BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Walkers

Yeah, I know some of you kick butt with walkers (not the Texas Ranger kind) but I have no skill with them. Be they dreds or sentinels, they just wind up as battlefield wreckage under my command... so there they sit in the shelf. They look badass and are a great concept, but if I am playing to win (not that it happens often) they get left at home.
    Last edited by Drunkencorgimaster; 08-03-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Battle-Brother

I've been running space wolves for the last couple years and for me the auto shelf has to be the wolf attachments. I just could neve bring myself to pay the extra points for a wolf. I'd rather get wargear or another marine if I had that much left.

Also the Exterminator. Its a great tank but in a competitive environment it just cannot hold its own. Its almost always more worth while to splurge the extra points for a Land Raider of whatever variant.

T.

Librarian

Default I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I've been running space wolves for the last couple years and for me the auto shelf has to be the wolf attachments. I just could neve bring myself to pay the extra points for a wolf. I'd rather get wargear or another marine if I had that much left.

Also the Exterminator. Its a great tank but in a competitive environment it just cannot hold its own. Its almost always more worth while to splurge the extra points for a Land Raider of whatever variant.

T.
    Amen to that. The Exterminator looks awesome as part of a Wolves army, but you're right. It never seems worth the cost.

Librarian

Have to disagree on the Eldar assessment. Wraithlords are wonderful.

Daemonhunters: Grey Knight anything. for all the abilities these guys get, "survival" isn't one of them. Unless you use them as allies, or in Planetstrike, where they can fill gaps and do some amazing stuff.

hunter codexes: CC inquisitor squads. They never make back their points. They never have enough initiative to kill anything.

Blood Angels Troops: but the codex was free, right?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    On this note, fifth edition rules for fearless models are full of fail for Tyranid mobs. Rules for Hive Mind need serious help for the next Tyranid codex, until such time my nids will continue to gather dust in the garage.
    Synapse doesn't give Fearless. It just means that you don't need morale.

Scout

Anything artillery is awful, even the Thunderfire Cannon. Takes one lucky bolt round to knock out either the operator or the gun. The only one really worth taking is the ork battery, and ONLY Zzapp guns. Still, a risk

Chaplain

Dark Eldar - oh how they called in english? Scourges or something? The kind with jumppack and heavy weapons.
    Totaly overpriced, too fragile, useless jumppacks. If they get the relentless special rule, they´ll be back.

Chaos Space Marines - Spawns what else? I like the plastic spawns, realy. But the lack of a save in combination with "fearless" let them die in close combat very fast. Only opponents who is impressed by spawns are orcs and imps.

Tau - Vespids. What can they do? Last min. mission grabbing? hmmm expensiv. CC? shooting? okay if you´re lucky enough to catch a bunch of marines in the open with LoS to your pathfinders...
    Last edited by Archon; 08-05-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    Yeah, I know some of you kick butt with walkers (not the Texas Ranger kind) but I have no skill with them. Be they dreds or sentinels, they just wind up as battlefield wreckage under my command... so there they sit in the shelf. They look badass and are a great concept, but if I am playing to win (not that it happens often) they get left at home.
    my best experience is to use them as flanker, killing any vehicles or hvy wpns, enemy deployment. Or as snipers in cover with lascanons killing lone heros or vehicles.

Veteran-Sergeant

any IG artillery, except mortars, and one I know I will catch flak for, Pyskers or pysker squad. I have no luck with them. also penal legion.

Eldar- i have to agree with artillery, wraithlords and wraithguard, scorpions and banshees autarch, avatar.

tau- kroot (because few use them right) and vespids.

marines- to many to list...........

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    Synapse doesn't give Fearless. It just means that you don't need morale.
    He was referring to 'No Retreat!', which is quite clearly worded that even if the unit/model doesn't have the Fearless rule listed, so long as they automatically pass leadership checks/don't need to test leadership it applies to them. Which means Gaunts get slaughtered wholesale in CC against anything tougher than a GEQ instead of bogging them down for several turns.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast