BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 64 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by HERO View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I'm very unhappy with this codex. They made stuff cheaper, but barely touched any of the fundamental issues of the design of the race itself. It's almost as if the designers purposely don't give what their players want. That's just ****ed up.

If you remember, I hated the eldar codex as well. Even though it was written by Kelly, he's been failing us hard lately. Why make one unit so strong that it just reshapes the meta and dominates the entire book? The wave serpent. The heldrake.

And then there's just books like the Tau and the fact it outright ignores game rules.

I'm going to take a break from GW I think. They're so god damn hit and miss it's mind boggling. They would do so much better with a balance designer or community manager that knows what the majority of the community wants instead of just letting their designers freestyle. Also, I'm pretty sure they have no play testers at all or hire the biggest idiots on the planet. No min maxer player would ever think the few things I mentioned were OK.
    To be fair, my initial reaction to the codex spurred me to write a detailed e-mail to GW on how they should hire me or someone who actually knows what they are doing to handle their rules development or play testing, and it had nothing to do with over-powered or under-powered stuff, but legitimately broken stuff. I didn't send it in, but really, if they want to stop getting massive back-lash with every release for badly designed rules, they need to start hiring people who actually know what they are doing.

I mean, I'm willing to make a bet with them that if I could write the Tyranid codex, it would sell more, it would get far better reviews for internal and external balance, it would have simple rules that made sense, and every unit would be viable. And best of all, that would all happen without making it over-powered. Oh, and I would add in new units that actually make sense, not extensions of the same role we ALREADY FULFILLED!!!

But I guess that's we have to live with if we want to have such amazing models. Thankfully, the Haruspex/Crone are decent enough to justify their cool models, while the Harpy and Exocrine are more than good enough to justify theirs. Considering the Harpy was my favourite model in the release anyway, it's no issue for me at all. I just have to wait a fortnight to even pick up one of them
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

I think a lot of you should slow down on the doom and gloom. It isn't even released yet.. I think it looks silly when people are going as far as "quitting the game" or calling this a failure when it hasn't even released yet. Give it a chance at least.. you look a lot less silly when the sky doesn't end up falling.
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by iNcontroL View Post
    I think a lot of you should slow down on the doom and gloom. It isn't even released yet.. I think it looks silly when people are going as far as "quitting the game" or calling this a failure when it hasn't even released yet. Give it a chance at least.. you look a lot less silly when the sky doesn't end up falling.
    There is nothing wrong or shameful about constructing a working hypothesis based on the information available, provided of course you are willing to change that hypothesis as new information arrives. Its a core tenant of any scientific study and considering at its heart 40k is an exercise in probabilities and the application thereof then the formation of hypotheses is a perfectly valid response to information.

What irks me isn't so much the codex its the ridiculous little quips people make about things like "we don't know this or that" We do know most of the book, and we definitely know more than enough to form a solid working hypothesis, the argument that we don't is ridiculous, childish, unscientific and just plain trolling in most cases.
    On another note, been jiggling with the lists a little, we definately want to go with corpses before toys on the little guys, and the big guys get Adglands max really

Really want to try sky slashers, might pick up the FW bundle its an awesome deal and I LOVE how the winged rippers look
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-10-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by iNcontroL View Post
    No one's quitting the game, just taking a break to play one of my five or so game systems. GW not care about their fan base or know how to write rules that make sense, but other gaming companies do. Miniatures gaming is a luxury that takes time and resources. I have to choose carefully what I do with it.

As for the book itself, not my cup of tea. I find it to be uninspired and hastily/ poorly executed. The design is quite lackluster with all things considered and point drops will not rectify this core problem. That's just my preference.

Typing from phone
    Last edited by HERO; 01-10-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    HERO's Gaming Blog

woops my bad.. daboarder has been consistently negative I forgot it was in the name of SCIENCE. Carry on! I'm excited and I have read/seen some pretty cool ideas circling around. Also like, numbers and empirically proven stuff.. ermm theories and what not! Am I correct yet? Can I haz win.
    Member of team Zer0Comp and the website www.frontlinegaming.org

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Not that hard to understand, dude. First the previous codex came out, and it was pretty crappy and pissed a lot of players off. Then, they kept FAQ'ing nerf after nerf into the codex, even when there were no rules conflicts to FAQ (WTF couldn't a Prime join Warriors in a pod). Then 6th edition came around and mostly hurt them, with the only bright star being Biomancy.

And now the new codex is coming out, and virtually everything, with very few exceptions, is a nerf? After years of being treated like crap, of waiting for a new codex that would fix the fundamental problems with the army, the new codex... doesn't. It shuffles around stuff a bit, and it does have some new toys and a few buffs here and there, so nids might get a little better overall, but you don't seriously expect people to be happy about that, do you?
    Darklink speaks much widsom
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

ive been following along with this thread, and the one big glaring thing about the codex to me is the total lack on nid MC's of some type of invulnerable save. i mean SM's got a new weapon that will totally wreck MC's and we didn't get any type of counter. that right there is a total laziness on the designers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fedratsailor View Post
    ive been following along with this thread, and the one big glaring thing about the codex to me is the total lack on nid MC's of some type of invulnerable save. i mean SM's got a new weapon that will totally wreck MC's and we didn't get any type of counter. that right there is a total laziness on the designers to me.
    We've even seemed to have lost our Armored Shell for Hive Tyrants, so the Tyrannofex seems to be our only armor 2, unless I am not remembering some other MC with a 2+.

Edit: I wonder what happened with so many of the good rumors, like the psychic shield upgrade, that gave a 4++ for hive tyrants and junk. Even things like skyfire was pretty much promised, and then we get a look at the stuff, and nope, we don't have it. GW didn't think about this codex, they just hashed it together, and thought we'd be glad about points reductions and a thousand nerfs, that we wouldn't realize they still didn't fix our biggest issues that render tyranids nearly unplayable. And having a mono-build list isn't fun, isn't interesting in the least, having a high percentage of our models unplayable is just terrible balancing. While I may not have the book in hand, I've seen enough to know, everything that Tyranids are, has been nerfed, and then again nerfed, with another side of nerf with that.
    Last edited by kublade; 01-10-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Yep hive tyrants lost access to armoured shell.... besides carnifexes and flyrants who can now easily ID a wraithknight/riptide without a sweat with LW+BS I dnt rly know what gt better...raveners remained the same ebut they actually look like must takes in this ed (probably cos of all the nerfs, duh) zoans are basically must takes as theyre now our best survivable synapse relayfr the gants with their 3+save tho can still be ID'd by 1 s8 blast...still better than warriors...tervigons have been nerfed so badly and went up in points and their gants cant mve or shoot after being spawned so they cant move 12" and take an objective and if a tervi dies gant units within 12" not6" get hurt, so not an option anymore...I can see a list of:

2flyrants:t.sacs, LW+BS,ele troshock grubs (thorax upgrade, template has haywire fr tanks) each and 1 has regen (warlord)240pts and 270pts respectively.
    X3 units of 10 hormagants, 1 has t.sacs so 50, 50 and 80pts.
    X3 units of termagants, 40pts each.
    X3 zoanthropes with primaris as extrapower to babysit objective holding gants.
    X2zoanthropes, same as above.
    X2 Lictors, distraction unit next to broadsides turn 2.
    X4 raveners all with rending claws, beasts, rending, you know-140pts plus red terror fr a potantial draigo squad-85pts.
    Harpy, with H.Venom cannon, always used it last ed and nw without -1on vehicle damage table almost a must take, S9 blast ap4?? MUST TAKE.-140pts.
    Crone, anti AA-155pts
    Exocrine, had 170pts extra, what else better than a 6 shot s7 ap2 or blast ap2 24" fr a nid flying and beasty army.
    Any thoughts?? My opinion after calming down after my disappointment at 1st is, keep stuff cheap (except ur flyrants) and en masse with loads of distractionsand u can either go slow and purposeful with fex's, haruspex, s walking tyrants, tervigons and thropes which wud be just as good, or u can go rly fast with winged and raveners and "long ranged shooting".

When it comes to our troops choices, forget what you did for the past 4years, forget 5th edition where u put a tervigon on an objective and stayed there while everythibg else does the dirty work...go back to 3rd and 4th ed and imagine just a huge amount of gants and gaunts as ur only viable option for objectives...make lots of small units and make all ur other points go to scary units so ur opponent wud waste a pie plate on ur MC'S and not ur 1pieplate =death en masse to ur gants, oh and use dominion to ur advantage, think of zoanthropes as ur babysitters not ur anti tank anymore.

Page 64 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast