BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using smaller rhinos.

What issues have any of you run into with people using the old small rhinos in games either friendly or in tournaments. I have several and wanted to see what problems others have had if any.
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

Librarian

id have no problems, its not like 10 marines can fit in a modern rhino, so the slightly smaller frame of the older ones is fine....

they both have two bolters on the roof side and rear doors, roof hatches so they are both WYSIWYG

Occuli Imperator

I've had people claim that I am using old rhino chasis (on some preds) for my advantage but never in real life. Similiarly, some of my terminators are the old smaller ones.
    They are official GW and wysiwyg so they don't have a leg to stand on really.
    Plus the retro look is back in, look at the fw reproductions
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

id have no problems, its not like 10 marines can fit in a modern rhino, so the slightly smaller frame of the older ones is fine....
    they both have two bolters on the roof side and rear doors, roof hatches so they are both WYSIWYG
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I've had people claim that I am using old rhino chasis (on some preds) for my advantage but never in real life. Similiarly, some of my terminators are the old smaller ones.
    They are official GW and wysiwyg so they don't have a leg to stand on really.
    Plus the retro look is back in, look at the fw reproductions
    Thanks and thanks!
    "I play Eldar, why? Does GW make any other good armies?"

I have 3, and they are old, bought originally when they were the standard. My friends have no problem with me using them and I've attended a tournament with them to no issue. I also have 3 of the "newer" rhinos, but my old ones are for my plague marines (which will always be 7 man or less) and the current ones are for my iron warriors.

The fact that 7 marines probably couldn't fit into a small rhino isn't an issue

Battle-Brother

The only time I've ever run into an issue with the smaller rhinos was in the height of 5th when GK were king. One guy at our local tournament used older rhinos because his psy-rifle dreads could stand perfectly behind them getting cover but not granting the same. If you try this with a newer rhino part of the lower barrels will be behind the tank and thus grant cover to those you shoot at.

As you can imagine I was not very pleased with this player. Was it legal? Sure. It is an official model. I have enough older models lying around that I'll never say you can't use them. But in this case it was clearly modeling for an advantage and very unsportsmanlike conduct.

Wait, where the gun is modelled made things get cover from things? That's silly. That isn't the case in 6th, right?

(I skipped from 2nd to 6th.)

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    Wait, where the gun is modelled made things get cover from things? That's silly. That isn't the case in 6th, right?

(I skipped from 2nd to 6th.)
    Everything is True Line of Sight now. So if the LOS of the weapon takes it through something that grants cover the model being shot at get's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Vallen View Post
    Everything is True Line of Sight now. So if the LOS of the weapon takes it through something that grants cover the model being shot at get's cover.
    Are we talking about a vehicle, or a monstrous creature? Vehicles do line of sight from each weapon from the gun mount, but infantry (and monstrous creatures) draw line of sight from the eyes of the model.

Admittedly, I've never looked at the Grey Knights codex, so I'm just guessing that a "Dread" (Dreadknight? Dreadnought?) is a monstrous creature, and doesn't care where the weapon is held.

I have a problem with you using larger Rhinos, just to get more cover behind them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast