbit proof fences erected but often you still need to shoot them. It's not just foxes, feral dogs are a problem too.
    There are far more efficient methods of feral animal controls than guns. National Parks use trapping and baiting to far greater effect.

There are not other, more humane and more efficient ways to put down livestock, actually. A bullet through the heart or head is faster than poison or cutting their throat and the cost of a bullet is negligible.
    So why aren't guns used by Vets ?

Everyone I know shoots.
    Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it is necessary.

Daemon-Prince

Guns are fine but when each person has 5 or 6......for no damn reason then you have to worry or they think there goverment needs over throwing so they follow a crazy bible flick star....
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

There are far more efficient methods of feral animal controls than guns. National Parks use trapping and baiting to far greater effect.
    National Parks aren't farms.

So why aren't guns used by Vets ?
    Because they are in a completely different circumstance? Also remember that concept we mentione earlier 'cheaper'? Last time we had to have a horse put down it cost over one hundred pounds. We did that because it was a valued member of the household. Farmers aren't going to do that every time they need to have a cow put down.

Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it is necessary.
    Right, why sustainably collect meat from the natural environment when you can buy it from extremely intensive and unhealthy industrial agriculture.

Veteran-Sergeant

If I didn't use my guns for pest control and to put a bit of food on the table what would be the alternative? Poisen or traps both of which do not target a specific problem animal and can kill none pest species, I would also be intrested to know how without guns you would control the deer population in this country since they have no natural predators and if left without culling would desimate the country side. Some of the posts here really highlight the fact that some people have no idea.
    Last edited by imperialpower; 04-08-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast