BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthcare

Chapter-Master

Until they use their own blood they're doing it half arsed.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    healthcare should be public.
    Works in theory. Until a recession shows up and inconsiderate people won't stop getting sick despite the fact the country clearly has no money left to treat them with.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

That isn't actually a true summary of what happened, Wildey.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Works in theory. Until a recession shows up and inconsiderate people won't stop getting sick despite the fact the country clearly has no money left to treat them with.
    Main issue here is that politicians just can't leave public institutions alone, NHS, Schools, you name it. They're always mucking about claiming improvements, when they're just making a bigger mess, and reducing the funding available for actually making people better!

Are there some things I don't believe should be NHS? Yes. Like non-facial disfigurement cosmetic surgery, gastric bands as an alternative to you know, actually dieting and increasing exercise, and so on.

I'm also a strong advocate of those who can afford private healthcare doing so. I get BUPA through work, and as such need not burden the NHS next time I need patching up. But seeing as they've done a sterling job patching me up when I was yet to be a full Mystery (I was barely a quandary the first couple of times) I feel no need to demand a tax or NI break. Much likes approach to state education, I see my current taxation as paying for what has gone. And seeing as I earn decent money now, and look set to continue that trend, it increases the value of said education and medical treatment. Without the former, I wouldn't be employable at all. Without the latter, I (and indeed Mumsie Mystery) wouldn't be breathing at all!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 09-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The conclusion that I reach from watching that video is that the American system is just ****ed up.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Are there some things I don't believe should be NHS? Yes. Like non-facial disfigurement cosmetic surgery, gastric bands as an alternative to you know, actually dieting and increasing exercise, and so on.
    The two folks I know that have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy had no other options... WLS is typically not an act of laziness, but desperation. WLS procedures and post WLS life are/is hardly easy. You have to watch your nutrition intake closer than most professional athletes do and take as many supplements as a cancer patient. And you have to deal with people making assumptions about who you are as a person because you chose to take charge of your health in a way that isn't popular. The lazy stereotype is tired, stop it.
    Last edited by The Girl; 09-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
    The two folks I know that have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy had no other options... WLS is typically not an act of laziness, but desperation. WLS procedures and post WLS life are/is hardly easy. You have to watch your nutrition intake closer than most professional athletes do and take as many supplements as a cancer patient. And you have to deal with people making assumptions about who you are as a person because you chose to take charge of your health in a way that isn't popular. The lazy stereotype is tired, stop it.
    Second that. I suppose there might be some people who do it because they're lazy? But as The Girl says, the shape of your life for the next year after surgery is very disciplined; hardly the sort of thing that would appeal to the lazy. The only people I know who've had this surgery really were desperate, and although their lives improved eventually, things sucked for the year or so after the procedure.

Iron Father

I know of one person who has had WLS, very large lady but not lazy. I don't know her medical background but I do know she is raising 3 children, working a full time job and an active member of the PTA. As I said I don't know her medical history, but I do know since getting surgery she is half the woman she used to be and seems twice as happy. I think in this instance now that 3 kids have a healthier mum who hopefully won't die prematurely then it's money well spent. Every case of every kind should be taken on its own merits. The NHS is doing well enough wasting money on mismanagement, that's where savings should be targeted and not at the expense of the public.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Still working for Australia.

Not to mention the last recession shouldn't have happened, but the industry is to de-regulated and focused on instant gratification to actually build for the future these days. Don't even get me started on banks and the like.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The conclusion that I reach from watching that video is that the American system is just ****ed up.
    Yup. Pretty much. I'm an American, and can attest to the fact that we are a mess.

I like that the video pointed out the fact that the problem is complex and will require complex solutions. The problem is that complex solutions are difficult to distill into sound bytes and 30-second political ads, so it's very tough to get politicians to actually try to put them in place.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    Yup. Pretty much. I'm an American, and can attest to the fact that we are a mess.

I like that the video pointed out the fact that the problem is complex and will require complex solutions. The problem is that complex solutions are difficult to distill into sound bytes and 30-second political ads, so it's very tough to get politicians to actually try to put them in place.
    How about "look at Australia" see its not hard.

seriously our care is a nice happy medium between germanies unniversal and americas every man for himself.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast