BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default SM Captain and power weapons

So this has always kinda bugged me about Space Marines of all flavours.

Why is this day and age of 40k do you still have to buy a power weapon for your Space Marine leader, who isn't a libby or Chappy. Now I know the SM codex has a termie captain and he comes with one for free but why not the leader of your company. Surely he would have power weapon at the very least. Now paying for an upgrade for a powerfist or relic blade obviously I get but for a measly power sword. How often do you see a commander without a power weapon?

Just a thought.

Chapter-Master

Because GW thinks Chainswords are the coolest thing ever. Or something.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

If chainswords had cool rules, then it'd be better.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Veteran-Sergeant

You could always purchase the Teeth of Terra. ..

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by ChacoStylez View Post
    You could always purchase the Teeth of Terra. ..
    That's what I did for my new Captain. I used the huge Chainsword the Gabriel Seth model comes with on the bionic arm from the Space Marine Commander sprue to model it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron
    Why is this day and age of 40k do you still have to buy a power weapon for your Space Marine leader, who isn't a libby or Chappy.
    Because it is easier point-wise to have a single Melee list to choose from whether you are a Captain or a Sergeant. (notice that the Libby and Chaplain can't buy from the Melee list)

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    So this has always kinda bugged me about Space Marines of all flavours.

Why is this day and age of 40k do you still have to buy a power weapon for your Space Marine leader, who isn't a libby or Chappy. Now I know the SM codex has a termie captain and he comes with one for free but why not the leader of your company. Surely he would have power weapon at the very least. Now paying for an upgrade for a powerfist or relic blade obviously I get but for a measly power sword. How often do you see a commander without a power weapon?

Just a thought.
    Or to look at it from another angle, you're basically asking why Space Marine Captains aren't 15pts cheaper? So you could in effect get your Power Sword for 'free'?

Not equipping him with a PW at the base level, with the subsequent price-hike of 15pts, means it gives us the opportunity to equip him how we see fit. Fair enough, I say.

Librarian

I dunno either to be honest i can never remember running a naked captain.... its just them being lazy i guess i mean even the models they make all come with power weapons of some sort. but who knows i know i for one would never use a chain sword as its rules are non existant its the same as a combat knife so for me its power weapon of some flavor always.

Themed campaign maybe? Where it's like the Space Marine video game, and your Captain has whatever fell out the back of the Thunderhawk when it was shot down?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

The fundamental problem is that there a lot of units that GW simply refuses to update to match the current edition. They assume that a ~100pt Captain is still worth it, even with such a mediocre statline and zero wargear, simply because they wrote the rules three or four editions ago and they assume it's still perfectly fine. As a result, we're stuck with a bunch of crappy, overpriced units that you only rarely see on the table.

The Chaplain is another good example. Chaplains do one thing well; buffing an assault unit charging out of a Land Raider. If that were still viable, then Chaplains would be pretty good. But Land Raiders are overpriced, most offensive assault units are not very good in this very shooty-based edition, and as a result almost no one plays Chaplains. Reroll to hit on the charge just isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Especially when you can take Coteaz with Prescience instead, or any other psyker with Divination access.

They did a good job of updating some SM units with the new codex. Chapter Masters are beasts on bikes with T5 and/or the Shield Eternal, especially now that you can move and shoot the orbital bombardment with Relentless. Techmarines got cheap enough that they're worth considering in certain lists, though they're still not particularly good normally, with the exception of the Thunderfire Cannon. But Land Raiders aren't worth 250pts, and haven't been for a while.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast