BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Vanquisher Twin Linked?

Hope someone can help me out, recently I keep hearing that the cannon on the Vanquisher is twin linked if the coaxial storm bolter hits the target first. Saw this first on a battle report online and then keep seeing it pop up. I have looked through the codex, the latest FAQ , and three Imperial Armour books, Imperial Armour Vol 1 Second Edition, and Siege of Vraks I and III, but can't find any actual rule to support this. Does anyone know where the rule is? Or is this just wishful thinking that has caught on?

Battle-Brother

So, I just found it, on pretty much the very last page of Imperial Armour Vol I Second Edition. Never thought to look in the Apocalypse Appendix for rules on the Vanquisher. I guess it makes sense since most tanks with coaxial weapons are Apoc tanks.

Whether it still applies now that Co-axial is no longer in the main Apocalypse rulebook is anyone's guess. IA1e2 was written when the old version of Apocalypse was still in effect.

Also of note: buying a coaxial storm bolter or heavy stubber appears only to be an option for Vanquishers in the Armoured Company list, not a Codex IG list - looking at IA1e2, the entry for Leman Russ Squadrons on page 21 doesn't have the option.

The rules for it outside of Apocalypse can be found on pg 244 of IA1 2nd Ed, under the "Armoured Battlegroup rules". It is the first rule under the heading.

I think it is an option only available to Armoured Battlegroup forces unfortunately, although it is easy to ally a Battlegroup to your main IG force

Battle-Brother

Thanks Haighus, don't know why I kept passing over it, Houghten, you bring up a good point, non Apoc appears to be as part of the Battlegroup, so it looks like you would have to bring your tanks in as an allied force to get this.

Chaplain

If you have both an ABG and an infantry Guard army there really isn't any reason not to bring them as allies. Instead of including a Russ or two with the codex army take a Company Command tank and a squadron as an allied contingent. Even without taking any other special gear the ability to give the Concentrate Fire order to a squadron of Russes seriously increases their utility.

For added amusement take a Commissar tank as well. Park it with an infantry mob to give them Leadership 10. It can also take the coax Stubber and Beast Hunter shells if a Vanquisher or Infernus shells if a standard Russ to make the enemy sad while the infantry screens it.

And unlike many ally pairings this one makes sense according to the background as well. Guard armor and infantry are supposed to be in separate regiments by ancient decree.