BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    How many of these "methods to kill it" are things you'd include in a standard all comers list? WOuld you run these units in a tournie, or just if you knew you were facing one of these beasties
    Rending Genestealers & pseudo-Rending Shuricats of some sort are pretty common, same with IG Lascannon gunships. I'd probably include some flavor of them in a tournament list.

Chapter-Master

It's been a while since Genestealers have been common, or even present, competitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    I didn't say that? Did I? I don't remember commenting on how well the darn thing performs at all.
    Oh, oops, I was actually responding to z3n1st, then got mixed up when you quoted me. He's the one who said that.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Oh, oops, I was actually responding to z3n1st, then got mixed up when you quoted me. He's the one who said that.
    Totally my fault. When I saw you ask about kidding I didn't read close enough to realize you weren't talking to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Are you kidding? In the one against CSM Nurgle his Wraithknight killed a Daemon Prince, 4-5 Obliterators, and then sprinted across the board to kill a unit of cultists that was going for an objective that nothing else in Reecius' army was in position to reach. And he did it all while rolling absolutely terribly. I don't know how much it killed in the other games, but it was always doing something useful. I know against IG Frankie wasted a couple of turns of firepower shooting at it, and the Wraithknight got into his deployment zone and wiped out his remaining scoring units and prevented him from chasing after the Relic, so even if it didn't kill its points it had a solid performance.
    Demon Lord, 4 oblits and a unit of cultists. Was it amazing? No it was what was expected of a Monstrous Creature with Str10 and Jump Infantry. Was it meh? Certainly not for the reasons you stated. Not saying the wraithknight is bad, in fact I am fairly certain I indicated that Reecius batreps are what convinced me that he was actually pretty good, but amazing? No. Warpspiders, now those guys are amazing, Wave serpernt? Amazing.
    Last edited by z3n1st; 06-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by z3n1st View Post
    Demon Lord, 4 oblits and a unit of cultists. Was it amazing? No it was what was expected of a Monstrous Creature with Str10 and Jump Infantry. Was it meh? Certainly not for the reasons you stated. Not saying the wraithknight is bad, in fact I am fairly certain I indicated that Reecius batreps are what convinced me that he was actually pretty good, but amazing? No. Warpspiders, now those guys are amazing, Wave serpernt? Amazing.
    The fact that the daemon lord, cost more than the knight, and was the most likely thing in hte army to actually kill it says it all really.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Any time a single model kills a Daemon Prince, 4 Obliterators, and has the speed to fill the gaps in your army and do stuff like kill enemy scoring units that are far, far away, all in one game, that's just about the definition of awesome performance. Just the Obliterators alone are enough to make the Wraithknight's points back handily.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I have had a bike squad do nearly the same thing (kill mephiston, a squad of TH/SS and then wipe another unit), all with less points. Its not a measuring contest I am just pointing out that he is not the only unit capable of doing it. If he did that every game then yeah, AMAZING. 1 game? that is not a definition of amazing unless taken in the context of only that game.

Another amazing feat; 3 fire dragons take and win a multi-charge from Dante and the golden boys, and a full squad of BA assault marines. Does that make them the best assault unit? no.

Also sorry for the thread derailment not my intent. Although I don't share the same enthusiasm as others (yet) in regards to this model the topic was how to kill one.

my two cents uses a more expensive combo, but also does it fairly reliably from across the table (even first turn):

10 reapers with starshot missiles led by tau commander with CnCN, MSS, and Puretide

twinlinked, nightvision, monster hunters that ignore cover firing STR8AP3 guns
    Last edited by z3n1st; 06-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Chapter-Master

My point is, you claimed that the Wraithknight did not perform particularly well in any of the battles. That is blatantly not true.

I think this speaks volumes to its survivability, its not that it can't be killed, but did you opponent bring the tools for the job, especially when he is facing it from across the table at a tournament.

I repect Reecius and his comments on the Wraithknight, it has made me re-consider it as more than just a centerpiece, although I still don't know about its true versatility. I have watched the BatReps he posted, the wraithknight wasn't bad in any of them, but neither was it I think OMGAMAZING!

Maybe a batrep with it pitted against the Tau gunline and the also against the FMC/Hound rush, using the same list and then see just how amazing or meh it is. I am sure Reecius has access to buddies with lists like those, consider that a challenge on their behalf! I would love to see the reps
    So as you can see I never said it didn't perform well, I simply said it wasn't OMGAMAZING.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

So as you can see I never said it didn't perform well, I simply said it wasn't OMGAMAZING.
    You don't think killing two or three times its points, without taking a scratch is pretty amazing?

oh and bringing anecdotal evidence, like a bike squad performing far above the norm. Isn't a valid argument.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast