BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Dealing with the Farsight Bomb

...Any suggestions? It's so nasty. I'm running Chaos and trying not to rage quit against this thing. Deepstrike with no scatter, Jet pack, re-roll failed to hits, an absolutely absurd amount of plasma guns... somebody please help me with this.

Quote Originally Posted by droozy View Post
    ...Any suggestions? It's so nasty. I'm running Chaos and trying not to rage quit against this thing. Deepstrike with no scatter, Jet pack, re-roll failed to hits, an absolutely absurd amount of plasma guns... somebody please help me with this.
    I actually played chaos before taking up my old Tau army once the new rules set came out, I think you need to deal with the farsight bomb like you deal with any other death star unit, lots of bolter fire, lots of other kinds of fire, charge it with a throw away unit to absorb overwatch fire (specially nasty if they have the counter thingy that lets them overwatch on BS2) and then charge it with a heavy hitter like a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut with Axe of Murder or maybe a couple of Maulerfiends... Anyway, the best way to deal with ANY Tau unit is just to engage it in melee I think, they will fold instantly (seriously, Ive had my farsight bomb be wiped out by a squad of 6 BA assault marines)

Don't forget that Multi-tracker (the item that allows a battle suite to fire 2 weapons) only works in Shooting phase. So Crisis suits are limited to just 1 weapon per model when firing overwatch. It's not much, but still worth remembering.

BTW, could anyone please outline a typical configuration of the Farsight bomb squad?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingOne View Post
    BTW, could anyone please outline a typical configuration of the Farsight bomb squad?
    I don't know if this is typical but for 2k+ games I've put together the following:

1 Farsight
    1 Battlesuit Commander (Iridium, MSV, CnC, Puretide, Neuroweb, Onager - Drone Controller, Shield, FnP, Flamer)
    1 Crisis BG (PG, FB, Vectored Engines)
    2 Crisis BG (PG, FB, BC)
    4 Crisis BG (PG, FB, Target Lock)
    4 Shield Drones
    5 Gun Drones

Clocks in at 972 points which is not what I consider a competitive build but dead nasty in the right circumstances.

Basically lots of positioning when you drop. Present Farsight and BS Commander to enemy and make full use of sworn protector, shield drones and split fire. Would be interested to know what others run...

Take Grey Knight allies. Warp Quake will solve the "no scatter" problem which might give you the ability to force the Deep Strikers out of the Plasma range from the bulk of your forces ?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Take Grey Knight allies. Warp Quake will solve the "no scatter" problem which might give you the ability to force the Deep Strikers out of the Plasma range from the bulk of your forces ?
    Yeah Warp Quake is vicious, even against drop pods. I've never came up against a Grey Knight player using the unit before which seems odd to me!

Well, the one I use (bacause I try to keep it "cheap") is:

Farsight

Bodyguard x2 fusion guns, target lock, 2 gun drones (for ablative wounds)
    Bodyguard x2 fusion guns, target lock, 2 gun drones
    Bodyguard x2 plasma guns, counterfire defense system, 2 gun drones
    Bodyguard x2 plasma guns, cpunterfire defense system, 2 gun drones
    Bodyguard, cnc node, onager glove, drone controller, iridium battlesuit, 2 gun drones

Edit for spelling*

OP is using chaos, so I don't think grey knights are an option.

The larger the unit, the larger the foot print, You could always try using terrain and other units to protect what you would expect to be the main target of the bomb, by narrowing the possibilities of where it can be placed. Chaos can't really counter this unit except to try and prevent the amount of damage it can do when it drops, and then to either take it out as quickly as possible or tar pit it. I always take dirge casters on my vehicles (a landraider and 2 rhinos) but I am yet to see how they fare against the new tau.

Quote Originally Posted by nurglez View Post
    OP is using chaos, so I don't think grey knights are an option.

The larger the unit, the larger the foot print, You could always try using terrain and other units to protect what you would expect to be the main target of the bomb, by narrowing the possibilities of where it can be placed. Chaos can't really counter this unit except to try and prevent the amount of damage it can do when it drops, and then to either take it out as quickly as possible or tar pit it. I always take dirge casters on my vehicles (a landraider and 2 rhinos) but I am yet to see how they fare against the new tau.
    Pretty much this. The new META makes the Drop & Pop almost mandatory (particularly against Tau). Most of my lists have the option to Deep Strike a huge portion of my force. My vehicles always have Dirge Casters. You setup to swap Queens. He "bombs" you. You destroy the unit after he takes one of yours. That is pretty much it.

Chapter-Master

Assuming you are playing a decent game, don't bunch everything together and use cover to your advantage. Remember that it comes down on turn two at the earliest. If you only give your opponent one target in range a time - which should be easy on a 6x4 - you don't have to worry much at all. They come down, probably destroy something, and then you can pincer them with other stuff. Pretty basic, but it works and should apply to every army.

As Caitsidhe said, you effectively exchange queens and deal with the rest of the force.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast