BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default WW1 Inspired Imperial Guard project.

I recently began working on an idea I've had for a while now, a WW1 era British Army themed Imperial Guard army. Not the most original idea I know but still, I really like the look of the historical uniforms. I picked up a Cadian Battleforce as well as some extra bits from Kromlech, West Wind Productions and Pig Iron Productions and got to work. Here is the WIP stuff first:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squad.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	6970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sergeant.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	6971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vox.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	6972

This is one half of an Infantry Squad. The squad features heads from West Wind Productions and backpacks from Kromlech. As well as the extra bits I also added GS shin wraps and shaved the forward sights off the lasgun. The sergeant makes use of one of the Pig Iron Kolony Command Head, I thought the cap would help him to stand out from the rest of the squad. I also made a slight conversion to the Vox Caster, I thought that the vox pack looked a little too techy for the look I was going for. Instead I clipped a couple of aerials from the vox pack and glued them to a Kromlech backpack.

Name:	572239_md-.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	6973

For the heavy weapons team I have used the Auto-cannon team but decided against mounting it onto a tripod. Instead I have created a gun carriage from a 1/72 scale German Wagon. I have drawn inspiration from the WW1 field guns such as the 13 pounder.
    Last edited by Madrilous; 01-29-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Visit my blog for Warhammer related news, projects and tutorials: http://thefrayingpaintbrush.blogspot.co.uk/blog

Nice project so far.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

I like the idea, I look forward to seeing how you handle the treads...

After completing the assembly of my infantry squad I thought I would have a go at something a little different so I decided to build my sentinel. I went for the Armageddon style enclosed cab (protection from gas attacks) and made a couple of small additions. I wanted the sentinel to feel as though it is un-perfected technology, so I added a few extra pipes and tanks. I also added a couple of armor plates to the upper sections of the legs as well as a storage compartment behind the cab.

Name:	Sentinel+Front.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	7049

Name:	Sentinel+Rear.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	7050

Finally I have the completed half of my infantry squad. When painting them I tried to be as historically accurate as was possible. I made use of pictures of the British uniforms and equipment to try and match the colours.

Name:	blogger-image--214302112.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	7051

Name:	blogger-image--742918132.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	7052
    Visit my blog for Warhammer related news, projects and tutorials: http://thefrayingpaintbrush.blogspot.co.uk/blog

Here is the start of my Grenadiers (stormtroopers/veterens). I wanted them to stand out from the rank file whilst steel feeling like the rest of the army. This meant that the current Stormtrooper miniatures wouldn't do. Instead I went for the maxmini greatcoat legs, I felt like this would add that air of elite to the standard Cadian kit. I also felt that the west wind production heads were a little bland for my needs, therefore I went for the Maxmini Neobrit Trencher heads. They still had the tommy helmet and gas mask but looked a little more 'techy'. To represent the Hot shot lasgun I added a pipe from the lasgun magazine to backpack. To finish off, I added some GS cuffs and an extra shoulder plate.

Name:	Grenadiers+front.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	7057

Name:	Grenadiers+rear.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	7058

For the sergeant I used the bionic arm from the command squad sprue, mainly because I really like the sabre and I think some bronze bionic gizmos will give it that industrial era look.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Madrilous; 01-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.

I love the theme! The heads with the gas masks look great and really give off the WWI vibe. Great work!

Fly Lord

The infantry really pull it together.

Great theme!

Please keep this one going.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

First-Captain

your IG Tommies are looking great, I really like your paintwork on them, and the senty gives off a great Steampunk vibe with the extra conversions, I really can't wait to see some tanks now...