BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default So what happened to all the Ork Rumours then???

I am a devoted and committed Ork player and I get the feeling that Orks are the poor ninth cousin fifteen times removed of all the other races in 40k. It's either some new unit of space marines, bloody nids or chaos and even blasted Dark Eldar... I am seriously concerned that when the new Ork codex comes out this year it will be weak, trite and pointless and even further nerfed and exponentially removed from the Orks of Ere We Go and Waaagh Da Orks and Freebooterz... are there any other Ork players out there who feel let down and ignored both in the over al nerfing of our Boyz and the reduced selection of models we can purchase from GW? It is only the likes of Kromlech, Spellcrow, Basicks and the like that are keeping the Orks interesting and grounded. Yes I know Forgeworld are making some great stuff but if the Ork Klans got the support and background (all of which is available from the early codices) then they could be blood brother allies with each other and have units of Mad Boyz and Storm Boyz and Odd Boyz that fit with the individual Klans and would have special Klan only abilities and vehicles. This would broaden both the range and the appeal of the Orks and take them back to their formative years when they were much more Orky than they seem to be now...
    Last edited by pseudodelic; 01-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.

First-Captain

is there any basis for your doom and gloom approach to the upcoming codex or are you just impatient?... the last three codices GW put out were all roughly on a comparable power level - and at the top of the scale at that... if and when Tyranids continue that trend, I´d assume GW have learned their lessons from the mediocre DA and Chaos and will continue to give us at least good stuff for all the races - and hey, you won´t even have to wait until seventh edition like CSM to get a new ´dex...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

We gots a Bommer last year, di'n't we?

Dunno wot yoo'z grumblin' about.

First-Captain

I complained when Orcs was updated for 5th in mind and Tau wasn't, man the tables have turned. Anyway thinking about it I think the last real 4th edition codex was Tau and than Orcs, Eldar, CSM, Daemons made 4.5 and Marines, Guard, Space Wolves roughly came next. I don't expect Grey Knights, Neurons and Dark Eldar any time soon due to them being 5.5 codecs with 6th in mind.

Thinking about the trend they seem to be following with updating the oldest material first in 6th the Orcs seem to be skipped over with Marines, Guard, and Nids. However CSM skipped over a few armies when they came out in 6th. Looking at the other codecs they been following the oldest first rule and marines would be an exception as well. I really wouldn't complain unless Space wolves and Blood angels come out before Orcs.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by pseudodelic View Post
    I am a devoted and committed Ork player and I get the feeling that Orks are the poor ninth cousin fifteen times removed of all the other races in 40k. It's either some new unit of space marines, bloody nids or chaos and even blasted Dark Eldar... I am seriously concerned that when the new Ork codex comes out this year it will be weak, trite and pointless and even further nerfed and exponentially removed from the Orks of Ere We Go and Waaagh Da Orks and Freebooterz... are there any other Ork players out there who feel let down and ignored both in the over al nerfing of our Boyz and the reduced selection of models we can purchase from GW? It is only the likes of Kromlech, Spellcrow, Basicks and the like that are keeping the Orks interesting and grounded. Yes I know Forgeworld are making some great stuff but if the Ork Klans got the support and background (all of which is available from the early codices) then they could be blood brother allies with each other and have units of mad Boyz and Storm Boyz and Odd Boyz that fit with the individual Klans and would have special Klan only abilities and vehicles. This would broaden both the range and the appeal of the Orks and take them back to their formative years when they were much more Orky than they seem to be now...
    Didn't notice the Dark Eldar comment. Dark Eldar was a 2nd edition codex that jumped to 5.5 with 6th edition in mind. Only other codecs that was worst off would be Dark Angels who was 2nd that jumped to 6th edition, they may had a 3rd update., or we can talk about witch hunters/ sisters of battle/ adapetas sororities, what ever. Sisters are the red headed step child. Looking at Orcs which last update was geared for 5th I don't see how you can complain since you are only one edition behind the curve.

Brother-Sergeant
    Catterick, North Yorkshire, and Birmingham

Thought there was chatter a while back about a joint release of Guard and Orks which was sometime in the spring!

I still believe that the Orks are under represented... they are rarely even mentioned. I know that GW is a Space Marine Centric organisation after all they are their baby. Rogue Trader was all space marines. However you look at the Ork codices from day one and they have been eroded. I would love to ally Orks with Orks with Klans being individually listed. I have been an Ork player in 40k since 1988 and I feel I have a good grasp of what GW have done to the Orks overall. I will be very surprised and delightedly so if the Orks' Codex is released this year closer to how they were in the early 90's in the three Ork "bibles" Waagh, Ere We Go and Freebooterz. Orks need that sort of depth again rather than the light and flimsy Orks we have in 5th edition and no I don't mean their lists I refer to their Orkishness and Kultur... I may be on my own here but like I said I have followed them since 1988 and feel that they have been denuded, degraded and defiled. I am not impatient I am just saddened that my Orks are just not how they used to be... Bring back Ork Kultur and a broad rounded deep and comprehensive background and history. This is a personal view but I will be surprised if I am the only Ork player who feels let down...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    is there any basis for your doom and gloom approach to the upcoming codex or are you just impatient?... the last three codices GW put out were all roughly on a comparable power level - and at the top of the scale at that... if and when Tyranids continue that trend, I´d assume GW have learned their lessons from the mediocre DA and Chaos and will continue to give us at least good stuff for all the races - and hey, you won´t even have to wait until seventh edition like CSM to get a new ´dex...
    What doom and gloom? I am bemoaning the loss of depth not the army lists per se... I expect the army list will improve but I doubt the orkishness will.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I complained when Orcs was updated for 5th in mind and Tau wasn't, man the tables have turned. Anyway thinking about it I think the last real 4th edition codex was Tau and than Orcs, Eldar, CSM, Daemons made 4.5 and Marines, Guard, Space Wolves roughly came next. I don't expect Grey Knights, Neurons and Dark Eldar any time soon due to them being 5.5 codecs with 6th in mind.

Thinking about the trend they seem to be following with updating the oldest material first in 6th the Orcs seem to be skipped over with Marines, Guard, and Nids. However CSM skipped over a few armies when they came out in 6th. Looking at the other codecs they been following the oldest first rule and marines would be an exception as well. I really wouldn't complain unless Space wolves and Blood angels come out before Orcs.
    I am not complaining about how long or timings it is more to do with substance and back story and depth of the NARRATIVE we are always being told to develop....

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    We gots a Bommer last year, di'n't we?

Dunno wot yoo'z grumblin' about.
    I am not complaining about equipment I am complaining more about narrative being matched by army list e.g. Bad Moons not allying with Death Skullz and Snakebites having Wild Boyz and Evil Sunz being speed freaks but Storm Boyz more inclined to being Blood Axes... and not just paint schemes ORK KULTUR....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast