BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    For the life of me I 100% don't understand the Mawloc's new deepstriking rules. Why couldn't they have just kept it the same expect added "Ignore Cover". I would have been over the moon with that. It makes no sense AT ALL that he gets two blasts...then mishaps if he can't be placed. Why? Why would he get two blasts for bursting out of the ground?

Tysnkel also isn't making a lot of sense. It really feels like he is thinking of last editions Mawloc which was a great distraction and it just burst up through the ground, pushing stuff around and being a genuine pain in the butt. Now with the mishap half the time it's a non issue as you are either placed to be destroyed, placed to be irrelevant or just flat out dead. That is one of my major issues with this book. Quite a few things were reduced in points, which is great (and was needed) while everything also had a "...but" added to it. So my Trygon for example went down 10pts...but...his stupid tunnel is still stupid and he no longer re-rolls to hit in close combat. Everything in the book is this way. Drives me nuts.
    Half the time? On you on math crack?
    you wound most things on a 2+, ignores cover, with AP2? If you don't kill it, you PLACE THE MARKER AGAIN! You do it again!! Then you can place the mawloc, even if there are models withing 1"!!

Half the time? WHat are you attacking, tanks?
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    well thank you for telling me I have no idea about an army I've been collecting to 10 years...I'll take that into account. oh and thats a stupid idea, one that is not supported in the fluff and has only been used as an excuse for the last......11 days.

moving along, you like your disposable MC thats all well and good but Id rather make the enemy work for the kill than just give it to them.
    unsupported by fluff? eh? considering half the bug stories are about bugs being blown up... hmmmmm... Someone should read the fluff portion of their codex...

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Half the time? On you on math crack?
    you wound most things on a 2+, ignores cover, with AP2? If you don't kill it, you PLACE THE MARKER AGAIN! You do it again!! Then you can place the mawloc, even if there are models withing 1"!!

Half the time? WHat are you attacking, tanks?
    I am talking about when you actually mishap, not wounding and doing actual damage (which is obviously way up from the previous edition). Plus now all it takes is being near a tank, a multi wound model that isnt T3, rolling a single "1" on the second round of wounding or attacking something with invuln savs and you are hooped. Best you can hope for is ongoing reserves...worst is to just straight up die. This rule just didn't need to be changed. It was fantastic as it was. Super fluffy, great visual and made sense and could actually effect vehicles (rear armor vs. side). All it needed was the 30pts price drop and ignore cover and it would be perfect. Now you have to be ultra picky of where you are going to put him and he WILL mishap during your games.

A benefit of the Mawloc is that it can still burrow after failing an IB roll so they don't require synapse.

Frankly, if I run them, I want to mishap for the chance at ongoing reserves. Having it in ongoing reserves is not only increasing the number of shots, it also protects the unit from fire. Your opponent does get to choose where to place it 33%, but the unit also has Hit & Run to escape assault. 83% of the time you're about as well off as you would be without a mishap, but with a considerable chance at being better off.

If you play this unit, you're playing the variance of it. And you might also consider Acid Blood to get that little bit more out of it.

That being said I would always take Biovores first.

Edit: Oh, and it also has infinite range which is nice.
    Last edited by AlmostMercury; 01-22-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    I am talking about when you actually mishap, not wounding and doing actual damage (which is obviously way up from the previous edition). Plus now all it takes is being near a tank, a multi wound model that isnt T3, rolling a single "1" on the second round of wounding or attacking something with invuln savs and you are hooped. Best you can hope for is ongoing reserves...worst is to just straight up die. This rule just didn't need to be changed. It was fantastic as it was. Super fluffy, great visual and made sense and could actually effect vehicles (rear armor vs. side). All it needed was the 30pts price drop and ignore cover and it would be perfect. Now you have to be ultra picky of where you are going to put him and he WILL mishap during your games.
    wow, that's a lot of failures there...

You mean a single multi-wound model that isn't T4. aka, *WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING PALADINS WITH THE MAWLOC*?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    wow, that's a lot of failures there...

You mean a single multi-wound model that isn't T4. aka, *WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING PALADINS WITH THE MAWLOC*?
    You DO know you scatter 66% of the time right? If you are going to comment please actually think about what you are talking about and take the rage glasses off. I am clearly talking about those little unforseen things that WILL happen every game and how easy it is make your Mawloc mishap now. I am still going to use my Mawlocs as I have two of them and they are one of my fave figs in the entire range. All I am saying is that they were more effective as a disruptive force last edition as they virtually never mishapped and were guaranteed 2nd turn deep strikes while they will do more damage this edition they will mishap way more and they will only show up 66% of the time on turn 2 so they are less of a disruptive force. It's a personal preference right? I personally like how they functioned last edition and would have loved to see that still in the book as to me it made way more sense then 2 blasts.
    Last edited by Ghoulio; 01-22-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: not enough nudity

Chapter-Master

Yes, I know that you scatter 66% of the time, and the chances of scattering into something you do not like are still very low, considering the amount of infantry that people use in the game.

You need to take a chill pill, the Mawloc is 10x better than before.

Besides, the Mawloc scattered just as much as before.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 01-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Tynskel, what happens if u face an entire army of grey knights simply consisting of paladins and draigo some mre paladins, plus 2 dreadnoughts and stormtalons?? What wud u do, with 3 mawlocs, vs a flyer spam?? Vs 3 heldrakes, vs 3 vendettas, vs a mix of both? U do know that most armies (except nids and orks) tend to prefer low amount of models with high amount of shots.... what wud u do if u had a unit a real easy unit for a mawloc to explode beneath their feet, only theyre deployed AROUND a riptide, or a wraiyhknight, what if all his units are in wave serpents? What if u play vs a white scar army all t5.... u cant put so many points on 1 slightly risky unit like the mawloc...u have to take into account fliers and fmcs thats our main priority as we dnt have any skyfire, a unit that can be killed by a mawloc can be killed by an exocrine and its safer, a few crones vectirstriking, dakkafexs, dakkaflyrants, hormagaunts with t.sacs..why even risk 420pts just so 1 guardsman survives and he mishaps.... its really a no brainer, mawloc is nice for friendlies not for competitive lists...

Btw every1 is saying trygons got nerfed....we lost the rerolls, so slightly worse vs units, but since we have A5 we get 3 smash +1 charge +1 x2 scy taks so we have 5 smash attacks now not 3 like before.... so u can essentially smash every turn against any1....I dno but give it adr.glands and its 205pts and u have reroll charge, give it REGEN and as soon as ur opponent sees a 220pt monster like that in the middle of his lines, then mention regen aaaand did any1 mention a disruption unit??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Caruana View Post
    Tynskel, what happens if u face an entire army of grey knights simply consisting of paladins and draigo some mre paladins, plus 2 dreadnoughts and stormtalons?? What wud u do, with 3 mawlocs, vs a flyer spam?? Vs 3 heldrakes, vs 3 vendettas, vs a mix of both? U do know that most armies (except nids and orks) tend to prefer low amount of models with high amount of shots.... what wud u do if u had a unit a real easy unit for a mawloc to explode beneath their feet, only theyre deployed AROUND a riptide, or a wraiyhknight, what if all his units are in wave serpents? What if u play vs a white scar army all t5.... u cant put so many points on 1 slightly risky unit like the mawloc...u have to take into account fliers and fmcs thats our main priority as we dnt have any skyfire, a unit that can be killed by a mawloc can be killed by an exocrine and its safer, a few crones vectirstriking, dakkafexs, dakkaflyrants, hormagaunts with t.sacs..why even risk 420pts just so 1 guardsman survives and he mishaps.... its really a no brainer, mawloc is nice for friendlies not for competitive lists...
    Why do you think mishaping is so bad? 50% of the time he goes into ongoing reserves and you can get your double blast again next turn. 33% of the time your opponent places him in the corner, and he can reburrow and come up again in 2 turns. There is only a 17% chance of him dying. I love the new Mawloc rules, the mishap rule gives him a chance to do a lot more damage over the course of the game.
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast