BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by rusty84 View Post
    Cheers, think im gonna tailor my Sternguard to that specific role!
    yeah good plan - that's what I mostly use my Deathwatch for (built the squad when they got their White Dwarf rules introducing special ammunition, before the Marine Codex... and since they are just plain better as Sternguard, and my mates know exactly what they are (some are our very own Deathwatch characters from the RPG) they don't mind if it's not exactly WYSIWYG...). A bunch of combi-meltas are very useful outside of Apoc as well - especially with the ability to Combat Squad the bunch to avoid overkill...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Battle-Brother

Awesome, I wanna have mine as Deathwatch aswell! Going to start with a 5 man squad. Sgt with pwer weapon and combi-plasma, 2 x combi-melta and 2 x melta, really looking forward to painting them up!

Librarian

close combat or items like vortex grenades on a suicide unit or another superheavy. though wazdakka is pretty good so far he has claimed one warhound titan

I've faced superheavies only a few times (Baneblade and Stompa mostly) and I agree that dedicated anti-tank unit (or two) delivered in their vicinity is the best option.
    First Stompa (slightly damaged) was destroyed by my single Fire Dragon Exarch (I had some luck on dices - 6,6,6 and it blew up in apocalyptic explosion... ).
    Second (undamaged) was destroyed by 10 eldar strong Fire Dragons unit, deployed from WS.
    Baneblade was destroyed by combined effort of Fire Dragons and Dark Eldar Jetbikes.

Except first stompa all of them were destroyed in a single round by coordinated, precise strike.

Pssyche's idea of delivering FD via Webway Portal is great. I use deepstriking unit of Fire Dragons (ability granted by allied eldar Corsair Prince) - it's easier but less precise.
    Sternguards in Drop Pod would do their role but having some lascannons or melta landspeeders as a backup wouldn't hurt. Good luck

Battle-Brother

Thanks for all the tips!

My Reaver Titan was killed by Eldar Fire Dragons - they, alongside everything within 34" died (apart from it's bloody fire prism that dropped them off) when the reactor went nuclear.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    Attachment 4735

This little ruse worked pretty well for my Eldar back at Easter, in the previous incarnation of Apocalypse.

Hornet Formation gave me a Webway Portal acting as my table edge.
    Out pop 29 Fire Dragons, split across four Units with a Farseer just for good luck...

Oh, dear...
    Your 2,500 point, 10 Structure Point (30 HP) Chaos Titan has just blown up on Turn One without firing a shot...
    How did the portal get there in the first place? My only experience with them is when Dark Eldar have one popping out of a Haemonculus' hand after dropping it from the side of a transport.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

My Son has built up a sizable IG force over the years and when he games it is with two super heavies. A bane blade and a big dude with a huge las cannon designed for other super heavies, it is nicknamed a titan killer because it can do it with one shot. He could field more heavies but he uses a cordon around them of tanks, walkers and chimera. The chimera carry veterans which can tool up on lots of assault weapons which makes the whole plan of assaulting the heavies entertaining.

6th Ed has made assaulting very difficult these days, you can't do it disembarking from vehicles unless they're open topped or assault designed. You can't do it the turn you deep strike or flank. Not sure about the web way portal, haven't seen that before. And do you still have to do leadership checks if you have another target closer to you than the one you want? Shame they dumbed down the wraith guns.

By the way;

My Reaver Titan was killed by Eldar Fire Dragons - they, alongside everything within 34" died (apart from it's bloody fire prism that dropped them off) when the reactor went nuclear.
    Fire prisms don't have a troop carrying capacity, I think your mate was having a lend.

Chaplain

The Hornet Formation in Imperial Armour 11: The Doom of Mymeara gives a Webway Portal.
    Once it is in play, it counts as your table edge.
    If the Hornets are arriving from Reserves, you can Deep Strike the Portal anywhere on the table.
    Last edited by Pssyche; 09-13-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    The Hornet Formation in Imperial Armour 11: The Doom of Mymeara gives a Webway Portal.
    Once it is in play, it counts as your table edge.
    If the Hornets are arriving from Reserves, you can Deep Strike the Portal anywhere on the table.
    First I've ever heard of a deep striking webway portal -- that's scary. How does it interact with the Deep Strike Mishap rules?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast