BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Drop Pod Scatters Off the Table?

Quick one: Can a Drop Pod scatter off the table? I believe the codex says that if the scatter roll placed the pod over/in impassable terrain, it adjusts the scatter distance to be at the edge of the Impassable terrain, or something along those lines. But what if the roll scatters the pod off the table? Is "Off the table" counted as Impassable terrain? Does the pod come in at the table edge closest to the scatter result, or suffer a deep strike mishap?

There's nothing that says the table edge is Impassable Terrain, so you suffer a mishap as normal.

Brother-Sergeant

According to BRB Pg 13: Impassable terrain cannot be moved across or into.

So, I can see where someone might define off the table as impassable terrain. I'm all for having to use the mishap table, but my group is arguing that basically, if you use a drop pod, it will always end up on the table. Just seems a little unbalanced to me.

well personally i wouldnt consider it impassible terrain, although you are not able to go into it, etc.. but if you WERE to consider off the table that.. then necron wraits would be complete *******s!! XD

so in all seriousness, i would roll on the mishap table.
    of course, its rare to even see that happen with a drop pod.. usually it stops due to intervening models, etc.

Impassable terrain is terrain that is actually on the table. Off the table is off the table and requires a roll on the mishap table. Pods are nice, but they don't guarantee not having a mishap.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arschbombe View Post
    Impassable terrain is terrain that is actually on the table. Off the table is off the table and requires a roll on the mishap table. Pods are nice, but they don't guarantee not having a mishap.
    He is correct.

If your pod goes off the table.... Its off to the mishap chart with ye!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Scout

Page 95 of the Rule Book

"Teleporting or dropping onto a crowded battlefield may prove extremely dangerous, as one may arrive miles
    away from the intended objective or even inside solid rock! If any of the models in a deep striking unit
    cannot be deployed because they would land off the table, in impassable terrain, on top of a friendly model,
    or on top or within 1" of an enemy model, something has gone wrong. The controlling player must roll on the
    deep strike Mishap table and apply the results."

So scattering off the table means a mishap.

Brother-Sergeant

BAM! Ok. I guess I could bust that out if there's an issue. We're all friends in the group and as long as it's not breaking the game for us, I won't try and be a rules lawyer. I was the new guy coming into the group, so if it's their house rules, I'm cool with it.

Thanks, for all the input fellas.

Yeah, I have been playing my BA the wrong way without realizing it and not letting them scatter off the table. One of my friends found a discusion about this just this week and now my good times are over. They simply insist on using the rules even though it didn't bother them before.

You may like to let them know. I would rather they not go off the table but I'm really happier now that I'm playing them right. It depends on your group so you be the judge, but usually when we play something wrong it because we don't know, not because its a house rule. If they say they already knew then just roll with it.

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah, I did let them know and they're cool with playing it however we want, just so long as it's defined at the beginning of the game. It really is a good group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast