BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting back into 40k, GK or Eldar???

Hi guys,

Am looking at getting back into 40k, back in the day, I used to play DA or SW, loving those marines, but am looking at the models around for the Eldar, and those Wraith knights are just looking awesome, no idea how good they are, but they look great.

A mate of mine has gotten CSM as his thing, and a good couple of those flying chickens, damn they are tough:-(

So wanted to gauge what would be best to look at, I do not like Tau, never have liked the models, but have loved the idea of a GK army, as they are just cool, or maybe an Eldar force.

WHat gives me a more rounded army, and something to take care of those darned flyers???

Cheers

Polle

First-Captain

mh neither GK nor Eldar are exactly brilliant at Anti Air... GK have their Storm Raven and that's basically it, while Eldar have a couple of decent, if expensive options (like Dark Reapers on an Icarus/QuadGun - who will at the same time be a royal pain for his Power Armored guys!). There's also always Allies...
    The Wraithknight, while first scoffed at as too expensive (by me as well admittedly), has absolutely proven its worth for me - didn't die once yet, usually pulls quite some fire and the Heavy Wraithcannons are beastly to kill hard targets - and it's even decently mobile, being a jumper (though probably not as good as a Riptide in that department)
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

If GK and Eldar are the choices, I'd go Eldar every day.

New book, great models, lots of flexibility for painting and modeling, and a better variety of builds.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I agree with Cactus. Go with Eldar. They're more flexible in both modeling and rules. Also, I find their background more compelling.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chapter-Master

GKs are better for build variety. Eldar suffer from having certain units that are pretty much flat out better than other units. Why not spam Wave Serpents and War Walkers? They're far from Phil Kelly's worst codex in that regard, but they don't have nearly as good internal balance as Grey Knights do. If you ignore some of the Inquisitorial options and the Brotherhood Champion/Brother Captain, you can literally take virtually any GK unit in any combination without too much trouble and be decent.

Eldar are both more competitive and better against flyers than Grey Knights. Guide a big unit of Warp Spiders, and jump into the rear arc and kill basically any flyer in the game. Guide War Walkers, or a Wraithknight, or just shoot one of your multiple Scatter Laser/Serpent Shield Wave Serpents at them. Through sheer weight of TL firepower, you'll land plenty of hits. Grey Knights have been hit fairly hard by the combination of nerfs to assault, Heldrakes, Tau, Dark Eldar, lack of anti-air, and likely the upcoming SM codex (particularly Centurions with Grav Cannons).

Also, Wraithknights are much better than Dreadknights. Dreadknights are overpriced and they need a 5th wound.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Eldar with GK allies? Best of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    If GK and Eldar are the choices, I'd go Eldar every day.

New book, great models, lots of flexibility for painting and modeling, and a better variety of builds.
    I amost agree 100% with Cactus, although, I am very partial to Dreadknights, both modeling and in game wise.

imo depends on the points level you play... over 1750 go eldar... at 1500 down knights
    also a knight army is cheaper and quicker to build...

Librarian

grey knights you have loads of tactical options great room for conversion's and allies and lets face it do you really want to play space marines? the little emo's will get upset everytime you kill a flower... or you could play GK and purge heretics all day every day.
    Last edited by The Girl; 08-30-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Eldar all the way, a much more elegant army choice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast