BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Aegis Defense Line and Enemy Cover Saves

Question is: Suppose I have a unit behind an ADL, and I shoot out at an enemy unit. Do they get a cover save from the ADL I am occupying?

My argument for "no they don't get a cover save": pg 104, Barracades and Walls; "If a model is in cover behind [emphasis added] a barracade or wall, it has a 4+ cover save."

Agree / Disagree?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Are ADL's labeled "this side towards enemy"?

But seriously, from the eyes of your model, the ADL isn't obstructing LOS to the enemy, so no cover save for them. Now, if you're a ways back from the wall and it does obstruct LOS, then yes, they get a cover save. But when you're close to it, you can shoot over it just like you can any other barricade or wall without granting cover.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Question is: Suppose I have a unit behind an ADL, and I shoot out at an enemy unit. Do they get a cover save from the ADL I am occupying?

My argument for "no they don't get a cover save": pg 104, Barracades and Walls; "If a model is in cover behind [emphasis added] a barracade or wall, it has a 4+ cover save."

Agree / Disagree?
    its a bit of a line of sight issue (from the eyes of the firer), usually if the firer is right against the line in B2B with it so to speak, then no cover save is given as it is reasonable to assume you are shooting over the lip of the barricade, however if you are an inch or two back (ie two or three models deep) then it would be fair to give your opponent a cover save as the line then starts obscuring the target.

edit: Ninja'd
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

It is one of those things Games Workshop needs to address in the Faq. It should be stated thus,

1. Models within a fully enclused Aegis perimeter gain the cover save regardless of their distance to the walls.

2. Models in base to base contact with the walls gain the cover save from attacks originating from the other side of the wall.

3. Models in base to base contact with a model in base to base contact with the wall gaint he cover save from attacks originating from the other side of the wall.

What this would do is eliminate cheese-monkeys from trying to claim a save from your Aegis unless they are right up against it, i.e. assaulting it and able to logically claime it. These rules would encourage a contained Aeigs on occassion while at the same time giving strict rules for those trying to claim a save being way far back.

I don't see that as working very well. If my Dreadknight is close to a closed AGL but not in B2B, no way are the guys in the "compound" are going to get a cover save if it can see them clearly.

It goes off the 25% rule like any other cover I'd reckon.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    It is one of those things Games Workshop needs to address in the Faq. It should be stated thus,

1. Models within a fully enclused Aegis perimeter gain the cover save regardless of their distance to the walls.

2. Models in base to base contact with the walls gain the cover save from attacks originating from the other side of the wall.

3. Models in base to base contact with a model in base to base contact with the wall gaint he cover save from attacks originating from the other side of the wall.
    I don't see that there is a need, or a logical argument, for such a restrictive FAQ.

Why should figures within a fully enclosed ADL automatically gain a Cover Save? If a model isn't physically obscured by the ADL (or any other piece of terrain), it doesn't get a save. Simple.

My gaming group assume there is no Cover Save granted to a target when the firer is in base contact with the ADL (or any other linear terrain), and is worked out as per True Line Of Sight from any other firing position behind the ADL.