BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Iron Father

Bread is a killer no doubt. I don't touch it generally. Rice rarely and pasta even less so. I did a ketosis diet about 5 years ago whilst trying to get my weight down. Basically very similar to Atkins and little to no processed food at all. I lost about 45 pounds I think and I was absolutely at my strongest then.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 06-10-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Occuli Imperator

The big thing is if you can incorporate it into your everyday activities. I cycle to/from work each day, most directly it is just 6 miles each way so it's just under 20 minutes, but in nice weather I can put a nice loop or two into it pushing it up to 10/12 miles.
    Nice and simple and part of my day
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Veteran-Sergeant

If you want something easy to start with walking is a good thing to do. Walking on uneven ground is very good for you as it uses a lot more muscles. It might not be practical for work but you could walk to work in trainers and change your shoes at work.

There are a lot of different things that you can do but as you said Mystery the hardest thing to do is to get into a routine. There are a range of different things you can do. Keep a training diary of basic exercises to see how you are doing. Make a "vision board" with the exercises up there find a training buddy as it's easier to say I won't bother doing X if you don't have someone waiting for you.

Happy to put something together for you if you want Mystery. Use to be a coach in a previous life
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

Occuli Imperator

I have the solution:

[url]https://www.zombiesrungame.com/[/url]

Fitness App + Zombie game
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

And having failed spectacularly to get going this month, I'm determined to make a start 23rd July(ish), my next pay day.

So, running shoes. Any recommendations for a beginner?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

A big one for me is one hour, brisk walk first thing in the morning, after you've had a litre of water to drink and before you eat anything, very good at burning fat without burning stored energy or muscles tissue. Having plenty of water between meals is a hugh one too.

- Remember: A happy mountaineer always pees clear.

Assuming you're feeling brave you could always give HIIT (High intensity interval training) a go a couple of times a week. I do rowing for that (although I do HIIT at the end of a cutting cycle for a couple of months) knackers you out quick and steam rollers through body fat. I will happily give you a break down of how to do it if you would like.

Weights though are my bread and butter (excuse the pun) for training and keeping a nice shape. Compound movements are the dog's danglys too, especially your squats, deadlifts and presses.

Your diet is the other big one, I'm an endomorph so struggle to stay lean, but typically the only large carbs sources I have come from fruit and sweet potatoes. I eat more fats with high protein to compensate and I'm a huge advocate of coconut milk as it's brilliant for assisting in fat loss, it's also great if you have crappy skin too.

I have a mate who helps me out with diet and training and he is an absolute monster (google Cornelius Parkin).
    Last edited by Build; 07-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    Every saint has a past, every sinner, a future.

Chapter-Master

Do cleans, snatches, and jerks as well. If you want to do functional movements, there's no better place to check out than Crossfit, even if you're not going to a gym or even planning on doing Crossfit itself.

Fruits and sweet potatoes aren't bad, they've got a low glycemic index and have glucose rather than fructose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

Minimalist shoes are awesome. I will never wear 'normal' tennis or running shoes again. There are a pretty good range of minimalist shoes out there now. I wear Merrells, and New Balance Minimus are good, as well.

They take a little getting used to, since you'll be using muscles in your feet and calves you've never used before, but once you build them up to where they're supposed to be, you'll naturally improve your running form. One of the worst things that ever happened to human beings with regards to the biomechanics of running is high-heeled shoes with thick padding.

Just keep in mind that excessive quantities of LSD (both the drug and Long, Slow Distance cardio) are actually kind of counter productive. You'll get good at jogging long distances, but excessive cardio actually actively atrophies all unnecessary muscle. Compare these two:

High intensity makes you good at both high and low intensity stuff. Low intensity training only makes you good at low intensity stuff.

Walking, hiking, and light jogging, don't really count with this regard. That's the stuff that you do to keep your body moving outside of your actual workout program. But when you go to workout, do something relatively short and intense for 80-90% of your workouts. Not counting warm-ups, streching, cool-downs, and whatever strength building weightlifting you might do, your cardio/conditioning workouts should mostly be between 10-20min max.

Once you get fit enough to easily handle low-impact high intensity workouts, then the answer is to do multiple workouts a day to get fit, not to make each individual workout longer.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And having failed spectacularly to get going this month, I'm determined to make a start 23rd July(ish), my next pay day.

New Balance I think, not stupid expensive but comfy non the less. Me I don't run really, I kind of trundle along but I swear by this brand of shoe. They also do a wide fitting which for me with hobbit feet is a must.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 07-10-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123