BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Explain it? The SW and the BA and the DA all follow the Codex astartes, they all keep only around 1000 marines, I think a little bit more for the space wolves and follow it's tactical advice, IE they have scout companies, devastators etc.

Black Templars openly ignore the codex astartes, no scout companies, no devastators and no unit leaders. The veterans are all in veteran unit and that's that. They don't fight like a codex chapter at all. To put them in Codex space marines would be lazy and a slap in the fact to any Templar player, because then there was no point in us collecting our army.

By the way, what you think is their divergence from the Codex, for the BA, SW and DA, are very small differences. All Codex DA allows you to do is field the first company on it's own. Something Codex Space marines doesn't and yet the chapters can all do it, sometimes terminator assault is what's necessary if you look into the extended background of the game.

The only reason BT don't look so unique at the moment is because they took the Unique toys given to BT and gave them to all the other guys. Wouldn't exactly be hard to give BT some unique units. After all, we don't have a whole lot of Feudal knight stuff yet in 40k, at least not outside the BT.
    Its like you've never even looked at the Space wolves, all thier units are unique except the vehicles. The BA have unique special rules and units to represent how they diverge, and its quite a bit, they're barely contained space vampires, always one step away from transforming into frothing, blood drinking loonies or going totally mad and thinking they're the Primarch and the battlefield is horus battle barge, so it has units and rules to represent tht fluff, and those armies are popular enough to warrant their own codex.

Yours isn't.

The Templars have one unique unit and some HQs, if you want to have a BT army, don't take Devs or scouts, swap your Sergeants CCW for a Bolter and there you go, mission accomplished.

The fact of the matter is, as of speaking, the UK site has BT units as a section of the Space Marine army, where all of those other chapters have thier own section.

You're not looking at this objectivly, you're passionate about your army and thats great, but its blinding you to the facts, the other armies you mentioned, although they follow the Codex Astartes (except SW, they're like the original non-codex chapter!), all differ in following it and have rules to represent that uniqueness, you obviously haven't looked into the other armies and are making snap judgements.
    No one is saying they will scrap models, I don't doubt they will always be available, but given that they're in the Codex Space Marine section now, I'm sure we'll see them rolled into the new Codex Space Marines, I think we'll be seeing something very different and cool from the new C:SM when it shows up

Chapter-Master

What are these 'unique toys' that I keep hearing the BT have had taken away?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

And let's remember folks.....Black Templars going into the overall Marine codex is just a rumour, and let's face it, rumours have not been exactly reliable of recent days.

So relax!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I think he's referring to the Land Raider Crusader. Maybe the idea of champions?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Explain it? The SW and the BA and the DA all follow the Codex astartes...
    I know the topic of the thread has wandered back and forth since this post, and people do need to chill about this BT thing as it's just a rumour...

But again, man, the Space Wolves have -never- agreed to follow the Codex Astartes, and they never have. And their chapter has well over 1000 marines.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    No, they won't, because there's no IP in their models for GW to protect. None. Zilch. Nada.
    I don't know why you think that has anything to do with whether or not they'll get a codex.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    What are these 'unique toys' that I keep hearing the BT have had taken away?
    The Land Raider Crusader primarily. Also, they were unusual in being able to swap out bolters for bolt pistol and chainsword for their Tactical Squads. Instead of Scouts, they had "neophytes" which essentially were scouts mixed in to the Tactical Squads allowing you to have fairly large (up to 15) bolt pistol and chainsword armed figures that made a pretty good close combat blob. Finally, there is a mandatory company champion HQ choice which does not count against your HQ FOC (this seems to have been incorporated into the other codexes as part of the company command squad). The rest of the differences can be handled simply by choosing not to take units like Devastators or Scout Bikes. Of course, they did have some interesting wargear like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (it was called something different).

Having more than one SM codex just never made a lot of sense to me. I guess I just like to see things conform to recognizable patterns, but you just have a random smattering of chapters get their own codex for no apparent reason, and there's really no rationale to it other than "someone felt like writing a dark angels codex" or something.

Its just repackaging the same toys with, quite literally, a different paint job. Its so obviously lazy that it kind of pisses me off. Instead of developing new and unique model lines its just the skittles marine brigade.

That being said if you're going to try and sell the same model 15 different times under different auspices you should at least be thorough about it. That's the thing that really irks me. Like ok, you're trying to artificially elongate the shelf life of your product by creating new rules over and over again, why not take it to the hilt?

There should be an individual codex for ALL first founding chapters which details their successor chapters and any minor divergences between the original chapter and their successor. Every major craftworld eldar, eldar corsairs AND exodites should have their own codex. All the major ork clans should have codexes, all the major chaos marine legions from the heresy should have their own dex, hell different tau septs should probably get in on the action.

But instead of taking this thing to any logical conclusion they just decide to give everyone one codex, except for space marines who will receive between 3 and 6 each edition dependent on how many models are sold.

And don't even get me started on guard legions... you'd probably have to stop at one dex for each archetypical method of warfare.

Just such ridiculous over-representation for armies that are supposedly scarce and elite. Apparently the space wolves chapter has at most like 1500 dudes in it, I'm sure if you went to a tourney during their recent heyday you'd see at least twice that number represented in models. There's no real variety in this game and instead of coming up with new ideas they just repackage the same old stuff. Worrying about ANOTHER random space marine chapters is asinine.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 04-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

@ Power Klawz- Space marines are popular and make GW a lot of money that is why we have multipul codecies for them, if Eldar made them as much money instead we would have different craftworld codecies as a business they are just cashing in on what sells.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by imperialpower View Post
    @ Power Klawz- Space marines are popular and make GW a lot of money that is why we have multipul codecies for them, if Eldar made them as much money instead we would have different craftworld codecies as a business they are just cashing in on what sells.
    That doesn't make it a smart idea for the game in a long run. "Makes money right now" and "sets you up to make more money in the long run" are very different things.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast