BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Katharon is right. Also the books describe lorgars appearance as most like his fathers. I hope the emperor isnt going to look that poor.
    This model just lacks any ooomph in my opinion.

I think its a great model. Lorgar is a priest and a scholar. Before his apotheosis he was considered to be one of the weakest primarchs in battle.

I'm kind of at a loss over why so many people think he should be animated in the same fashion as Angron or Fulgrim. Those models are clearly meant to be taking part in very specific battles.

If they tried that with Lorgar they'd have to model Corax gutting him like a fish.

That said, how can anyone hate on all of that beautiful detail crammed into one model? Because his bulky armor makes him look like he has a gut? I have less of a problem with that than I do a guy in full armor having a six pack.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I think its a great model. Lorgar is a priest and a scholar. Before his apotheosis he was considered to be one of the weakest primarchs in battle.

I'm kind of at a loss over why so many people think he should be animated in the same fashion as Angron or Fulgrim. Those models are clearly meant to be taking part in very specific battles.

If they tried that with Lorgar they'd have to model Corax gutting him like a fish.

That said, how can anyone hate on all of that beautiful detail crammed into one model? Because his bulky armor makes him look like he has a gut? I have less of a problem with that than I do a guy in full armor having a six pack.

His face looks like a craggy old man (how I imagine Kor Phaeron to look in fact) and his "detailed armor" is just a bunch of concentric circles and lines cut into the plastic -- nothing really fantastic in it. There's more awesome detail in a Sanguinary Guard model than that thing. If we're talking poses, then his classic pre-Heresy pose would be him striding forwards with his maul slung over his shoulder in a semi-lazy fashion -- not gripped in one hand and squint-eyed staring down something.

It's just lacking in what Lorgar should be represented as before his fall.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

"his "detailed armor" is just a bunch of concentric circles and lines cut into the plastic -- nothing really fantastic in it. There's more awesome detail in a Sanguinary Guard model than that thing."

Alright...lets just gloss over the fact that there isn't a single concentric circle on the model. I guess we can also ignore that this is resin and not plastic.

I can't really ignore that you've offered up a kit that's just had a handful of wing, nipple, and blood drop bits thrown at Mark 8 armor as the bench mark for sculpted detail.

I can sort of see where you're coming from with the facial sculpt criticism although I mainly believe that's because of the furrowed brow adding wrinkles. Other than that small detail the sculpt is very similar to the character art in HH Book Two.

This is easily among the top three most detailed suits of armor FW has put out to date. I think you're about as off base as a person can possibly be on this one sorry.

The pose stuff...well...you can have your opinion, but I think it's kind of weird that you're hating on it because he's holding his maul at his side instead of on his shoulder. Again, at the point in the story this model is representing, Lorgar is one of if not THE weakest Primarch in battle(his stats in Massacre even reflect this) and he actively avoided fighting during the Great Crusade in favor of winning hearts and minds. I think depicting him in a battle would be against character and the at ease pose will make the model stand out among his brothers on the shelf. Thats my opinion.

Brother-Captain

I can sort of see where you're coming from with the facial sculpt criticism although I mainly believe that's because of the furrowed brow adding wrinkles. Other than that small detail the sculpt is very similar to the character art in HH Book Two.
    You're kidding me, right? That isn't a furrowed brow causing all that wrinkling -- that's bad sculpt work/idea creation. He should have been smooth faced and young-looking, as he is described in First Heretic, as the Primarch who is closest in physical looks to the Emperor.

This is easily among the top three most detailed suits of armor FW has put out to date. I think you're about as off base as a person can possibly be on this one sorry.
    Sorry, but every other model from the Horus Heresy Character Series looks far better than this one. I won't even mention other models, like the Emperor's Children Terminators or the Deathshroud of the Death Guard.

The pose stuff...well...you can have your opinion, but I think it's kind of weird that you're hating on it because he's holding his maul at his side instead of on his shoulder.
    Fair enough, I will cede to you that the pose is a small thing to worry about.

Again, at the point in the story this model is representing, Lorgar is one of if not THE weakest Primarch in battle(his stats in Massacre even reflect this) and he actively avoided fighting during the Great Crusade in favor of winning hearts and minds. I think depicting him in a battle would be against character and the at ease pose will make the model stand out among his brothers on the shelf. Thats my opinion.
    Saying someone is one of, if not the most, weakest of Primarchs is kind of funny. That said, you need to go re-read the books. There has never been an occasion when the Word Bearers or Lorgar ever "actively" avoided fighting in order to "win hearts and minds." The cause of the slow pace of conquest of the Word Bearers was that on each world Lorgar would rebuild it upon the foundation of worshiping the Emperor as a god -- a process that takes time, as he is not just rebuilding broken cities but planting to seeds of faith. He is the penultimate warrior-priest among all his brother primarchs. If he had been depicted battling someone with a book in one hand and his mace in another, his mouth open in exhortation of the God-Emperor -- now that would be a model worthy of Lorgar. But yeah, that armor is just a really mauled Iron Mark 3 with lines marked into it.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I think it's great that you have an opinion man. If only mine didn't bother you so much...imagine the fun we'd have.

Seriously, if you want to get into an internet thumb war over aesthetics then I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I'm a big fan of Edgar Skomorowski's work for FW so far. His faces are...peculiar, but I believe he did that purposely to tie Lorgar as the genesire of the other models. For instance, his Mk III Praetor is modeled after the art on Pg 254 of Massacre. I don't know if you own it, but that's the beginning of the WB's army entry. That said, if you're a WB fan and this model doesn't match the vision in your head I can certainly understand a bit of initial frustration. As to the rest...

Did I say Lorgar was a *****? I don't think I did. Lorgar is a monster before and after his apotheosis. That doesn't mean Corax didn't put him down in an eyeblink. Corax would certainly not be solely capable of such a feat. All things being equal even demi-gods can have a pecking order.

It seems like you kind of thought I was calling Lorgar a coward. I was not. In my opinion, he's simply one of the most reflective and compassionate of the Primarchs. On par with Sanguinius. The main difference being that Lorgar accepted no limits in all aspects of his search for Truth with a capital T.

Brother-Captain

Did I say Lorgar was a *****? I don't think I did. Lorgar is a monster before and after his apotheosis. That doesn't mean Corax didn't put him down in an eyeblink. Corax would certainly not be solely capable of such a feat. All things being equal even demi-gods can have a pecking order.

It seems like you kind of thought I was calling Lorgar a coward. I was not. In my opinion, he's simply one of the most reflective and compassionate of the Primarchs.
    *You* said that he "actively avoided fighting." You said that. Not me.

The main difference being that Lorgar accepted no limits in all aspects of his search for Truth with a capital T.
    Lorgar never sought truth (or Truth). He sought divinity. When denied it by the Emperor, he was guided in another direction. Don't confuse divinity with truth or vice versa.

Veteran-Sergeant

Name:  togo.gif
Views: 219
Size:  976 Bytes
    Last edited by Lukas The Trickster; 12-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    When I was younger, they all laughed at me when I told them I wanted to be a comedian - they're not laughing now!

Veteran-Sergeant

Hardly a new primarch, rather an existing one.

If was a new one it would either be the lost or the damned (legions 2 and 11) and GW has already indicated that it will never happen.

Occuli Imperator

New as in Lorgar did not have model previously.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234