BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant
    Catterick, North Yorkshire, and Birmingham

Default 5556 point IG Army for Apocalypse

Hi Guys, just wondering what your thought's are on the following IG army I started a few years ago and have recently decided to finish. Started off as a small force but snow balled into what it is now. Other projects halted earlier progress but especially with the recent apocalypse book being released I have had a third wind to complete this army. Each wind ive had has been accompanied by a new platoon the first being Steel Legion, the second being valhallans, and now the third which is cadians (old school metal models). Anyway I hope you can give me some feedback on my army list, especially if I have made any mistakes that I need to rectify, cheers.

HQ - yarrick + imperial commander with 4 veterans (grenade launcher + vox), master of the fleet and 2 bodyguards + mechanicum priest (Chimera Transport)

ELITE - Storm Trooper Squad 8 man with plasma + melta (Valkyrie) + 5 Ratling Snipers

TROOPS - Steel Legion Platoon - command squad, 1st squad (missile launcher + plasma), 2nd squad (lascannon + grenade launcher), 3rd squad (heavy bolter + grenade launcher), heavy weapon squad (3 lascannons)

Valhallan Platoon - command squad, 1st squad (missile launcher + flamer), 2nd squad (autocannon + melta), heavy weapon squad (3 mortars)

Cadian Platoon - command squad, 1st squad (heavy bolter + plasma), 2nd squad (lascannon + flamer), 3rd squad (autocannon + melta) special weapon squad (melta + 2 sniper rifles)

All squads mounted in Chimera Transports

FAST ATTACK - Valkyrie, Hellhound, Devil Dog, 2 Armoured Sentinels (lascannons)

HEAVY SUPPORT - Baneblade, 2 Hydra Flak Tanks, Leman Russ Sqn 3 tanks (1st executioner, 2nd HB side sponsons, 3rd dozer), Leman Russ Sqn 3 tanks ( 1st vanquisher, 2nd MM side sponsons, 3rd dozer), Leman Russ Sqn 3 tanks ( 1st exterminator, 2nd HB side sponsons, 3rd dozer)

Let me know what you think please guys! cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nathaneal246 View Post

Let me know what you think please guys! cheers
    Ok what i think.
    First off. Holy Crap thats alot of guard.
    Second, Seems pretty sound to me, Dont see any super heavies which seems odd to me. But there is alot of things in there that can do damage to a super heavy so i think you're ok.

Brother-Sergeant

cheers,

yeah it is a lot haha, erm ive got the baneblade and my mate said to get a shadowsword I think but I don't know! that might be to much!

cheers,

yeah it is a lot haha, erm ive got the baneblade and my mate said to get a shadowsword I think but I don't know! that might be to much!
    9 Leman russ? Grab one more and you can run them as an armored company.

Brother-Sergeant

fair point but I don't know whether that would be an advantage or dis advantage but I am getting the apocalypse book so I will check it out, cheers!

cheers,

You can never have too many tanks for a Guard Army. I have 15 Chimeras, 4 Hellhounds, 11 artillery tanks, 35 Leman Russ Tanks, 4 Baneblades, 1 Stormlord,1 Shadowsword/Stormsword (interchangeable barrels), 2 Warhound Titans, 1 Reaver. 2 Thunderbolts, 2 Valkyries, 2 Vendettas, 1 Vulture, and a Marauder Bomber.
    the point: you want a Shadowsword, they are great v titans/gargantuan creatures, but they are even better in general. not to mention it'll draw fire from your Baneblade. You also should get Leman Russ #10 for your armoured Company.

Brother-Sergeant

wow that an immense army pal! I take it your an experienced guard player then? if you are here's a question, in the apocalypse book it says you can upgrade a tank to a command tank or something, I don't have the book in front of me, is that worth it with say my baneblade or if I did get one a stormlord? Also I am getting the 10th tank to make up the armoured company but im unsure what type of leman russ to make it, a staff member in GW said a punisher but I don't know! Any suggestions?