BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

I've considered this myself. I think the hardest part is deciding on which Chapter Tactics to use. Obviously there aren't any Chapter Tactics particularly similar to the Dark Angels ones, so I don't know which you would choose.

Don't forget to take the opportunity to use some decent flyers if you do this. Why DA didn't just get Stormtalons like everyone else I'll never know. Those things they have are just inferior.

Brother-Sergeant

I agree with those who said paint em as DA but make an alteration that sets them appart. Campaign badge or shoulder pad a different color. The more you distinguish them the better for your opponent.

First-Captain

Dark Angels successors all the way!
    Make them a chapter that's in to the codex and Bob's your mothers brother.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    I agree with those who said paint em as DA but make an alteration that sets them appart. Campaign badge or shoulder pad a different color. The more you distinguish them the better for your opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    Dark Angels successors all the way!
    Make them a chapter that's in to the codex and Bob's your mothers brother.
    Should I just remind everyone that he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    Last point: my DA are black and red. One third possibility is to paint these three units black and red as well (it's not like the DA have a monopoly on those colors) but put a different sigil on the shoulders. This way the army still looks unified but one could clearly tell (close up) that the three allied units were from a different codex.e
    Which indicates he's already doing his as a DA successor? Of course, another successor could work, too, I suppose.

But as to the earlier, not all the Unforgiven are 1) a codex chapter, and 2) Not all Successor chapters take after their primogenitors but develop quirks on their own, so while they are the geneseed of the Lion, they may act more like one of the others, or at least, certain companies in their organization (Raven Guard Tactics for 10th Company, for example?).

Veteran-Sergeant

I think the need to differentiate is only necessary if you have units in your main army and your allies contingent that are the same, like one tac squad each. but if your allies are for example a scout squad, a unit of centurions and a libby and your main army does not have any of those units, you are all good. they are still units that need to be taken out and chapter tactics IMO do not boost units up on my list of priority targets.

What about painting the rim of the base a different colour for your allied detachment?

Librarian

Totally unaware of the current codex's changes earlier this year I painted all the fast attack units in my smurf company rogue trader 1991 style basic colors, bright blue shoulder pad and company colors on the arm, white bolters, they look very very different from my standard Smurfs. I wont lie, I'm probably never going to exploit this trait in my army's scheme, thanks to mounted assault I can just take a cap'n with a bike and field em, your problem doesn't allow the same situation but I think you could use the same solution, paint them rogue trader schemed (all black, with white and red heraldry) and as Asgard just said, base color will definetly help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12