BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Space Marine Assualt Squad... The good, The bad & The ugly

Hello fellow Bols bloggers

I am here today to discuss the tactics that can help me around the use of an Assault Squad for regular Space Marines

I do admit I am somewhat lost for their use besides actually getting in combat and having a decent amount of dice rolls due to the extra charge bonus, two handed weapons.

But without the deepstrike and charge use from the Vanguards, I am stuck on the way on how to actually use a Assualt Squad sucessfully

Any tips or hints out there?

Cheers
    Blastboy113

Chapter-Master

Alas, but they're just overpriced and underpowered for what you get. Their best use is for BA Razorback spam, and that's not even that special now.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Occuli Imperator

The thing to remember with them is that while they are the dedicated assault units compared with every other armies dedicated assault unit they are not good. If you want to increase their chances of survival then it is taking a full 10 man squad and hunt shooting troops.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

I like them
    I've had some luck with them with certain deployments.
    I like to scoot them up the least protected side of the board trying to keep them in cover as best I can and not really get them in to trouble until turn 4.
    I find them great for mopping up after shooting or contesting. I've tried using them as an iron fist to the face but with not much success, but a cheeky left hook when they're not looking has been quite good.

Rush 'em up the flank with the most cover, get an assault in on one of the later game turns. I only use jump pack marines for DoA BA, and that's a completely different playstyle from Raptors or regular Assault Marines.

Chapter-Master

They are counter assault units, not Seek and Destroy.
    You use them to support your tacticals, and they will always bring you a smile.

Seek and Destroy belongs to Sternguard, Vanguard, and Terminators.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    They are counter assault units, not Seek and Destroy.
    You use them to support your tacticals, and they will always bring you a smile.

Seek and Destroy belongs to Sternguard, Vanguard, and Terminators.
    So what do you do counter assault when your opponent has no intention of assaulting you.

Battle-Brother

I've had mixed results with my assault squad, using them full on up the middle or as more of a pincer unit. Recently I converted a character with lightning claws and jump pack to use with the Kayvaan Shrike rules, thus giving my assault sqaud who he is attached to the infiltrate special rule!
    Unfortunateley I still havent had chance to try this out and not sure what will change in the new codex!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofblades View Post
    So what do you do counter assault when your opponent has no intention of assaulting you.
    Well, space marines are supposed to be in your face. Dakka with tacticals, mop up with the assault marines.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Doesn't make assault Marines any less terrible.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast