BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

if you are interested in space marines the best way to go would probably be a bundle deal this one will save you quite a bit and comes with the codex. [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2160196a"]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2160196a[/URL]

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by kire View Post
    if you are interested in space marines the best way to go would probably be a bundle deal this one will save you quite a bit and comes with the codex. [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2160196a"]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2160196a[/URL]
    That's kind of a budget killer. That's almost a third of my yearly income.

The Dark Vengence box can be a really good deal if you are a Chaos player because almost everything can be fielded by a Chaos player. Alternately, you can go in with a buddy. You each buy a box and then swap stuff... one player walks away with Chaos stuff and the other with Space Marine stuff. You can even use the Dark Angel models as regular Space Marine models if you so desire... I just wouldn't paint them green if you don't want to play DA (you might also take an exacto knife to some of the DA iconography)... Cheers. Cope

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Copeland View Post
    Thanks everyone, you're help is greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to start with the Dark Vengeance set and build up from there. I'm tempted, given the models included, to build a Fallen Angels army with Chaos Allies. Word Bearers perhaps?
    I've also been playing with another idea for a space marine chapter under the care of an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor called "The Seekers of Absolution". The twist is that they are all former Chaos Space Marines who've come to regret their decision and are once more serving the Emperor. The models would have obvious signs that they're really trying. Horns removed from helms, chaos stars filed off, holy scripture tattoo'd on mutated limbs, purity seals all over the place, etc. Is this too weird, or should I go for it?
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

This is such a helpful thread. I am going to purchase the Dark Vengeance set for the rulebook, templates etc. I may or may not play the armies that come with it. When I stepped away from 40k I played CSM and was collecting a Ravenwing Army. But, this time around I am into Orks. I just am being a little careful and TRYING to be patient in purchasing my Ork warforce. Hopefully Games Workshop will give us a definite time when the Orc codex will be revamped. Anyone have any insight to how long of a wait this may be? I may play Dark Angles or Chaos that come with the Dark Vengeance set to tide me over till the Orks are revamped

Thansk

Quote Originally Posted by Digitarii View Post
    That's kind of a budget killer. That's almost a third of my yearly income.
    And don't forget you'd have to give up a couple of years work to get it all painted!

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Copeland View Post
    Thanks everyone, you're help is greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to start with the Dark Vengeance set and build up from there. I'm tempted, given the models included, to build a Fallen Angels army with Chaos Allies. Word Bearers perhaps?
    I've also been playing with another idea for a space marine chapter under the care of an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor called "The Seekers of Absolution". The twist is that they are all former Chaos Space Marines who've come to regret their decision and are once more serving the Emperor. The models would have obvious signs that they're really trying. Horns removed from helms, chaos stars filed off, holy scripture tattoo'd on mutated limbs, purity seals all over the place, etc. Is this too weird, or should I go for it?
    I really like this idea of yours, sure it's a bit different and the fluff bunnies may disagree, but you have a great idea and as long as it's wysiwyg you would have a great start into 40k. Now you just need to start a hobby blog in the painting section
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Veteran-Sergeant

Ebay is certianly your friend for most armies. If your doing Dark Angels then it is definatly your friend. If you have a little patience you can find some great deals. Every once in awhile an auction will slip through the watchers and you can find some great deals. I've gotten a number of Dreadnoughts for under $15, tactical squads for $10-$13 for a 10 man squad, even a Land raider or two for around $30 each. It's a matter of learning the average price range for what army you are working on. I got 7 Tyranid Warriors for about $25 for my nephew

The only down side is that these mini's will need some TLC. But in the end you can have a huge army for little cash. My DA army is around 8,000 points with roughly a $300 investment.

Veteran-Sergeant

also, check you FLGS: you might be able to pick up an army on the cheap from another player, then strip the *******s and repaint to taste

I have some Marines I'm wanting rid of..... if your interested, PM me and I'll let you know what I'm offering!

Space Marine Strike Forces are going for roughly 160 on Ebay, its a pretty good deal gives you some armor and the troops you need. Following that I think you'd fill out an army if you chose a couple signature pieces for yourself. Personally I picked up one, some sternguard, stormraven and extra rhinos and I am done with my army once more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast