BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Actually having just read through the rules and some other forum posts is it that template weapons have range "template" and it isn't given in inches for this reason. So even if a unit with just flamers could only hit 5 guys but caused 20 wounds the wounds would be applied to the whole unit as they were in range when the unit fired and there is no maximum range for the flamer. That right?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Everyone gets to shoot out to 24", and the models in 12" get an extra shot. It's as simple as that.
    I reread the rules a few times last night, and I agree now. Guess I still had the rapid fire/move mentality from the last version.

Quote Originally Posted by mocapman View Post
    template weapons have range "template" and it isn't given in inches for this reason. So even if a unit with just flamers could only hit 5 guys but caused 20 wounds the wounds would be applied to the whole unit as they were in range when the unit fired and there is no maximum range for the flamer.
    I have seen arguments back and forth on this. This is usually a theory fight since almost all template based units (multiple templates) have someone in that unit shooting a 12" gun, which expands the killing range. The units I can think of off the top of my brain.
    Burna boys
    Pyrovores (really imaginary problem here)

Must be an all template shooting unit and then there must be multiple templates, the general feeling is the template itself defines the range (roughly 7 inches). I personally feel stronger towards this view of template handling.
    note: templates get slightly different rules in ruins.

Chapter-Master

The template defines the range, but if there are any other weapons that have a longer range, you use that. A single, say, bolter is the difference between clipping one or two guys with a flamer, and being able to inflict wounds on the entire unit. Same thing with all shooting. In order to fire, the weapon has to be in range itself, but as long as it is in range, you can kill any model that is in range of any weapon in the firing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mathhammer View Post
    I reread the rules a few times last night, and I agree now. Guess I still had the rapid fire/move mentality from the last version.
    That's actually how they worked last edition, too. The only difference was that if you moved, you didn't get the full range shot, but you could still sit still and have some guys shoot twice and some shoot once.

People get confused by saying stuff like "I'm going to rapid fire you", I think. Makes it sound like you have to actively make a choice to halve your range but double your shots, when in actuality that's something that just happens. You'e always rapid firing, even when you're shooting once at full range.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 01-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Thanks DarkLink. That has cleared it up. Good explanation for the rapid firing too!

Banned

Actually, the FAQ does not reference the range of the weapons at all, just the attack, and a Rapid Fire's 'Double Tap' Attack cannot be used outside half the weapon's range.

Brother-Captain

As an aside, Shuriken Cannons have 24" range, not 36".

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    As an aside, Shuriken Cannons have 24" range, not 36".
    Yeah, my bad there

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Actually, the FAQ does not reference the range of the weapons at all, just the attack, and a Rapid Fire's 'Double Tap' Attack cannot be used outside half the weapon's range.
    Go back an reread the rule book section on Rapid Fire. There's no such thing as a 'Double Tap attack', the weapon type rapid fire merely fires a second shot at half its listed range.

Chapter-Master

That's exactly the confusion that I mentioned in my last post. There is, and I don't think there ever has been (at least, not since at least 2nd or 3rd ed anyways) any "double tap" or "rapid fire" mode. A rapid fire weapon has one mode. That one mode, which you're always in, always gives you 2 shots at half range, and one shot at full range. The closest there has ever been to a 'rapid fire mode' is that you could only shoot to 12" when you moved last edition, so you would never get the one shot range if you moved. But you have never had to decide whether or not you're going to 'rapid fire'. You're always rapid firing. The only question was whether or not you moved, previously, but now even that doesn't matter.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast