BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Lion El' Jonsson have Aspergers?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way - He just had a rough Tarzan childhood.

35 45.45%
  • Yes - There is something not right with the Lion's noggin.

42 54.55%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captofthe8th View Post
    OP is right, the Lion sucks at reading people and playing well with others. It's possible to chalk it up to a rough childhood, but for a guy that can, in his own words, perform hyperspace calculations in his head, he ought to be genius enough to figure how to read people. Case in point, he handed over those super seige engines to Perturabo as he lied straight to the Lion. He really lacked in this regard.
    Not sure we can blame him for the tank one. Vulcan, Corax and Ferrus didn't spot it until said tanks were blowing their legions to smithereens.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Can't see the point of this post.
    The authors title. Lack of knowledge of the
    Disorder and tact has left a very distasteful taste in my mouth.

Really think Bols have dropped the ball publishing it
    And the negative comments coming in aren't good for
    Anyone.

Scout

As the OP, the point of the post is in discussing the motivations and thoughts behind these characters. I was simply hypothesising a point of view. I was a teacher in an SEN school (Special Educational Needs) and came across pupils with a wide range of conditions. Autism, as many have observed is measured on a spectrum, and as such can be difficult to diagnose. Postulating such speculation invites comment from others, some who agree, others who don't, some of whom will have more experience than me.

On the subject of those who agree or disagree, I didn't set up the poll, if I had, I wouldn't have used the phrase "wrong with his noggin"!

It's disappointing to read many of the comments, because where some of us use the words "Asperger's" and "Autism", others see "retard" and "*******". I have been accused of missing the point, but being abusive goes far wider of the mark. Mental Health awareness is increasingly important, and discussions surrounding them should not be taboo. Why shouldn't fictional characters have mental health issues?

I thought that the "Tarzan"argument wasnt sufficient. So I put forward another idea. There is some sound opposition, and that's fine, perhaps the answer is "No"! I thought that a Forum was a setting for people to air their views, and spark debate, that's the point isn't it?

Chapter-Master

Most of the regulars will happily debate anything with you without resorting to abuse. regardless of if they agree with you or not.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

well, OP, I have aspergers/autism, and am not offended... in fact anyone offended on my behalf is offensive.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by iamian View Post
    well, OP, I have aspergers/autism, and am not offended... in fact anyone offended on my behalf is offensive.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Scout

Thanks! I guess some people are just rude! I was tempted to say how offended I was by their rudeness but I think I'll just drop it.....
    Last edited by Resinpants; 11-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by iamian View Post
    as someone with Aspergers/Autism I would say probably, though he could just be an antisocial dick.
    Maybe so! He could have inherited that from the Emperor too! The Emperor's not exactly a "people person" is he? If you have contrary opinions or aren't a human you're kinda screwed!

I believe that ALL of the primarchs had trouble relating to others in one way or another. They were weapons, forged for leading the deadliest warriors in history. Even charismatic ones like Horus and Sanguinius were prone to throwing childlike hissy fits. They weren't made to have a great deal of empathy.

I mostly blame The Lion's reputation on extremely poor writing. ADB actually made him pretty awesome, and at the same time dispelled the unfounded theory that El'Johnson was waiting to join the fight until a victor was likely.
    Calm down. This is supposed to be FUN.

To OP : No. A Primarch's brain isn't a human brain, therefore it cannot have a specifically human disorder. Furthermore, a Primarch's brain is designed, as opposed to evolved. What would appear to us to be a pervasive disorder could be the intended result.

In any cases, Asperger's core features also includes stereotyped and repetitive motor behaviours, as well as the inability to harmonize interests and information gathering (Asperger's will often memorize ridiculously large amounts of data about things they do not care at all about, and can't stop themselves). Obviously, these aspects of Aspergers would be highly detrimental to any strategos.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast