BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 66 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

For people still worrying about synapse.... mc's dont need it much.

Harpy is fearless so any rolls of 1-3 count as a 4-5. It can still move normally so can vector strike or drop a spore mine. It just has to shoot at the closest enemy unit... and has a 1/6 chance to get preferred enemy.

Crone is fearless but has feed(think they mixed that and the harpy up) and because it is on its own it can never suffer a result of 1-3. It can move normally and still vector strike but cannot shoot and must declare a charge against the nearest enemy unit which it cannot do if it is swooping.

Exocrine has hunt and fearless so is the same as the harpy.

There are only a few units which would suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Powell View Post
    For people still worrying about synapse.... mc's dont need it much.

Harpy is fearless so any rolls of 1-3 count as a 4-5. It can still move normally so can vector strike or drop a spore mine. It just has to shoot at the closest enemy unit... and has a 1/6 chance to get preferred enemy.

Crone is fearless but has feed(think they mixed that and the harpy up) and because it is on its own it can never suffer a result of 1-3. It can move normally and still vector strike but cannot shoot and must declare a charge against the nearest enemy unit which it cannot do if it is swooping.

Exocrine has hunt and fearless so is the same as the harpy.

There are only a few units which would suffer
    This interests me if there is a list of nids who generally won't suffer from lack of synapse I can focus on taking what I want to rather than spending valuable slots (zoans) or points (warriors) on babysitters. Since it sounds like Tervigons are total gob***** this ed though my two can stay back in favour of something else perhaps.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by OdBoX View Post
    Don't forget on hive guard, strength 8, ignores line of sight, toughness 6 and 2 wounds per model.
    Plonk them behind impassable terrain or the like and let them shoot right through it.

They could have been better but that's some of the best shooting we have in the codex from my understanding.
    They're the same as they used to be... but 5pts more expensive... and dropped from BS4 to BS3.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    He's only a character NOT and IC they are two different things
    I'll be the first to admit I'm reaching to try to think of something new to try with the codex

that said, I thought this too at first but I did read several places (Blood of Kittens I can think off the top of my head) that he's an IC not just a character. This would also make sense because of his Mind Eater Warlord trait which requires him to be able to challenge. I suppose characters not just IC could also challenge, I think? I'm so used to only having the Prime as a character (that I never took) I don't even know the rule haha.

Chapter-Master

Daboarder's right. There's a difference between character and IC, but both can challenge.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

HAHA oh god, funny, have a look on the net, most of the harpy conversions are just as good as the tervigon ones.
    Hahaha! Funny. Because there are like 5 Harpy conversions...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    I'm happy with this release, actually. Maybe I'm just an optimist but I can see a lot of units being more worthwhile than first thought. It's just going to take a while to get adjusted to the fact that they didn't fix a lot of the issues that should have been fixed, and this isn't the total revamp we all wanted. However, when you view the codex as what it is - an expansion on the 5E book - then it isn't actually that bad. There is a lot of stupid stuff, but also a lot of very nice stuff. I know most are dissatisfied but I think I'm going to enjoy this codex.
    From what I have seen so far, there really is no reason to complain.
    The over the top cheese that was in the Bug codex is gone: aka biomancy, and re-rolls upon re-rolls upon re-rolls.

They cleaned up a lot of rules, and many many many units got better. Hands down, Adrenal Glands are over 9000. Fleet + Furious Charge? Shrikes are faster than ever now! That's a 12" move +2D6 re-rolling individual dice! Carnifexes moving 6"+2D6 with re-rolls! That's insane.

What's changed is that there is a mixup of what is good. Additionally, they have added some *very* nice weapons to the pile of weapons.

Chapter-Master

Cluster spines and stinger salvo's may no longer be fired in addition to other weapons, GOODBYE 3 TEMPLATE TFEX! you could have maybe been cool this time, but oh well.

HAHAHA they still didn't fix MC death spitters.....hahaha
    uh, silly person. You couldn't do this in 5th Edition. You are thinking of the Thorax Swarm.

Deep breaths.....in....and.....out.....

Remind self we're not on Dakka or Whineseer....

In....and....out.....

And back to civilised conversation.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I read the dakka thread, and there were a lot of idiots on it. And, no offense to Tynskel, a lot of them were innane "hah, all you whiners are just butthurt waac players anyways, I'm gonna have fun with my [insert terrible unit that they inexplicably think is the newest mostest powerfullest evar]".

I did find this, though:

Marrak wrote:
    Okay...

Now I've been bordering the edge of optimism and indifference to this whole matter, and taking in comments and info as it's come along and tried to keep that stiff upper lip and hopes that finally, after a very long time, I'd have a codex for the army that I've been collecting since 2nd edition and be able to field some of those iconic units that have always looked great and had a tremendously awesome background alongside new units that fill in niches that we did not have before, or may fulfill some specific role that would be fun to play with but not see every game.

Mostly though, I wanted to have a codex that allowed me to have a series of viable units so I could play an army that was not overpowered, simply competitive.

For those of you who do not understand, I don't want to have a 99% win ratio, where the last 1% is simply because I rolled 1s all game. I want to have a ratio where I can place down an army, look across the table, and not immediately start to keep my trays open to start placing models back in. Give me an assault army from hell, give me a shooting army that has unique rules that are alien and strange (cause we fire living ammunition for crying out loud...) that may not be able to punch through marine armor, but has a weight of fire that makes them keep their heads down. Give me MCs that actually act like they're supposed to, not something that can reliably be shot to death by small arms fire while other armies light transports can effectively ignore 90% of mine.

Just give me something I can keep pace with, not something where I have the odds so hopelessly stacked against me that I am required to hope for a miracle.

This is not WAAC, this is simply hoping that a codex should be equal, in some fashion, to its peers. A narrative can tell one story, but in the end forging a narrative does not mean that I wanted to play the extras who are gunned down by the heroes each and every time. It's a wargame, and I should hope to have an equal chance to win. Casual gaming is not incompatible with competitive rules, nor should it be. I have played casual games of Warmachine with Competitive tournament players and did not lament the horrifying way they belittled me and made me cry... because they did not act in that fashion. I have sat in a tournament setting and joked and laughed with my opponent in each turn. Competitive gaming is not some horrifying monstrosity that kills fun; bad players kill fun, and you can find them in casual circuits and competitive ones. Calling a game "beer and pretzels" does not make it immune to jerks, nor should that be the mentality or excuse for not balancing out rules and options for an army that is as iconic as Space Marines in the setting.

Some changes that I have seen are flat out flabbergasting, such as to Hive Guard and the range on the Exocrine. The lengths that people have had to forge ways of utilizing these units just for them to do their specified role (according to what we know) show that there is an inherent problem because that implies they cannot fulfill their role without a specific set of criteria. Imagine if Devastators could only work if there were 2 squads of tactical marines exactly within 6" of them, or if Riptides required 14 (not 13, not 15) models to be within a specific minimum and maximum distance before it could utilize its options.

Yes, these are exaggerations, but at the same time that seems to be the approach to Tyranids for the better part of a decade now. Worse is when people tell the players of the army to simply accept it as fact, or that we're not playing to our strengths. It's hard to play to your strengths when those very things are hard-countered by rules and armies that are, for the most part, not exactly uncommon nowadays.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 01-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 66 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast