BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

is no one going to talk about how scything talons got nerfed to the ground?? the trygon is a lot worse now than before because of it(no re-roll to hit anymore)

I do however like that they put deathleaper as a HQ, he has alwasy been one of my favorite units and now I don't have to use an Elite slot for him!

But then again.... WHERE IS MY DOOOOOOOOOM??? I will miss that little irritating *******. I guess he didn't survive the nerf hammer...

Brother-Captain

Things are cheaper, some of my stuff is better, so as long as I mostly use the same stuff as before plus maybe a couple of the new models I'm fine, but most of the stuff that I wanted to be able to use now (such as Genestealers, Warriors, Pyrovores and Tyrannofexes) still aren't useful. Oh, and what's up with the massive increase in cost for the Tyranid Prime? Did I miss something? Were they declared underpriced by everyone?

Lictors are an odd one. Infiltrating homing beacon has a fair few applications with Tyranids, but they're still pretty squishy in close combat so aren't quite the terrors you would hope. They're much better than before though, it's amazing what the simple addition of Infiltrate has opened up for them.

Like I say, pretty much everything that was decent before is still decent, a couple of things are better, a couple of things got random little nerfs for no apparent reason (Hive Guard losing a point of BS and Scything Talons being nerfed come to mind), and some things are still somewhere betweent meh and rubbish (sadly Genestealers are one of them). It's better than the previous codex, I'll make that very clear, but still seems pretty half-arsed job. The whole 'design team' idea shows, because the quality fluctuates so randomly from really good and clever to really poor and random it seems as if they put each person in separate rooms with allocated things to write about and didn't let them talk to each other and critique each others ideas.

I'm still going to have fun with a fair few of my models, it's just sad that so many of them are still not useful and some got worse for no reason.

Oh, also Hive/Tyrant Guard are even bigger now and still don't have 3 wounds like they clearly should. I'd gladly pay more points, I just want the rules to properly reflect the models. I also think they missed an opportunity to make the Haruspex really unique and representing its maw by letting it place some kind of Initative or opposed-Strength test based small blast in base contact with it in close combat to represent it trying to nom down a bunch of dudes.
    Last edited by Anggul; 01-11-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VBthesmall View Post
    WHERE IS MY DOOOOOOOOOM??? I will miss that little irritating *******. I guess he didn't survive the nerf hammer...
    The business model is so different now i don't think it's appropriate to talk about nerfs or bans. I would bet that Doom will show up in a data slate or hive fleet sub codex. All we are really getting is the foundation, the nick nacks and do dads will be dribbled out to us in the coming months and years.

Now to start with a nice Kill Team of warriors and gaunts.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

We've had 2 characters.
    The supplements are more about slight tweeks to the way the main armies play and the formations apart from the tau one are only really an even slighter tweek.

There is no evidence yet to suggest that GW is going full steam ahead with DLC. Its much more likely that they merely approached the nid codex with the same attitude they did the 5th ed one
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I think the worst part is something most people expected - nerfing the Tervigon. I just couldn't imagine how far they would go into making it god awful. Not only did it get more expensive, but it lost out in every single aspect of its rules:

-Fewer psychic power rolls, this went from having up to 3 powers to only ever getting 1
    -Worse powers, now that it can't choose Catalyst and has to hope it rolls a 1
    -The loss of Biomancy, coupled with making crushing claws entirely pointless, means the Terv is no longer even close to the amazing close combat monster it was, getting it stuck in will mean death now.
    -It no longer helps nearby gaunts. Let me ****ing say that again, louder: IT NO LONGER HELPS NEARBY GAUNTS. No more cheap furious charge and poison and Ld10 counter charge, it now gives nothing but counter charge on the gaunts native Ld of 6.
    -Since it no longer helps them, it should no longer hurt them when it dies, right? WRONG! They doubled the radius of it's death feedback! Say goodbye to any unit of gaunts within 12" when it goes down. It's like walking a bomb around in the middle of your army... that can only hurt you.
    -And just in case you thought spawned gaunts even had a chance to get away from this god damn holy hand grenade, NOPE! They can no longer move or assault the turn they are spawned, just sit there and wait to either get shot or have their brains fried by their own mother.
    -And cluster spines are no longer free, because **** you.

All this AND it got more expensive? **** you, GW. You knew everyone and their mothers already had tons of Tervigons, so you wanted to make them **** so people would buy new models. This is worse of a raping than carnifexes took going from 4th to 5th. I'm just glad I magnetized mine so I can try out slightly cheaper T-fexes.
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

forget comparison it won't work with my list since spore and ymgarl are out of the codex, OOOOooo gaunts are 1 pt cheaper but biomorph is more pts so no save in pts and really no access to any other psy powers.......

Its kind of late where i am so i dont have time for a lengthy post... but i will say this to those of you that have the new Codex at hand.

Think how important it was in the previous book for Tyranids to disrupt and threaten the enemy backfield... via spores... ymgarls... whatever.

Ok?

Now take a look at that teeny tiny 2point upgrade available to the troop choice option in the book that is a mere 39 points....

Then calculate what they could do if spammed, given spinefists and rained on enemy infantry gunlines or gunbunkers (centurions or anything with wounds).

Goodnight

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

likely eat themselves
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by VBthesmall View Post
    is no one going to talk about how scything talons got nerfed to the ground?? the trygon is a lot worse now than before because of it(no re-roll to hit anymore)

I do however like that they put deathleaper as a HQ, he has alwasy been one of my favorite units and now I don't have to use an Elite slot for him!

But then again.... WHERE IS MY DOOOOOOOOOM??? I will miss that little irritating *******. I guess he didn't survive the nerf hammer...
    Scything talons was the biggest hit to me, as most of my army was based around these re-roll weapons of doom! I feel like I wasted magnets into my scything talons now. I would usually run a Hive Tyrant, with dual scything talons, Adrenal, toxin, regen, and armored shell. He could walk around, destroy everything in his path, soak up hits, and be even better with his psyker BRB powers, but now, no re-rolls to hit, no +2 armor, no books powers, losing Iron arm, Enfeeble, Endurance hurts bad, as those were good for surviving, or enfeeble to combo in smash and ID any T6 model. The Hive Tyrant is now a weak HQ in my opinion, he got cheaper base, but now pays more for weapons that will actually do something, loss of an upgrade for a 2+. I'd rather go 5th Ed for this model.

I like deathleaper, fluff wise, and model wise. But rules wise, he's received a round of nerfs and two buffs. He no longer rends on any 5s or 6s. Only on 6 in close combat. He is now an HQ slot, which seems like a waste, sure Elites was over-crowded, but that doesn't mean make something that is clearly an Elite option, fill a slot he is not meant to fill. It's nice he can only be hit on snap shots, but in some cases, it won't make him survivable, with only 3 wounds, and toughness 4.

I always hated Tervigons, I got 2 of them in a really nice deal for a whole lot of tyranids, but I rarely used more than one. They were a crutch really, it was a very good, if not over powered model. However, it received increase in points, a huge decrease in effectiveness. You're better off leaving this on the shelf now. Like I said, I hated them, but they got nerfed to death, instead of balanced.

The myscetic spore loss was extremely insulting to me, as I just finished making one in late November. Why would they take away such an important, and iconic model? How do our models arrive to the battlefield now? We just land our huge bio-ships and drop off the swarm?

Things we always got free, now cost points. Thorax swarms for tyrannofex, stinger salvo, etc. Yes, we got point reductions, but now all our options that used to be free cost a crap ton.

Tyranid Prime has been referenced several times thus far, how did a 110-120 something model with all upgrades, go to about 180 points? The Prime is not over powered, he has never been complained about, he was not unbalanced, he was just a normal HQ unit, that got nerfed into the ground point wise.

Trygon Prime is 10 points less, but after adding in his bio-morph increase, he's 10 points costlier, which is quite lame, considering he is no where near as good in close combat as before, we no re-rolls on scything talons, so base wise, he has lost a good deal of effectiveness, with just the major nerf to scything talons.

This is kind of became a rant, but I fully stand by the fact that I was much happier with 5th edition, rather than this new Tyranid Nerf Edition.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    likely eat themselves
    But they wouldn't have to test on their first turn, would they?

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidz View Post
    That is the other beast of this codex, IB is going to kill us hard. So you need to pay the synapse tax and make sure you have enough.
    That's why we got more synapse enhancing options now. Which reminds me, what comes first, blessing or testing for instinctive behavior?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast