Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

Where am I inconsistent? If the cover breaks horizontally, this is 25%:

[IMG][/IMG]

If the cover breaks vertically, this is 25%:

[IMG][/IMG]

If the cover breaks both horizontally and vertically, this is 25%:

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

As opposed to looking at the target and trying to agree on exactly 25% by mass - ie 25% of some grid:

[IMG][/IMG]

Which I challenge anyone to say is easier to agree on than the examples I post above....
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmaitreya View Post
    So, sometimes you're a height guy, and sometimes you're a mass guy. Best make sure which guy you are before playing with an opponent! Consistency is probably better than flexibility, IMO.
    I think this is the actual answer to the OP. The question was not what the rules are, but whether there is widespread consensus. The answer to that question, clearly, is no.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I'm with the OP and Orksx3 here (seeing as i was at said comp)

Heres a perespective picture, with a revenant tian pic i stole off google. The red box represents "cover".

As several people have said the cover is 25% of the models height, but no where near its mass/area.

Are you suggestingt hat this model would get a cover save from the red box ruin in this situation?

Maybe a little late to join the thread, but there are comments in examples throughout the rulebook that suggest that cover saves are a generic term applied to 'stuff that can happen to give a save beyond a normal armour save'. Also, examples of when you've got two units in the same cover shooting at each other (e.g. a wood), and the rulebook saying to think of it like they are leaning around the trees snapping off shots at each other then ducking back into cover, which are suggesting to think dynamically.

Dynamically, it's already been suggested that just because there's a big static standing model with only it's leg covered, doesn't mean that it wouldn't kneel down behind the building to get better cover. If 25% of it's height CAN be covered by the building, that would suggest that there is plenty of cover for it to crouch behind.

Also, if its legs are going to be protected by a building, then would be attackers will be having to aim upwards at the torso they can see. Shooting upwards at an angle like that may slightly reduce the energy that ballistics would have, or having to look upwards into the sky they may be dazzled by sunshine affecting their shot, or a bird may poop into their eyes...

*yayImadeapopularthreadgome*

I think another part of the problem is that if the model is occupying the cover or if it's behind it. As I said the main problem I have is that since superheavies are so big it seems silly to hide a portion of them and claim cover but yet they can see fire to hit you and even if they can't their weapons ignore cover. D weapons should ignore the cover that the target is in (representing their destructive potential) but possibly not intervening cover.

--
    Last edited by Magpie; 04-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123