BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imperialpower View Post
    Some of the posts here really highlight the fact that some people have no idea.
    You sure got that right.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    You sure got that right.
    Glad you agree.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by imperialpower View Post
    I would also be intrested to know how without guns you would control the deer population in this country since they have no natural predators and if left without culling would desimate the country side.
    Wolves. Sea Eagles. We used to have plenty of those for controlling the herbivore species and they did a bang up job. Don't see many of them around these days, can't for the life of me imagine why.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

There are actually plans to reintroduce wolves into Britain. Unfortunately they kill livestock too, not just pests.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Ooh, yes, brilliant idea. Let's reintroduce lions and bears too. The country was a much safer place with them around.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Wolves. Sea Eagles. We used to have plenty of those for controlling the herbivore species and they did a bang up job. Don't see many of them around these days, can't for the life of me imagine why.
    Yes we did and most of predatory species were gone before the gun was even around and yes they were killed to protect the food Humans need which was very short sighted and wrong but that wasn't my point, my point was that guns are a usefulland tool and are needed in our current enviroment but I suppose since I am a gun owner every day I just walk out of the house and blast everything that moves just like a sterotype gun knut.

Chapter-Master

Sigh. My point was people killed off the predators to protect livestock and now there are no natural controls on 'pests' so now we are 'culling' them to protect livestock. I'm just wondering at what stage people are going to realise that decimating the ecosystem has serious consequences for the environment and that perhaps there are better ways of doing it. I couldn't give a toss if you shoot, poison, starve or strangle the native fauna with your bare hands, my issue is with the idea that 'protection of livestock' gives humanity the right to go around obliterating entire species at will. Oh and imperial power, wolves weren't wiped out until the mid 17th century, there were plenty of guns around by then.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

It's very easy to look back and say we shouldn't have exterminated the wolves but that was pre-industrial farming, wolves killing off your cattle could literally be the death of you and your family.

Wolves spread back accross Europe during and after WWII because of the vast amount of fences destroyed and probably the fact people were otherwise occupied and it did a lot of good for the ecosystem. I think re-introducing them here would be a good idea. Some people want to re-introduce bears as well. Wolves were very rare here as early as the 16th century, we did have firearms then but they weren't exactly precise.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Seems like if we think about it for a minute or two we actaully can find alternatives to guns, maybe they're not that vital after all

Daemon-Prince

Hmmm i love the fact i somehow got all the Brits arguing now o.O
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast