BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Sergeant

Many moons ago I made a small profit from GW after investing in them, but now days I don't think I would. While still making money they aren't growing (and are infact shrinking as a company) there is only so long they can do that before the place is a skeleton. By that point i'm not sure if they will attempt to expand again or just try to ride out everything; so I no longer feel comfortable keeping any of my money in them
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal) Satire 6

Buying the models and holding them seems like a better investment to me. Baneblade price went up 40+% in what, 5 yrs. You don't see the gw stock making those numbers. Kinda ironic that model prices go up more % than stock.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    At this point I dont trust Fantasy to have any legs in the videogames genre. Fantasy has gone from failure to failure over it's last few licensed titles.

Now 40K they can do some stuff with, so I'm watching to see what SEGA does with the pieces they bought off of THQ. That could go places.

But in any case these major games are years off.
    The problem with fantasy is that - if you want to make a fantasy video game you don't *have to* license GW's IP. Its all based on tolkien-types and basic lore and thats out there for anyone to use. I just finished up playing The Witcher 2 - which has elves and dwarves and mages and even a big bad evil dude army complete with monsters.

Why would you actually pay GW for a WHFB license when you can just pull from the existing free ideas out there already in the genre.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Fly Lord

That is indeed true Defenestratus.

It's not that Fantasy's IP isn't in depth and exhaustive - it is.

Its more of a question from the software developer's point of view - is the IP so unique and well known it is worth the license fee versus just making stuff up on your own using general fantasy tropes.

I can tell you after being in the video games industry for a while that video game designers/writers have a very high opinion of their own creativity.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

What happens to GW investors when 3D printers become cheap and accessible?

Very little I'd imagine, as few people are thieves, comparatively speaking.

That and I'd imagine GW may make the design available on a pay per print basis...

Assuming of course the machines get suitable resolution in the home, without being pointlessly expensive.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    But the pricey Space Marine, did not meet expectations.
    From what I've heard from friends in the industry, Space Marine actually did much better than anyone expected to and they were disappointed they didn't make more a push advertising it as it could have done even better. The online community died a bit when they released DLC that broke the game, but otherwise it's been a success. Rumours of Space Marine 2 abound.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12