BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you or your opponents play better with models you have taken the time to paint?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I feel it makes a difference

163 86.24%
  • No. Painted or unpainted makes no difference to me

26 13.76%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Really didn't expect this thread to get so much attention :-)

Personally I like nothing more than going up against a well painted army. There's nothing like seeing an amazingly painted miniature and wonder how they got it so good.

I usually base my target priority list on openent units abilities but I'm guilty of occasionally wasting a few rail gun shouts out of sync on a well painted mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Blusox69 View Post
    I'm guilty of occasionally wasting a few rail gun shouts out of sync on a well painted mini.
    Psychological warfare! Deliberately targeting and killing your opponent's favourite model might seem cruel, spiteful and occasionally unnecessary but it might also get in their head... Or just give you bragging rights, which are good too.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
    Psychological warfare! Deliberately targeting and killing your opponent's favourite model might seem cruel, spiteful and occasionally unnecessary but it might also get in their head... Or just give you bragging rights, which are good too.
    I played a tau player with a brand new riptide with fresh paint. On turn two my birds came on and I wasted it with two talons. He was pissed and gunned down all three of them by turn three.

sometimes I paint a model as it's being assembled. For me frequently, that means unpainted=not fully assembled=harder to user "properly" in game. So painted models for me do have higher useablity.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

If well-painted miniatures win more often, it's probably due to the amount of time the hobbyist has spent on the hobby. If I've spent 15 years painting and playing, I probably field an army with mostly decently-painted models and few or no unpainted models. And, if that's the case, and I've spent 15 years painting and playing, then I have probably learned a thing or two along the way. If you notice trends of well-painted armies winning, it's probably because the person has had a long time to refine their strategies, and have developed a well-oiled machine of an army (or at least avoid taking any units that would be obvious mistakes with their chosen strategy).

That, or the person is just having a lot of luck. I mean, dice. Right? Ultimately, if you've the best-painted models, and the most-well thought out strategy, but the worst luck, you're going to lose. If you roll 100 dice, and all 100 dice come up 1's, all your beautifully painted models with rocket launchers are going to miss.

Battle-Brother

I got a really WELL painted Imperial guard army... it is so well painted that, as my local group always plays in a an ash grey tabletop I decided their cammo to be stripped grey/black. They are SO good painted that sometimes some players FORGET that some unit is there, they don't notice them inside my really BIG army of about 110 models, all of them painted grey, with the bases exactly painted to match the terrain they always play... grey. So I have taken some last turn objectives with a 5 men command squad that wasn't taken into account by the enemy simply because they don't notice them till it's too late

Brother-Captain

Camouflage at its finest.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Fielding unpainted figs should be a flogging offence lol.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456