BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is a land speeder storm plus scout squad worth it?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with the upgrades as suggested.

9 37.50%
  • Yes, but don't upgrade them. The extra points aren't worth it.

8 33.33%
  • No, they look better on paper than they work in practice.

7 29.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

Depends on the local metagame. Around here we have a lot of shooty armies with vulnerable targets (Long Fang/Devastator Squads, shooty tactical squads, land speeder squadrons, Eldar Guardians, any Tau or Necron infantry, etc.) Those 5 scouts can really do a number on the right target, especially if you go first and can get the 1st turn assault.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshalAdamar View Post
    I think people underestimate this unit sometimes. Not everything in the space marine codex is designed to be the hammer of the gods.

Think about the unit and its delivery system.

Scouts are WS:3 BS:3 S:4 T:4 I:4 4+
    Tau are WS:2 BS:3 S:3 T:3 I:2 4+
    Guard are WS:3 BS:3 S:3 T:3 I:3 5+

Looks like win to me in those cases.
    Just don't put them up against dedicated assault units Scounts VS Death company = fail.

Take two units of 5 with CCW and BP for assault OR bolters for camping.

Flank; zoom in and roast an objective free of opposition, drop off the holding unit and fly away to harass someone else.

Scouts are not that bad in H2H even against marines if you soften them up first. And they are very distracting your opponent can’t take the chance and leave an objective close to the board edge unprotected because you can zoom in and take it.

So use that and if you get to place objectives put them in hard to reach places with in turbo boosting distance and stress out your opponent waiting for the Storms to arrive.
    Exactly!

Also, I often use my Scouts in the LS Storm to work with another unit. Very few things make your opponent's heart sink as much as seeing a Storm zoom across the table, deploy the Scouts on a forward objective (if possible with loads of cover, or even out of sight), only to find out that they carry a teleport homer as well. Which often means that the turn after, Terminators appear to tear the other guy a new one.

And great fun was had by all.

Just don't expect a LS Storm to be a gamebreaker on its own. It's one of the more subtle units Marines can take and takes some getting used to if you want to use it well. Most other Marine units do pretty much what it says on the box: Terminators terminate things, Devastators blow things up, Assault squads get in your face and kill you. The Storm doesn't do any of that as well as the above, but can make it so much easier for the above squads to do their jobs.
    Imagine having your Assault Squad charge, having the Storm and Scouts attack the same unit, that's pretty much the end of that unit, even if it's normally hard to shift, given the extra modifier from the Cerberus. And if the Scouts carry a teleport homer, next turn will be even more fun!

Yes, best use of the storm is to drop off an outflanking troop choice to capture a late-game objective.

Veteran-Sergeant

Personally scouts are one of my favorite things in the codex. With Telion, the new bikes, AND the Storm.
    I haven't tried it myself but using two could yield pretty nice results.
    Lindargo,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12