BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dire Avengers thing is odd, but not unprecdented. Orcs in Fantasy had their box sized halved....

But the rest of it, especially those whining about rules you have not actually read please...please for the love of whichever deity you do or don't believe in....shush. At least for now. Just wait until you've got the new codex in your sweaty, clammy hands. And have had a chance to read it. And ideally, actually get a few games under your belt. After that, you'll have what we in the grown up world like to call an 'informed opinion'. Once you've got that, if needs be whine away to your heart's content.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 05-21-2013 at 04:06 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

My biggest thing about the release is the lack of multi part plastics. I have my original eldar from 2nd edition because all we have gotten since then is just slightly different mono pose metals/finecast while just about all other army, save sisters, have ended up with tons and tons of plastic kits. And i'm not talking characters and special units, i'm talking infantry boxes.

Overall this release is meh to me. I'm hoping the rules work well and it makes eldar a really interesting army in 6th edition, but until the model range is actually updated i'll be stuck making slow progression turning dire avengers into all of the other aspects with more conversion work than should be necessary with the amount of plastic kits ALL other armies have (again with the exception of sisters)

While i will be buying a plastic farseer or two because its a nice model and i like having the whole range of farseers (even scared rabbit), i don't think it will be worth it to change anything else for me. I would need 60 of the new wraith guard and that's a daunting concept, even if i just had 30 shooting and 30 combat wraithguard that still a chunk of money (though if the models are nice i might do it anyways just to have more than 3 poses of wraith guard)

I might eventually get a Fire Gale or 4 though it would go well in my titan legion. 1 Phantom, 2 revenants and then 4 Fire Gales (plus then i can sell old football head the towering destroyer) and while this is nice, it would have been better served IMO by giving us plastic hawks/spiders/scorpions/banshees/dragons/reapers. Multi part plastic kits are sheer joys to use compared to the mono pose solid models we have now.

So yeah i am excited for this release, but i'm disappointed because we are one of the few army left with the vast majority of our units still only available in mono pose metal/finecast

Just to offer some more perspective, DreamForge Game's Leviathan Crusader is 8.5" and $120. The Stormwall Collossal from Warmachine is only 5.5" tall, and costs $135.

So, I can live with the €90 price tag.

But yes, I do agree that the Dire Avenger change is rather rediculous, though not unprecendented, as has been said. Considering that the Tau Pathfinder box comes with 10 men and some very nice drones, for the same price.

On the plus side, however, those Eldar players who already have the very decent quality Avenger plastics from about 2007, do not have to worry.

Brother-Sergeant

I think it's right to put it in perspective, its some good releases (as long as the Iyanden supplement is codex-size); I'm looking forward to all of it, though I'll be careful what I buy at launch or I won't be able to afford to eat through June.

I think a lot of people had built up ideas of a full range re-release, similar to what the DE got. It was always going to be very unlikely that we got multi part plastics for ALL the Aspects. I personally would really have liked a little loving update to some of the games oldest models - like the bike and Spiders etc but oh well. Plastic Wraithgaurd have me happy enough to be honest - models I've been putting off buying for a decade or so will finally be mine!

Roll on midnight Friday, I'm off to buy some 'half price' Dire Avengers.
    www.rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com - Go visit, you know you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamin_Majere View Post
    My biggest thing about the release is the lack of multi part plastics. I have my original eldar from 2nd edition because all we have gotten since then is just slightly different mono pose metals/finecast while just about all other army, save sisters, have ended up with tons and tons of plastic kits. And i'm not talking characters and special units, i'm talking infantry boxes.

Overall this release is meh to me. I'm hoping the rules work well and it makes eldar a really interesting army in 6th edition, but until the model range is actually updated i'll be stuck making slow progression turning dire avengers into all of the other aspects with more conversion work than should be necessary with the amount of plastic kits ALL other armies have (again with the exception of sisters)

While i will be buying a plastic farseer or two because its a nice model and i like having the whole range of farseers (even scared rabbit), i don't think it will be worth it to change anything else for me. I would need 60 of the new wraith guard and that's a daunting concept, even if i just had 30 shooting and 30 combat wraithguard that still a chunk of money (though if the models are nice i might do it anyways just to have more than 3 poses of wraith guard)

I might eventually get a Fire Gale or 4 though it would go well in my titan legion. 1 Phantom, 2 revenants and then 4 Fire Gales (plus then i can sell old football head the towering destroyer) and while this is nice, it would have been better served IMO by giving us plastic hawks/spiders/scorpions/banshees/dragons/reapers. Multi part plastic kits are sheer joys to use compared to the mono pose solid models we have now.

So yeah i am excited for this release, but i'm disappointed because we are one of the few army left with the vast majority of our units still only available in mono pose metal/finecast
    But think to the future skip.....

Eldar are getting the average number of releases for a Codex release. This includes the essential flier and bigshinytoy, and an existing unit, previously prohibitively expensive plastificated.

But we also see the new...the Appendex (look that's what I'm calling them and it bloody well will catch on OK?). You want plastic Aspect Warriors? I suspect that might be held back for say...the Biel Tan Appendex, as a secondary wave at some unknown point in the future (please note this is speculation and not rumour!). Quite possibly once the other books are out.

Though to give credit to Eldar players, I think the DE, GK and Necron releases did skew kit number expectations. It's easy to forget all three of those were essentially 'ground up' redos of the armies in question.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

It's still ridiculous that they didn't carry out the relatively minor task of making new Jetbike models no matter which way you look at it. Dark Eldar got them, they made a mock-up of one years ago that everyone loved, and yet for some reason didn't make it. Bizarre.

Still, as long as the rules for the already existing infantry are good, I don't mind too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    It's still ridiculous that they didn't carry out the relatively minor task of making new Jetbike models no matter which way you look at it. Dark Eldar got them, they made a mock-up of one years ago that everyone loved, and yet for some reason didn't make it. Bizarre.

Still, as long as the rules for the already existing infantry are good, I don't mind too much.
    There is this coming: Windrider Jetbike Squad (3)

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
    There is this coming: Windrider Jetbike Squad (3)
    Apparently just a rebox though. Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are getting the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Apparently just a rebox though. Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are getting the same.
    Derp! Yeah, my bad. I re-checked the order form I got from the GW rep, and it is indeed just a repackage.
    I also threw in the, 'so basically the Dire Avengers have been repackaged and are now double the cost?' question, and the rep went straight into, 'yeah, but! Yeah but!' mode.

EldarGal,
    It may not be new to us, but dont forget another boon will be the inclusion, finally, of the nightspinner in the codex. A model for which rules have been virtually unavailable for for a few years. So it can be argued to be a new unit for many.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast