BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eldar Wraithseer (from updated IA: Apocalypse) - answers from Forge World editors

Recently I saw the updated rules for Wraithseer in the new IA: Apocalypse from Forge World. The rules presented there aroused many questions in me, so I decided to adress them directly to the FW editors team. I've got the following answers (in bold):

"Hi,

Thank you for your email. Please find answers to your questions below.

1) Question – Wraithseer:

In the updated IA:Apocalyspe Wraithseer is able to purchase Wraithcannon for 40 points. Is this a typo? I am almost sure that you’ve meant to include D-Cannon here (as it was previously in its kit).

No. The Wraithseer may purchase a Wraithcannon for 40 points as stated in its datasheet. If this changes it will be reflected in a future errata.

2) Question – Wraithseer:

While there is a range in the profile for the witchfire power, there is no information on how far the Wraithseer can cast his Enliven and Deliverance blessing powers. Is it correct to assume that the range of this powers is infinite? If not, please tell me what is the casting range for those powers?

Yes, both psychic powers have unlimited range.

3) Question – Wraithseer:

According to the 6th Edition rules for manifesting psychic powers, if the psyker is casting a witchfire power – than he can’t shoot from his ranged weapon. Nevertheless, Wraithseer is a Monstrous Creature and can fire from two of his weapons. Does it mean that can cast his witchfire power and shoot from his shoulder-mounted weapon (for example a D-Cannon) in the same shooting phase?

Yes, using a Witchfire power counts as firing an Assault weapon. A Monstrous creature will be able to use a Witchfire power and fire one weapon.

4) Question – Wraithseer:

Is Wraithseer affected by his own Spirit Mark special ability? Is he affected by Spirit Mark special abilities of Spiritseers?

No to both. Spirit Mark specifically affects Wraithguard, Wraithblades, Wraithlords, Wraithknights and Hemlock Wraithfighters as stated in Codex: Eldar.

5) Question – Wraithseer:

Is Wraithseer affected by the Voice of Twilight psychic power cast by Spiritseers (from Iyanden Supplement to Codex: Eldar)?

No, Voice of Twilight specifically affects Wraithguard, Wraithblades, Wraithlords and Wraithknights.

6) Question – Wraithseer:

Can Wraithseer be healed by using the The Wraithforge Stone (an artifact taken from the list of Gifts of Asuryan from Iyanded Suppleent to Codex: Eldar)

No, The Wraithforge stone only affects a Wraithlord or Wraithknight.

7) Question – Wraithseer:

Can Wraithseer be the target of his own blessing powers: Enliven and Deliverance? Do they work on him?

No. Both powers state which units they affect. The Wraithser is not one of them.

I hope you feel your questions have been fully answered. If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,
    Forge World"

Frankly speaking, I was disheartened by most of the answers, as they look counter-intuitive. About my very first question I ran into a contradicting answer from a FW Facebook representative here:

[url]https://www.facebook.com/ForgeWorldU...02680666415883[/url]

It is shown here, that the Wraithseer should be able to purchase D-Cannon instead of Wraithcannon. I've stated this contradiction to FW editors team in a new letter and currently waiting for additional clarification...

All in all, at the moment it looks like if I would take Wraithseer into my roster, it would be without any gun at all, just to keep him in deploy area to spam the Feel No Pain blessing upon the Wraithguard/-blades unit marching to the enemy.

Wraithseer can't be hastened/healed via Iyanden special tricks, his own spells do not work on him and he can't re-roll 1-s on his 'To Hit' rolls via Spirit Mark (although Hemlock Wraithfighter can...., even though he only has access to Blast weapons...). As it turns out (before any new errata is released) that Wraithseer is the only Wraith-unit that is not affected by a number of Wraith-unit specific rules/powers.

Chapter-Master

Wow

As if I needed another reason to drop mine off a cliff. He'll be collecting dust next to his best friends, howling banshees.

Such a raw deal we're getting from FW. I feel no remorse whatsoever for not purchasing another thing from them ever again.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Occuli Imperator

You can always send it to me

I think though most of the answers are self explanitory
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

well this directly contradicts what several people, me included, have already got as an answer directly from ForgeWorld - that is definitely supposed to be a D-Cannon, not a Wraithcannon.
    Not counting him as "Wraith" seems incredibly stupid - if I had one we would definitely house-rule that to work, and honestly, you are hardly going to play one competitively... so I wouldn't worry too much about that either... seems you just got a "bad" FW guy to reply to you...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Still, even in the current state it can be worth it just for FnP blessing on Wraithguards/blades. Especially with the first known blessing with unlimited range ))

I hope they will later realise all the mentioned issues and release Errata. The idea behind the model is begging to be in synergy with all of the subtle power-ups found in Iyanden Supplement. The fact that the ancient artifact (The Wraithforge stone) is powerfull enough to mend wounds on a Wraithknight, but can't heal a Wraithseer is counter-intuitive.

Similarly, how can a Wraith-construct that has a spirit of ancient Warlock/Farseer inside be immune to the energizing effects of Voice of Twilight? Is the spell not powerfull enough to work on such a unique Wraith-unit? This just does not make sense...

It will be fine if they will later limit the range of his blessings, they do not have to be limitless (its broken, 18'' or 24'' will work just fine). But it should be logical if Spirit Mark, the Wraithforge Stone and Voice of Twilight will work for Wraithseer.

Just recieved a reply to my second letter to Forge World, where I pointed out the inconsistency with Facebook comments about Wraithseer/D-Cannon issue:

"Hi there.
    The rules for the Wraithseer should include an option for a D-Cannon rather than a Wraithcannon as indicated on our Facebook site so please accept our apologies for the confusion."

It looks like you were spot on Tyrendian, the guy who was answering to me originally did not know about the Facebook reply from other FW staff.

So at least I can keep my beloved D-Cannon on its shoulder It's a start. I think I'll send them a suggestion for future errata to repair the synergy of Wraithseer with other Wraith-unit related rules as I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Sersis; 08-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Chapter-Master

Good to hear about the D-Cannon, I am planning to make the Wraithseer my final addition for a 2000 point Wraithwall army now.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Battle-Brother

Updates on Facebook aren't a good way of publishing them, even if it is ephemeral as not everyone can or will use Facebook, and not everyone follows them.

Don't they have, like, a blog on their official site? That at least is focussed and puts it in the correct place.

Another reason to NOT accept FW (even the 40k labelled stuff) in normal games yet, and is a blow to the credibility and inclusion of their rules. (though the models are fine and free to use as 'counts-as' where appropriate; there's no reason why a lot of the models need extra rules anyway - the Dreadnaught Drop Pod can be just that as the regular model doesn't allow room for an ordinary Dreadnaught for example)

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

please FW is no worse at this than GW, they STILL haven't cottoned on to the fact the burning chariot cannot fire....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidal View Post
    Updates on Facebook aren't a good way of publishing them, even if it is ephemeral as not everyone can or will use Facebook, and not everyone follows them.

Don't they have, like, a blog on their official site? That at least is focussed and puts it in the correct place.

Another reason to NOT accept FW (even the 40k labelled stuff) in normal games yet, and is a blow to the credibility and inclusion of their rules. (though the models are fine and free to use as 'counts-as' where appropriate; there's no reason why a lot of the models need extra rules anyway - the Dreadnaught Drop Pod can be just that as the regular model doesn't allow room for an ordinary Dreadnaught for example)

Mistakes are present in every version of the rules, from every compant, its why FAQs are released, these things so far are judgement calls from people interpreting the rules to help their customers, until an official FAQ is released, the rules from the book are correct so I can see why the first person said that, he wasn't aware of the printing error. This isn't a blow to credibility so much as a small mistake. Its a game of toy soldiers, its not life or death so it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by SaveModifier; 08-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast