BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Furious charge combined with counter charge

Do they stack in normal circumstances?

Ie if i have both on a model and get charged would a lowley penal legion trooper become S and I 4 if it passes its LD test?

i recon not but other people are differing. I dont mind either way as it opens more options for me in a few of my lists, but i just dont see it :S

Scout

No. I've seen this discussed before. Basically, FC works only if you assault. CC works if you've been assaulted.

There was a long thread on Warseer in which Counter-Attack and Assault-triggered abilities were debated. The arguements hinged upon whether the unit using Counter-Attack was considered to be Assaulting.

I am of the opinion that they are not assaulting, they merely gain a bonus attack, like they would if they were assaulting.
    Last edited by Culven; 11-04-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Which, in turn, hinges upon how you interpret "get the +1 attack bonus to their attacks, exactly as if they too had assaulted" in the Counter-Attack rule. Some people (who seem to be in the minority) interpret that as saying, in essence, "The unit is treated exactly as if it is assaulting. For instance, you get the +1 bonus attack for assaulting."

Other people interpret that as saying, in essence, "The unit gets +1 bonus attack."

I am of the opinion that they are assaulting (although I don't play any armies who can get this combination, so this is just a courtesy I'd allow my opponents if it ever came up). It really comes down to how you read the "exactly as if they too had assaulted" clause.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 11-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingroue View Post
    Do they stack in normal circumstances?

Ie if i have both on a model and get charged would a lowley penal legion trooper become S and I 4 if it passes its LD test?

i recon not but other people are differing. I dont mind either way as it opens more options for me in a few of my lists, but i just dont see it :S
    As with all circular arguments in 40k, it all comes down to opinions. My opinion is NO.

Come online, and educate yourself on the two different sides, then get back to your gaming group, and come to an understanding, and get on with the game.

Gamesworkshop Games are not designed to be iron clad rules based games. Never have, never will. Just come up with a compromise/house rule/whatever with your friends, and move on.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

No, Counterassault is not Assault.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Battle-Brother

in the counter attack USR it says "exactly as if they too had assaulted" at the end...

Like the thread starter, I don't care either way, but the exact wording leaves it open to argument, just like it would for Ragnar's extra D3 attacks etc. It would probably not be fair to allow it, but quite in spirit of the background as they would technically be charging at the same time rather than waiting til they get contacted and then rushing in

Chaplain

If for no other reason than it would allow my fluffy straken guard build to be just plain silly, I'd say no

The wording seems to imply just the attack bonus, but as some have mentioned, "exactly as if charging" can be read to imply that you are acting exactly as if charging, thus opening up the rules debate.

Honestly, thematically a unit that furiously charges ...and is basically counter charging ... would seemingly be doing so furiously then also, since there's no "gameworld" notion of turn, where the sarge of the squad goes "HEY, GUYS, IT'S NOT OUR TURN, THEY'RE ASSAULTING US, TONE IT DOWN A BIT!"

RAW is murky ish, but seems to lean on the side of "just +1 attack."

Chapter-Master

Frankly, I think that the "as if charging" is what is important, and that "exactly really doesn't have any meaning in this case. It seems superfluous to me. Whether or not the "exactly" is there, the rule grants +1 attack "as if" charging, meaning they aren't actually charging, but still get the attack.

Otherwise, why didn't GW use the more simple wording of "if the unit passes a leadership test, they also count as assaulting that turn". In that case, they would get all the benefits.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

good point, Darklink, they could have said "also count as charging"... Like I said before, I have no real bias either way, but purely because I've never came up against it or had a unit with both USRs at once in my own army.

I pose the argument used by a guy in my local GW store.... (purely for discussion's sake)

He says "it specifically tells you blood claws DON'T get +2A for counter attacking, yet a few pages awaythere is an almost identical special rule for ragnar's +D3A on the charge, with no mention of him not getting it in counter attack. As they were written at the same time for the same book, the precedent seems to be that the author would point out any limitations on it, and since ragnar has none, he gets his +D3 when counter attacking and gets furious charge too."

Though he makes good points, I genuinely think it would be too unbalancing to allow it, but people will fight for their unit of doom til the cows come home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast