BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tyranid Harpy and Skyfire Rule

So going over the new rules I think I have most answers figured out except one.

Harpy is a FMC and can choose to use sky fire rule when swooping but,... his shooty weapons are all blast markers.

Can the Harpy still fire at a Flyer with the strangle thorn cannon or the heavy venom cannon or it their only option the fly over physical attack thing?

Thanks and looking forward to playing my Nids!

GK

Quote Originally Posted by GameKnight View Post
    So going over the new rules I think I have most answers figured out except one.

Harpy is a FMC and can choose to use sky fire rule when swooping but,... his shooty weapons are all blast markers.

Can the Harpy still fire at a Flyer with the strangle thorn cannon or the heavy venom cannon or it their only option the fly over physical attack thing?

Thanks and looking forward to playing my Nids!

GK
    The Harpy can take Stinger Salvo, that he can use to defend itself from flyers but, if you're worried about air dominance... use the Crone.

Quote Originally Posted by Broodingman87 View Post
    The Harpy can take Stinger Salvo, that he can use to defend itself from flyers but, if you're worried about air dominance... use the Crone.
    Thanks for the answer. That's what i figured and that's what i set it up as.

Thanks again.

While I'm not sure what Stinger Salvo's strength/AP or range is, using the Crone's Vector Strike as anti-flyer defense may or may not be very useful. They can only move 24", not 36", so it'll be a real chess game, and an uphill one at that.

Vector Striking with a Helldrake is much easier...remember you have to pass over the enemy flyer and have the base still be 1" away from the enemy's base.

Nids will have better times grounding FMCs with all their masses of Gaunt fire and Flyrant devourers ( the latter of which are good decent anti-air in general). I think they will have a rough time vs Necrons, just like most everyone does, until the Crons get a new Codex and they nerf some stuff or raise points cost.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    While I'm not sure what Stinger Salvo's strength/AP or range is, using the Crone's Vector Strike as anti-flyer defense may or may not be very useful. They can only move 24", not 36", so it'll be a real chess game, and an uphill one at that.

Vector Striking with a Helldrake is much easier...remember you have to pass over the enemy flyer and have the base still be 1" away from the enemy's base.

Nids will have better times grounding FMCs with all their masses of Gaunt fire and Flyrant devourers ( the latter of which are good decent anti-air in general). I think they will have a rough time vs Necrons, just like most everyone does, until the Crons get a new Codex and they nerf some stuff or raise points cost.
    Use the Tentaclids. 2 shots, re-roll to hit, Haywire. Str 5, so if you just get 'behind' the enemy flyer, aka just be in rear arc, you might be able to get pens there, too.

Flying Monstrous Creatures can shoot 360. So you just need to position. If you get in the rear arc, you have a really good chance of doing 2 hull points of damage. That's enough to shoot down ~90% of flyers.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Use the Tentaclids. 2 shots, re-roll to hit, Haywire. Str 5, so if you just get 'behind' the enemy flyer, aka just be in rear arc, you might be able to get pens there, too.

Flying Monstrous Creatures can shoot 360. So you just need to position. If you get in the rear arc, you have a really good chance of doing 2 hull points of damage. That's enough to shoot down ~90% of flyers.

Haywire doesn't need to penetrate a vehicle, it gets the effect just by hitting it. So there's a very good chance of hurting any Flyer no matter what the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Haywire doesn't need to penetrate a vehicle, it gets the effect just by hitting it. So there's a very good chance of hurting any Flyer no matter what the arc.
    plus as haywire pens on a 6, he has just a likely chance of penning on rear armor because of strength and of the haywire rule.

Edit: you probably were talking about this, but i thought i'd spell it out.
    Last edited by Asuryan; 01-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Yeah, all I am really trying to say is by getting behind to a Armor 10 spot means that 2 shots at re-roll to hit, with Str 5 and Haywire = really really good chance that flyer is dead.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you don't roll to pen at all with haywire tynskel
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Of course you roll to pen with Haywire... 2-5 = Glance, 6 = Penetrating hit.

Unless you consider that as "not rolling to penetrate" because you roll for an effect instead. Seems rather nitpicking the words, though, considering it's the same effect.

Tynskel: BRB, p37: "When a weapon with this special rule
    hits a vehicle, roll a D6 to determine
    the effect rather than rolling Armour
    Penetration normallv:"

It replaces the S5 hit, it's not an additional hit. So you don't get to roll for a S5 hit and also the Haywire effect.
    Last edited by Sly; 01-15-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast