BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 35 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    Thing is Seer Council are not cheap take a Council of six.

Farseer - 100 points with no upgrades
    Warlock - 35 points x 5 is 175 points

So 275 points without any upgrades.

Add in upgrades I.E. bikes and other stuff and yes this unit is going to be over 400 points or 22-24% of a 1850 army.

For most Eldar players that will be far to many points in a unit that can be killed in a variety of ways.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Every unit can be killed in a variety of ways. Part of the point of the Seer Council is that they can be killed in fewer ways than the vast majority of other units. 3+/4++ or 2+/4++ rerollable with the speed to get away from the things that really can threaten them makes them extremely bad targets. If my opponents are shooting at my seer council and killing few or none of them, I'm winning.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by cebalrai View Post
    This doesn't make any sense to me. Every unit can be killed in a variety of ways. Part of the point of the Seer Council is that they can be killed in fewer ways than the vast majority of other units. 3+/4++ or 2+/4++ rerollable with the speed to get away from the things that really can threaten them makes them extremely bad targets. If my opponents are shooting at my seer council and killing few or none of them, I'm winning.
    This is what non eldar players will never understand. And I'm okay with that, frankly.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    This is what non eldar players will never understand. And I'm okay with that, frankly.
    I second that. Let them be the ignorant.

Chapter-Master

That's why I'm not really scared of the Seer council, and never have been. They're tough to kill, but other than tying up a unit and maybe casting a malediction or two (but I play Grey Knights, so good luck with the negative penalties to your leadership and my boosted DtW) and some blessings, what are they really going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I can just imagine a farseer in flowing robes throwing open a door to a building, running a few yards outside, putting his fingers to his temples ... some lightning popping out of his eyes... then running back inside and slamming the door shut real quick.

Repeated over and over again :P
    Just remember that Blessings and Maledictions are cast at the beginning of movement, and require LOS, so you can't cast them after moving into LOS.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 06-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    That's why I'm not really scared of the Seer council, and never have been. They're tough to kill, but other than tying up a unit and maybe casting a malediction or two (but I play Grey Knights, so good luck with the negative penalties to your leadership and my boosted DtW) and some blessings, what are they really going to do?

Just remember that Blessings and Maledictions are cast at the beginning of movement, and require LOS, so you can't cast them after moving into LOS.
    They are mostly just a fire magnet and a glorified tarpit now. In the previous codex, having guaranteed Destructor meant the unit could put out some serious hurt to most units.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yup. Frustrating when you get slaanech for daemon power 1-2. You have to be 18" away before you move. 18" in the beginning of the movement phase is a pain. Although 24" seem easy to pull off. The problem with 18" usually means at time you could had been assaulted your self.

With eldar the 2d6 assault move would be helpful in pulling that off.

Blessing isn't too hard to pull off though. Too bad the default warlock power doesn't stack and the stackable ones would be random rolls.

Thinking about it Daemons have more psychics, reliable than Eldar. I can field 8 psychics to 12 vs eldar, but I can lay down 25 powers compared to 17 powers and all mine is at leadership 10 and I have acess to 5 differant power trees if I go all tzentch I can say 7 if I go nurgle and slaanech, problem with that my leadership drops and less powers. Grey Knights can drop a ton of psykers, but they are pretty limited. Oh I forgot pink horrors are psykers too. That would be 14 vs 12 with 6 more castable powers for almost 30 psychic powers a turn. I guess nids is the second most with 17 psykers with 18 castable powers but they can have like almost 30 powers they can use.

Thinking about it eldar seems like the 4th potent psychic army. Daemons 1st, tyranids 2nd, grey knights 3rd, eldar 4th

I was gonna list Grey Knights 4th. I gave them 3rd due to even their vehicles are psychic. Only army where everyone is psychic, besides a tzeentch build list. Anyway they are the most limited due to everyone having either hammerhand, or insert squad power. The hq units is where the psykers with actual choice come in, but you are limited to 2. While daemons have 8, nids a lot, eldar 12 that can have differant powers to meat or deal with differant situations.

The seer council is throwing strength 9 shots though. I wouldn't over look that.

Chapter-Master

Eldar can take 36 psykers for 44 powers total in a double FOC. Two 10-man warlocks, one per primary detachment, four Farseers, 6 Harlequin squads with Veil of Tears, and six Hemlock flyers. A minimum of 2930pts, I think.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

I was counting only one detachment adding another just helps the daemons more as well as tyranids

Good call on the Harlequins and fighters

For one detachment Eldar have:
    Eldrad
    Farseer
    10 warlocks
    3 Harlequins
    3 planes
    That gives you 18 psykrs and 23 powers with 4 differant power pools and 23 powers you can cast at one time.

Daemons Mono Tzeentch
    Fateweaver
    4 Master 3 Heralds
    6 pink horror
    3 Master 3 Prince

14 psykers with 31 powers which can cast 31 powers at one time with 5 differant power tree (33 differant powers)

Tyranids
    Swamlord
    Hive tyrant
    9 zonathorpes
    6 broodlords

17 psykers with 27 differant powers and 19 powers they can cast at one time and have acess to I think 3 trees maybe 4

GreyKnights

Libby
    Cortex
    Purifiers/ rhino
    Purifiers/ rhino
    Purifiers/ rhino
    Strike/ rhino
    Strike/ rhino
    4x strike/ rhino
    3 x jet pack greyknights
    3x dreadnoughts

29 psykers 47 differant powers, can use 31 powers, have acess to 3 differant trees

Daemons may have the less amount, but have acess to the second most powers and can cast the second most powers at one time. What makes them first they have a greater pool of powers to choose from. At most they can choose through 7 differant power pools with droping 2 powers and 2 max casting powers. They are first due to iron arm, endurance, prescience, flame shiled,-5 I with no overwatch, etc. They can have more than 40 differant powers they can select and random roll from.

Greyknights are last due to utility. they have the most and can cast the most, but you will see hammerhand or the vehicle spell cast over and over. No variety in power selection. Which is why 4th.

Thanks to link I will bump Eldar to second and tyranids to 3rd. Even so tyranids and daemons are mostly casting at leadership 10 and with tyranids you can actually randomly roll with all your units.

I put Eldar second due to variety of powers over the nids.

Quote Originally Posted by cebalrai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    I have been playing Eldar from when they came out in WD 127.

My point is if you are putting 400 or more points into just six figures you are not going to have much else on the table.

This Codex increased the price of most Eldar units so that means we are putting less things on the table rather than more.

As Darklink has stated I also would not be afraid of my opponent running with a Seer Council because that would mean that I have less things to target.

Plus if you are running a Seer Council you are expecting that unit to win you the battle. But what happens when they don't do what you want?

All I am saying is that you are better off if more units than to count on one small Deathstar unit.

I'm giving this book a 3.5/5.

There's just too many design inconsistency and missed opportunity. Plus, their elite army status just doesn't play well in this edition.
    [url]http://lkhero.blogspot.com/2013/06/gds-eldar-review.html[/url]
    HERO's Gaming Blog

Page 35 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast