BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal2Crusaders View Post
    Dude if you want boob marines, whatever, I want Male Sisters of Battle. Now tell me why I can't do it.
    You very well can I was considering doing such an army, a beleaguered Imperial World in desperate peril from chaos turns to the Ecclesiarchy for guidance and a rag tag band of priests resurrect an old warrior tradition donning ancient armor and standing with faith and bolters against the coming storm.

Just something I was toying with.

As for female marines is it really that big of a deal? I mean have we all devolved to the point of fluff nasi-ing ideas that we can't even allow the idea to exist? We cite old articles when GW could very well just flip the switch and we suddenly gain female marines. I just don't understand the concept of banning painters and converts for such things from tournaments it seems odd and foolish in every way, it is a personal choice no? If I buy Models and decide to convert them what gives people the right to say no if I were to try and register with them at a tourney?

It just doesn't make sense is my point, sorry bout the rambling. If you don't wish to play such a person, fine. But banning them from a tournament for such a thing is asinine.

Banned

Whoa there tiger, given that index Astartes further adds qualifications to that statement without one directly contradicting the other, that statement would be general, made specific by the Index Astartes article.

I go into the field for a few days and its like everyone loses their mind. You havn't justified it in fluff, Index Astartes still makes it impossible.
    It seems pretty specific on "any ordinary adolescant human" being any human, so long as they are an adolescant who is normal.

Squats used to exist, then they were eaten and now it's being hinted they never existed and were a rumour spread from space travellers. Used to be "must be male", is now any ordinary (adolescant) human.

Its funny how these threads always come up with the stupidest ways to ignore the Creation of a Space Marine article.
    Quoting a current Space Marine codex is stupid? What was I thinking! Here was me thinking GW's official, most recent, book on Space Marines might shed some light on the issue when my endeavour to read and quote complete and in context lines from that text was pure folly all along! I guess I'll go back to out of print books for all my knowledge and ideas. Hmmm... Ollanius Pious, he seems pretty cool - I wonder what ever happened to him?

Dude if you want boob marines, whatever, I want Male Sisters of Battle. Now tell me why I can't do it.
    What is your reasoning for them besides a poor attempt at trolling? All I would tell you would be ways I think you could perhaps improve whatever reasoning you came up with as I encourage creativity in the hobby rather than stamping on it whenever it doesn't fit my worldview.

The main issue why you couldn't would be the SoB minis being highly ornate and clearly female needing a workaround.
    1st option is to find a similar line of figures, probably ornate templar style knights that could take modification. A series with generic guys with crossbows would easily lend itself to bolter conversions. Reaper's Warlord line[URL="http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Crusaders/sku-down"] has the Crusader's faction[/URL] that could work, although they would need shoulderpads and =I= iconography added (lack of plastic kits will hurt here unless you're proficient with greenstuff moulding or sculpting).

For background you could do it a pre-or-during-apostasy force under Vandire, or an early M30's ecclesiarchal force. The other option is say it's a Chamber militant of a different Ordos of Inquisitors, still with a religious bent but not technically the Ecclesiarcy's army to get around the void on men under arms. Mutant Hunters or somesuch, I'm kinda making this up as I go so that's the best you're getting right now.

2nd option is to go the farcical route and have it like that episode of Slayers where the guys have to dress up as girls to hide in a temple where men are killed on sight and Zelgadis falls for a woman there and finally reveals himself to be a man but then the woman also turns out to be a man, as does every 'woman' in the temple - they were all to scared to reveal their gender due to the ban on men, and hilarity ensues.
    You could probably source some 60's/Beatles type heads easily enough to fit the bob cut of the femal sisters so it's subtle enough that people might miss painting on a five o'clock shadow at first glance.
    If you wanted a more serious reason it could be that the men come from a matriarchal society so the warrior men must dress like women in an inversion of the ancient habit of female warriors having to appear as men.
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 11-24-2009 at 11:43 AM.

I go into the field for a few days and its like everyone loses their mind. You havn't justified it in fluff, Index Astartes still makes it impossible.
    Like I said before, no it doesn't. Index Astartes says that the Imperium doesn't know how to do it. I don't think anybody doubts that.

Index Astartes is a warrant for saying that nobody in the fluff (or at least nobody anybody's heard of) knows how to make a female space marine. It is not warrant for saying that, in this universe, it is impossible to create a surgically engineered supersoldier with the same abilities as a space marine using a female host.

I used to have a customer at one of my comic/game stores that was crazy over the idea of female space marines. He only played female characters in D&D, as well. I once caught him rubbing the breasts of a Xena action figure, it was still in it's packaging. The guy always creeped me out. Later, I found out that the guy had been banned from every store in the mall that sold magazines and that he was a registered sex offender.......... Now, every time some one brings up female space marines I get that same creeped out feeling.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Abbess Sanctorum

Technically, you can. Dark Heresy has a few examples of noble houses which have the resources for small forces of power armored units in their upper elite (usually themselves the children of nobility). One could very easily turn this idea into a "brothers of battle" army. Same with an Inquisitor's personal combat force, and likely many other groups I'm too lazy to give a **** about.

As for actual "male adepta sororitas", no. Unlike Marines this is actually very specifically restricted, even in the name of the organization-- "adeptus" is for male or combined gender organizations, while "adepta" is for female-only organizations. Similarly, the term "Sisters of Battle" is quite obviously all-female, while "Marines" would be gender-neutral. I refer to other posters for reasons this might be in the fluff.
    Last edited by Melissia; 11-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Technically, you can. Dark Heresy has a few examples of noble houses which have the resources for small forces of power armored units in their upper elite (usually themselves the children of nobility). One could very easily turn this idea into a "brothers of battle" army. Same with an Inquisitor's personal combat force, and likely many other groups I'm too lazy to give a **** about.

As for actual "male adepta sororitas", no. Unlike Marines this is actually very specifically restricted, even in the name of the organization-- "adeptus" is for male or combined gender organizations, while "adepta" is for female-only organizations. Similarly, the term "Sisters of Battle" is quite obviously all-female, while "Marines" would be gender-neutral. I refer to other posters for reasons this might be in the fluff.
    No Mel, I want Male Adepta Sororitas, and anyone who says I can't is a fluff ****.

LEAVE MY CREATIVITY ALONE!!!

Librarian

Well, this topic is spiraling into the level of bickering and trolling I used to only see on the CE board of gamefaqs.

In all honestly, it's just a ******* game, I don't know why people get so riled up and vehemently argue the background of a game that's rather vague as it is.

On a side note, anyone play the new 3.5 version of Firestorm Over Kronus for Dark Crusade? It's quite awesome, IMO.

You know, rather than saying what the fluff excludes, it strikes me as more useful to say what the fluff includes. You want the Ecclesiarchy to include a force of fanatical power armored men with access to the usual range of Ecclesiarchical vehicles and wargear? Fine. What are the issues that would arise in such a situation? The Decree Passive immediately springs to mind - how is that dealt with? Are these male soldiers the private army of a single ecclesiarch, whose violation of the Decree Passive has witch hunters and Sororitas hunting him down (but in the meantime, here he is on the tabletop)? Does it create a full-blown schism? The fluff doesn't prevent the Ecclesiarchy from having male soldiers. It just implies certain consequences.

We all play in our own pocket versions of the 40K universe. Ignoring fluff isn't about doing something that "can't" be done. Almost nothing is absolutely impossible in this universe. Ignoring fluff is about not treating the consequences of your additions seriously. If somebody told me that their background had a faction of the Ecclesiarchy flouting the Decree Passive to create "Brothers of Battle," and it created a painful and violent schism within the ranks of the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition, that's "following the fluff" in my book. Ignoring the fluff would be to have "Brothers of Battle" in your background and have nobody care.

And if you wanted to call your fanatical power armored male church soldiers "Sisters of Battle?" Well, ok ... though I think that's a rather silly thing to call a force of all-male soldiers.

Sci-fi fandom (heck, any fandom) is not defined by rigidly following the canon. It's defined by having an encyclopedic grasp of the canon, so that in the fan's own pocket version of the sci-fi universe one or more features may be created or altered with consequences consistent with the unaltered features.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 11-24-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Abbess Sanctorum

some crap
    You're just intentionally being a douchebag and you know it :P
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

I second that :P
    Melissia i think your the modern day Adepta Sororitas,full of inspirational comments, zeal and purity to the SoB armies

More woman should be like you

Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast