BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Worth noting that High Magic is finally available, after several editions of claiming world magical supremacy and then being forced to hide every time a high elf prances by.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by el_tigre View Post
    Worth noting that High Magic is finally available, after several editions of claiming world magical supremacy and then being forced to hide every time a high elf prances by.
    This is good. The two things I liked most about lizardmen have always been "lots of magic" and "giant stompy dinosaur monsters."
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    My only problem is that my local Fantasy community is dedicated to the hardcore/competitive/serious playstyle. There's nothing wrong with that playstyle, but I'm not sure how well I'd be received as a relative newbie (I own a bunch of lizards, but I've only played a handful of times). I'll probably give it a shot, anyway. Can't hurt.
    My experience is that these types of groups are usually small, and have a tendency to not bring in new players. Your mission should be to build an army that completely messes up their meta, and throw the group into chaos.

Chapter-Master

I think the biggest problem with the new Lizardmen models is the prices. Some of them are reasonable - $60 for a blastilodon or a trio of skinks-on-flyers is pretty ok - but $85 for the carnosaur? What are they thinking? There's no way I can afford that. It's going to have to wait until I can get it cheap/used on eBay.

I think the biggest problem with the new Lizardmen models is the prices. Some of them are reasonable - $60 for a blastilodon or a trio of skinks-on-flyers is pretty ok - but $85 for the carnosaur? What are they thinking? There's no way I can afford that. It's going to have to wait until I can get it cheap/used on eBay.
    Don't look at the price tag on the Eldar Wraithknight.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    Don't look at the price tag on the Eldar Wraithknight.
    I wasn't planning to.

The flyer, maybe. I'm not fond of the wraithknight. Too techy. In general, I like how Eldar stuff looks kind of fantasy-ish. You know - their guns are elegant and extended and look kind of likes swords. Their force field things look like stylized shields. The wraithknight looks too much like a giant robot. If I decide I have to have one, I'll make one myself.

Chapter-Master

Personally, I thought it was reasonable (by GW standards). You can build three different models out of it, one of which is a SC, as well as a foot character. The flyers are excellent value, you get two possible unit builds, a generic hero or a SC. All still massively overpriced for bits of plastic, but a step in the right direction by GW standards. I hope we see more of the inclusion of SC's in standard units.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Personally, I thought it was reasonable (by GW standards). You can build three different models out of it, one of which is a SC, as well as a foot character. The flyers are excellent value, you get two possible unit builds, a generic hero or a SC. All still massively overpriced for bits of plastic, but a step in the right direction by GW standards. I hope we see more of the inclusion of SC's in standard units.
    I never thought that a kit's versatility - unless it's built in such a way that magnetizing it is a serious possibility - is a good reason to increase the price.

I'm two-thirds in agreement with you. The blastilodon and the flying dino boxes are great. The carnosaur is just too much.

EDIT: That said, I don't think I'll end up having to pay full price for a carnosaur kit. With the geek tax (the tax you pay for getting it right away) it's in the $70ish range. If I wait until it's old hat, I'm betting I can get it for $60. If I wait a year, I can get them used for even less.

EDIT 2: Additionally, I'm not so into Saurus leaders. I prefer my Lizardmen lists as monster/magician delivery services.
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 07-31-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Chapter-Master

I'm not saying versatility should have much bearing on price either (especially as ultimately you can only build one model out of it) but it is better value than say, the Riptide, which at the same price gives you much less versatility. Not fantastic, but a step in right direction.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm not saying versatility should have much bearing on price either (especially as ultimately you can only build one model out of it) but it is better value than say, the Riptide, which at the same price gives you much less versatility. Not fantastic, but a step in right direction.
    That's a good point, actually. I suppose if I were getting wargames models as, say, presents from an ignorant non-nerd friend or family member, I'd rather get a second new carnosaur multikit than, say, a second riptide.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast