BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Default Reserves and Psychic powers

Hey guys, quick question:
    While there is no official "psychic phase", blessings etc. are cast at the start of the movement phase, so one might call it that. Reserves are supposed to come in "at the start of your turn", so that's before our "psychic phase". That should mean I can cast Blessings on (or even from) units that just entered from reserves, right? And also that the Hemlock can use Terrify the turn he flies in? Oh, and about that, when exactly do Interceptor shots happen? We usually play it so that all reserves come in simultaneously and then Interceptors shoot a target of their choosing...)

Blessing are manifested at the start of the movement phase. Anything that takes place at the start of the movement phase can't be done by a unit entering from reserve.

Interceptor shots are done at the end of the movement phase. That's in the rule itself.

Occuli Imperator

While I do not have my rule book on me I would say that a unit coming on from reserve cannot use any powers that are manifest at the start of teh movement phase. There is no is specification for what order units move, so I can so no reason unit X arrives from reserve (using whatever method) then unit Y casts blessings on the arriving unit.

Rational:

I think this is covered in Reserves, or at least is implied. (p124?)

When bringing models in from reserve, measure from the edge of the battlefield.
    This infers that at the start of the movement phase, i.e. when the powers need to be manifested, the model itself is off the board, butted up next to it.
    It then uses its movement phase to fully come onto the board. Models off the board cannot do anything or grant benefits, unless specifically specified.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

I actually had this come up last week. If you look at the bottom left of page 9 (BRB) it shows that when two events occur simultaneously, the player whose turn it is decides the order in which they happen. For example, in my game, my librarian entered via drop pod, then was able to cast blessings and maledictions right away. I believe it was also FAQd by GW that it works this way as well. I wasn't sure I could do it but my opponent, who is a regular tournament player, and the GM who is running our campaign both told me that's how it goes, you're in the clear mate

Occuli Imperator

From Capn Stoogey:
    40k Rules FAQ April 2013:
    Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
    phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
    rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
    A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
    turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
    page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

The powers are cast at the start of the movement phase so by the time a unit is coming in from reserve the start has passed so the power can't be cast on them.

Reserves are rolled for at the "start" but arrive after the start.

We also need to remember this
    Page 125
    "Unless stated otherwise, a unit cannot charge, or use any abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserve."

So a libby casting a Blessing when he Pods in is wrong.
    Last edited by Magpie; 06-12-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    The powers are cast at the start of the movement phase so by the time a unit is coming in from reserve the start has passed so the power can't be cast on them.

Reserves are rolled for at the "start" but arrive after the start.

We also need to remember this
    Page 125
    "Unless stated otherwise, a unit cannot charge, or use any abilities or special rules that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserve."

So a libby casting a Blessing when he Pods in is wrong.
    It actually states in plain language that you cannot do this on page 67 under Manifesting Psychic Powers, third paragraph down. So, umm, nope. Kinda scares me that tournament players believe otherwise though.

Being a tournament player give you no special abilities in interpreting the rules nor the conduct of the game in my experience.
    Quite the opposite in some cases

Chapter-Master

I've always played that you can not use blessings when you arrive from reserve but this is on pg 7 of the main rulebook FAQ.

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
    phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
    rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
    A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
    turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
    page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

So... what does this mean?

It means that at the start of the movement phase, before anything has actually moved, you get to do a series of things.
    Roll for reserves, cast certain powers, determine outflanking moves and so on.

You as the current player get to choose the order in which they are done.

Once they are done, you then move you units, starting with any that are arriving from reserve.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast